PDA

View Full Version : Need help to do a reinstall!!!!!

gizmo.1484
2nd September, 2009, 04:20 PM
I want to do a reinstall of my op system but have not got a clue where to start. I have not got a boot CD so where can i get xp pro/windows 7 to install on my PC.
When i get a new op how do i go about installing it onto my PC as i do not want to ~~~~ my lappy any help will be much appreciated.
If some one has a guide on how to do this please post.

Thanks peeps........

cgscott
2nd September, 2009, 08:49 PM
As long as you have a cd/dvd drive you can install windows no probs all you do is change the bios settings to boot from cd.

Insert the cd with the OS on it and follow the instructions. You may want to find out what driver you have for your Ethernet card as sometimes the are not found on fresh install.

After that its a case of downloading the drivers you need to get your lappy back up and running with the new OS.

Download my attachment and make a list of the drivers you have on your PC.

Cards etc.

nevovx
2nd September, 2009, 09:31 PM
Also make sure you backup any documents / pictures / files you want to keep.

cloudnineuk54
2nd September, 2009, 09:42 PM
ive also noticed that on three lappys all different makes when ive installed windows 7 its found all drivers,never had that before

cgscott
2nd September, 2009, 09:50 PM
Depends on how new the laptops are. Microsoft do the best to introduce all drivers to there operating system on release.

But there can always be issues.

I always backup my ethernet card before any fresh install of any OS in case it refuses to recognize the driver.

That way im online and can download whatever i need.

cloudnineuk54
2nd September, 2009, 09:56 PM
agree with you scott,myself i use a usb wi fi dongle to connect if needed. but yeah if i never had one of those id deffo back my ethernet up. can be a right pain otherwise

nevovx
2nd September, 2009, 10:49 PM
Also for older laptops which has 82810 G/M/GL series onboard intel vga , Windows 7 does recognise the onboard vga and trys to install the driver from windows update , however upon restarting windows 7 crushes and restarts with a startup system restore.

I ve tried lot of drivers and found win2000 drivers to work ok if you do get problems with the windows drivers. You ll have to use manual install as setup.exe will not run due to OS id not supported.

gizmo.1484
3rd September, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for that guys i will give it a go. Will i have to boot from the CD every time or will it store the new op? Also how do i change the bios to boot from the cd?

cgscott
3rd September, 2009, 03:34 PM
Once installed change the bios back to boot from HDD.

Depending on what laptop you got it could be any of the F buttons.

It will tell you at the bottom of the screen when you boot. Could also be the delete button to get into bios.

ricker18
3rd September, 2009, 03:59 PM
Use searchshared.com to look on MEGAUPLOAD for an xp essentials disc because it doesn't need key or activation!

cgscott
3rd September, 2009, 04:03 PM
Pm me if you want with details of OS and i'll send you a disc.

gizmo.1484
3rd September, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that m8. When i do a back up i will take you up on that. Can you back everything at once like op/files/drivers on to one disk?

Is there any special way to back up? As i have not got a clue.

nevovx
3rd September, 2009, 08:34 PM
Depends on the amount of files you need to backup.
I normally keep 2 partitions on 1 hard disk drive systems. 1 Partition to install operating system , the other to keep my data. Makes it easy to install any os. I believe you are going to install Windows 7 , in that case i wouldnt suggest using backup software as it would cause problems when restoring due to different folders in windows 7. As for drivers you can just write the names down for most common ones e.g display adapter, sound card , network cards , modem and chipset. As long as you install LAN drivers you can find the rest on the net or Windows 7 will probably find most of them anyway.

If you need backups for specific application data let us know.