PDA

View Full Version : freesat in ireland

billy2
17th July, 2008, 01:43 AM
hi gays anyone know if you can get free sat in ireland ???

thanks

billy2
20th July, 2008, 11:50 AM
:( anyone please

metall1
22nd July, 2008, 09:56 PM

thanks

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, it's all decoded by the receiver is it not? If your close to Newry or Derry you could call in to Argos and purchase a receiver, cheapest is ?50 for SD and ?120 for HD and this is assuming that you already have a dish installed and pointing at 28East.

Just to be on the safe side this quote is from the Freesat website:

"No subscription, no contract, ever. Just a one-off payment, then nothing more to pay.

For more details or if you have any questions, give us a call on 0845 313 0052"

If in doubt, give them a call.

targettarget
18th November, 2008, 03:05 AM
Confirmed Humax HD working near Cork City with a sky mini dish. have it since the launch date. horse in a postcode and thats it. the guys on that phone are and will help u out if you have setup problems. they aint like sorry uk only

paulso
20th November, 2008, 08:40 PM
yea im in belfast works a treat

alunfennell
20th November, 2008, 09:06 PM
Ebay.co.uk have loads, pay using Paypal or credit Card as long as you pay the postage and packaging they will sent it to you where ever you are living.

Jasmeet_87
21st November, 2008, 07:12 PM
You should be able to pick up Freesat boxes rebadged as Sat4Free in Ireland, see:
Sat4Free launches in Ireland Join Freesat (http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/sat4free-launches-in-ireland)
Freesat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat#Republic_of_Ireland)

cauliflower69
29th November, 2008, 03:20 PM
I have installed loads of these, the HD and SD and have the latest PVR on the way to install.

All these installations are in the West of Ireland btw

mcfranci
11th January, 2009, 05:27 PM
No problem getting free sat I,m iin Dublin and no prob technomate 1500. 28E

jofus48
1st February, 2009, 06:48 PM
I had no problem with Freesat in Dublin - went for the High Definition decoder

I bought the Humax Freesat HD box in (Dixons or Currys) in the UK. Brought it home, unplugged the cable from my ancient (2nd hand) Sky One box - plugged the cable into the Humax box and was up and running in less than 5mins.

In reality - High Definition is limited
You get the BBC HD channel (a mix and match of programs)
and ITV HD is via the red button.

6 nations rugby on BBC should be HD (from Twickenham, Cardiff or Murrayfield)
Champions Leage on ITV is in HD

Allegedly more channels will be added

When setting up the box you have to enter a postcode.
This determines which regional variations of BBC & ITV that will go on channels 101, 102, 103.
If you have a Standard Def Freesat box - pick a postcode in Northern Ireland (eg BT35 8HJ for Dunnes Stores in Newry). That will give you BBC-NI and UTV by default.
If you have a High Def Freesat box dont pick a NI postcode as UTV dont do High Def. (Same applies to STV in Scotland)

I used SW1A 1AA as my postcode :)

I believe that Homebase and Tescos are selling a rebranded Freesat offering for about €300 - this covers the dish, decoder box and installation.

Im tempted to flog my Humax box - cos I saw a new toy the other day that does more..... has a satellite decoder and a digital terrestrial decoder in the one unit - and mixes both into one EPG

Hope that helps

despdan
1st February, 2009, 09:52 PM

thanks

Hi billy

take a look at this post

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f10/mmds-sathd-irish-dtt-25658/

wozzo
7th February, 2009, 09:37 PM
Im in dublin and have picked up a cheap Sky dish which i am going to install and get one of the Humax HDRs, ill let ya know how i get on :)

flutered
7th February, 2009, 09:47 PM
google mvision recievers they do both sat and terrestial, plus they are not really expensive

targettarget
15th February, 2009, 01:43 PM
works fine near Cork City

kah22
16th February, 2009, 10:49 PM
Glad to hear you guys down south can receive FreeSat. Now how about putting the shoe on the other foot - can we up in the Black North receive RTE via FreeSat, or do we still have to rely on sky or the old fashion aerial?

Kevin

wozzo
16th February, 2009, 11:15 PM
There testing a DTT system, i believe its a digital form of the standard analogue Ariels, but i think there range would be quite limited, maybe possible from NI.

cauliflower69
22nd February, 2009, 07:18 PM
Sky have rte not on freesat at the moment and you could pick up rte up north with an analogue aerial.

trickykid
24th February, 2009, 08:25 PM
google mvision recievers they do both sat and terrestial, plus they are not really expensive

true. I've got the hd200 and it's brilliant. Quality in HD is superb, plus it has a usb port and you can hook any external hard drive (even a pendrive) to record anything from tv.

PotBelly
31st August, 2009, 07:29 PM
Apologies for dragging up an old thread but its better than opening a new one.

Anyway, with the recent nthell upgrade to n3 I was looking to learn a bit about freesat systems.

A friend of mine recommended a mvision hd box. He also said that you can just plug it straight onto the coax from your sky box and its up and running.Is this true?

Has anyone any opinion of these mvision boxes and could you recommend a good hd model.

Does it upscale all the tv channels to hd?

Can you get rte1 and net2 on these boxes?

Thanks

daithi
5th September, 2009, 07:13 PM
from what i think the only way to get rte net 2 etc
is either on an irish sky package, ntl package or in ireland with an antenna on your roof

as for that box your on about i dont no much about them but i doubt ya can just plug it in and watch away,
maybe if you bought it off someone and they had it setup already
most boxes need some software on them and some need to be constantly connected to the internet

cauliflower69
5th September, 2009, 07:54 PM
in order to receive digital tv you will need an aerial connected to it capable or receiving the transmitter closest to you and in the correct band or a Wide band aerial.

You can not get this threw the satellite what you will receive is the FTA satellite channels