PDA

View Full Version : 2014 VW Toureg

davecooper47
24th June, 2016, 10:45 PM
I thought my VagDashProg was faulty so asked my mate if I could test it on his 2014 Toureg which I have done 3 times before. It connected and read mileage so I presumed my unit was ok. Unplugged and went home. Next morning my mate rang and said he has a blacked out dash. Absolutely nothing. I went round to read it again but "failed to initialize can". After much trauma it transpired that my OBD adapter was faulty so I got a new one. Done several cars that I had "failed to initialize can" problem with before with no problem so I know adapter is now fine.

My problem is that I can't get my mates dash back to life. I'm still getting "failed to initialize can" with his car only. I know the dash is part of the can and I've had this happen before but running the program again has always cured it.

VCDS shows DTC's in nearly every location and when I clear them it says they are cleared but when it does the rescan they are all still there. The main one that concerns me is "instrument cluster unreachable".

The car still runs and drives fine but the dash is completely dead.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Many thanks

Dave.

diagtech
24th June, 2016, 10:59 PM
Did you by any chance do dash before they were fully obd and have an eeprom save mate

azepako
24th June, 2016, 11:01 PM
disconnect car battery 5 minute aftaire connect car battery

davecooper47
25th June, 2016, 12:37 AM
Diagtech, Yes I did and I thought of that but the problem is: I upgraded my machine with Smelecom not long after I did it and they wanted the SD card left in it and I didn't back it up. How's your luck??? I might ring them on the off chance they still have it here and hasn't gone to china yet. So far I'm keeping fingers crossed that disconnecting the battery might do it but even that looks like a proper chore!!! Under the passenger seat.

diagtech
25th June, 2016, 12:53 AM
Sorry to say but wouldnt hold my breath with that one but removing battery will probably do the trick as dash does go black while programming so good chance reset will work.

ajayrao
25th June, 2016, 07:40 AM
i get same proplem im buy new dash no one can fixed it only buy new dash if u want new one i have .

davecooper47
25th June, 2016, 01:40 PM
It's on lease and under warranty mate. I'm not buying anything.

davecooper47
27th June, 2016, 07:38 PM
Problem solved. Nothing wrong with dash. Ajayrao thanks for trying to help me spend unnecessary money. If you want to get rid of your spare dash try gumtree.

Problem was solved by simply removing the instrument cluster fuse and replacing it straight away. Didn't even need to wait 5 minutes. 5 amp fuse number 52 on drivers side panel for anyone interested.

drpeter
27th June, 2016, 08:21 PM
Problem solved. Nothing wrong with dash. Ajayrao thanks for trying to help me spend unnecessary money. If you want to get rid of your spare dash try gumtree.

Problem was solved by simply removing the instrument cluster fuse and replacing it straight away. Didn't even need to wait 5 minutes. 5 amp fuse number 52 on drivers side panel for anyone interested. i had a simular "problem" with a a6 2012 yesterday. I read the old value typed the new value but the customer wanted a other value so i pressed on escape. Result dash still in boot mode. Black dash but car starts. Removed battery (reset) and all came back alive. I made a backup though :-).