PDA

View Full Version : does any body know how to unlock a nokia n97

gibbo74
4th September, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hi All
if got a nokia N97 that i got with my last upgrade but i never use it i still use my blackberry however i want to know can they be unlocked to another network im on t-mobile ?
and if so can it be done for free?

firestorm
4th September, 2009, 02:36 PM
yes they can but i was quoted ?60 for unlocking and de branding

gibbo74
4th September, 2009, 03:39 PM
?60 thats got to be a rip off
is that in wigan pal?

nevovx
5th September, 2009, 12:23 AM
I believe they unlock these units for few quid in uk with an unlock code which they can generate just by giving your imei number. If they are charging that amount for unbranding thats a different story.

gibbo74
5th September, 2009, 10:37 AM
went to my local moblie guy on the market that does all th unlocking and he says it will take 3 -5 days and cost ?50 because they have to hack the security on the fone ,wish is a lot harder than it used to be on other nokias

nevovx
5th September, 2009, 03:18 PM
To be honest i still dont believe it should cost that much , you might say why here is a scenario,

Well firstly 1 person or group hacks this phone , manages to unbrand or unlock whichever , then releases a program or tutorial how to accomplish it for all other users.

Few users / companys have phone unlocking boxes business and by checking the exploit they update their boxes or programs to unlock the phones. So end user i am gonna refer which is the people who owns these boxes (small phone shops , market stalls etc ) just use these boxes to unlock rather then going thru the phone and hacking it themselves. Well this is my opinion anyway.

In your case , the guy at the market stall probably needs to send the phone to 1 step higher then him which probably they have access to such unlocking method and that why it will take 3/5 days.