PDA

View Full Version : Returning to a cable area - advise please

billybob69
31st July, 2016, 12:38 PM
Hi all,

I am shortly moving back to a cable area (after 6 years away). When I left, I had the following set-up -
Modded Dreambox DM500C
Modded Ambit 256 modem
Modded Motorola Surfboard SB5100 modem
Linksys router

I'm a bit out of touch, although it is my birthday soon, so hopefully will be getting some TV gifts. But was wondering if there are any benefits re: throttling from having a modded modem / router these days?

Realise that there is only a certain amount that can be discussed on this board, so any pointers or nudges gratefully accepted.

bb69

vorlon2257
1st August, 2016, 07:00 AM
The modded modem will not work anymore as VM have change from Docis to Docis3 so it's incapatible with Docis3, You will need one of VM new superhubs so you will have to take out a subscription for broadband with VM for that and as far as I'm aware they can't be tampered with (if you know what I mean). Your dreambox will work but you will need what can't be discuss on here(google is you friend for this) for that to work, but it is as old as the hills and there are far more better modern box's to look at.

billybob69
1st August, 2016, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the reply.
The DM500C has long since been upgraded (to a DM600 then a DM800 and finally to DM8000). Although I did love the simplicity of the old DM500 ! My current 'box' is the HTPC that I built.
The house has a satellite dish so I will - initially at least - use that for my TV, but you used to be able to plug the VM cable into a dreambox and pick up their FTA channels. Is that still possible?

digicon
1st August, 2016, 10:34 AM
The 5 Main channels are still FTA BBC1,2,ITV,CH4,Ch5 the rest are Scrambled

billybob69
1st August, 2016, 12:53 PM
Blimey are those the only FTA channels that they offer now! Their selection previously was on par with Freeview or Freesat.

I'm assuming if I want to pick up those channels, I need to plug a cable into my DVB-T tuner and do a scan. Is there anything else that I need to do in the scan settings?

bb69

Hadron
3rd August, 2016, 01:02 PM
There are a few more FTA channels.

In my area I can get:-

BBC 1 (+ BBC 1 AD/Scotland/NI/Wales)
BBC 2 (+ BBC 2 AD)
ITV (+ ITV Audio Desc)
CH 4 (+ CH 4 Audio Desc)
Channel 5 (+ Channel 5 Audio Desc)
S4C (+ S4C Audio Desc)
BBC 4