PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Openbox questions...

lewdsnarler
7th August, 2016, 12:31 PM
Hi Everyone...

Am ordering an Openbox V8S this afternoon, got a couple of questions I wanted to ask... Just knocking Sky on the head, dunno why but everytime I watch they have an Ad break, and when you flick channels they sync the ads to them all. So I thought I'd try Freesat. So here goes...

(1) The EPG. - Been looking at YouTube videos... And it looks like you can only see Now and Next Programmes... Any way to record for up to 7 days?

(2) Adding a Hard Drive for recording... Do I format it to FAT32? Isn't there a 4GB limit on the files? And does this create issues for HD shows? And will a portable 1TB drive do, or would a large USB Stick be good enough?

martin035
7th August, 2016, 12:48 PM
1. There is a 7 day (ish) xmltv EPG which the box downloads the data for, however, it can be problematic, read the various thread in this sub forum to see why.
2. You can format the drive to NTFS as that will work, the size of drive depends on whether you want to keep the recordings, if you watch and delete then a much small drive would do ie 64gb stick drive.

DOUGALMCD
7th August, 2016, 01:29 PM
You would need to look at dual tuner box also if you want to record and watch at the same time.

lewdsnarler
7th August, 2016, 04:55 PM
Thanks for letting me know... I'm not a big recorder, just wanted the option there. I've got a spare drive lying around, will try NTFS

Hadron
7th August, 2016, 07:40 PM
The drive should work formatted to FAT32 or NTFS. The 4GB file limit won't be a problem with FAT32 as the recordings are recorded as a series of 1GB files, then played back in sequence when you watch the recording.