PDA

View Full Version : Can I 'upgrade' 10 Meg to 50 Meg?

Toilet sniffer V
2nd September, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'm getting 10 Meg installed but the company also do 20 and 50 Meg. Is there any way I can test to see the difference myself without signing up for a long term contract?

nevovx
2nd September, 2009, 09:24 AM
What kind of test or results are you after , as far as i can see they are all on the same network , same optic fibre cables only difference is speed which Virgin caps on their end and sends the config file to modem which then locks at that speed. ( Excluding online storage and photo prints limits )

Speed wise 10mb will be around 1.0 MB/sec , 20 mb will be around 1.9 mb/sec and 50mb will be around 4.9 to 6.2 MB/sec.
So if money is not a problem and you will make use of unlimited online storage choose 50mb as it looks promising with ?8 difference between 20MB and ?12 difference between the "L" package.

However it is best to calculate total annual cost including all charges to determine which broadband is good as in cost/speed/limit/feature/support telephone charges etc.

I am currently paying O2 ?9.75 (o2 mobile customer) for 20mb unlimited usage which gets me download speeds around 2.2 MB/s .
So myself i wont be looking at any above packages until my requirements changes.

Also above thoughts are for Virgin Broadband which i assume what you are getting.

Dont you guys think they are desperate to get customers as looking at their homesite for 50mb their adverts/ slogan claim downloading 15GB HD movie in 45 minutes , i wonder if they are talking about legal or illegal downloads :D

Toilet sniffer V
2nd September, 2009, 09:33 AM
What kind of test or results are you after , as far as i can see they are all on the same network , same optic fibre cables only difference is speed which Virgin caps on their end and sends the config file to modem which then locks at that speed. ( Excluding online storage and photo prints limits )

Speed wise 10mb will be around 1.0 MB/sec , 20 mb will be around 1.9 mb/sec and 50mb will be around 4.9 to 6.2 MB/sec.
So if money is not a problem and you will make use of unlimited online storage choose 50mb as it looks promising with ?8 difference between 20MB and ?12 difference between the "L" package.

However it is best to calculate total annual cost including all charges to determine which broadband is good as in cost/speed/limit/feature/support telephone charges etc.

I am currently paying O2 ?9.75 (o2 mobile customer) for 20mb unlimited usage which gets me download speeds around 2.2 MB/s .
So myself i wont be looking at any above packages until my requirements changes.

Also above thoughts are for Virgin Broadband which i assume what you are getting.

Dont you guys think they are desperate to get customers as looking at their homesite for 50mb their adverts/ slogan claim downloading 15GB HD movie in 45 minutes , i wonder if they are talking about legal or illegal downloads :D

Yeah it's obvious they are happy for people to use it to download things illegally. Which is surprising that they rolled over last year and started sending threatening letters to their customers. Carphone Warehouse refused.

What I actually wanted to do was somehow get my Virgin 10 Meg upto 50 Meg for free but I was trying to be subtle about it. Can you flash the modem or something similar so it just gives me the maximum amount it can? I've got Gmail for any files I want to put online and will get a big hard drive when I get my Eurovox box later this week so I'm not bothered about that side, I just want a really fast connection.

mikeyb
2nd September, 2009, 09:42 AM
have a google for Haynes cable modem guide, I don't think we are allowed to discuss modem hacking on here

nevovx
2nd September, 2009, 09:49 AM
have a google for Haynes cable modem guide, I don't think we are allowed to discuss modem hacking on here
Although i dont have much experience using cable modem wont Virgin find out if modem is hacked to allow extra speed then what his package is.

mikeyb
2nd September, 2009, 04:02 PM
It does involve sending false information to virgin and tricking their systems.