PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft again: No Blu-Ray on Xbox

caveman_nige
18th July, 2008, 08:29 AM
Shane Kim, vice president of strategy and business development for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment business, tells me that the company has "no interest" in adding Blu-Ray functionality to its console, opting instead to focus on digital distribution.

"I can categorically say that we're not working on a Blu-Ray player for Xbox 360," says Kim. "To my knowledge, we don't have any intent to do that."

Kim, though, says the company is more interested in pursuing digital distribution as a method for building its non-gaming audience.

Microsoft backed up those claims Monday, unveiling a partnership with Netflix (allowing Xbox Live subscribers the ability to stream up to 10,000 movies and television shows directly through their Xbox 360 starting this fall.

Source: Forbes.com

DrKahn
27th July, 2008, 06:18 PM
the only way blu-ray will catch on would be when they create a dvd/blu-ray player hybrid....which will never happen, and besides blu ray discs are waaay to expensive...

randomuser83
28th July, 2008, 07:04 PM
What are you talking about. They are just as much as HD DVDs and there on sale for like 30 bucks.

Raven
13th November, 2009, 09:34 PM
Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread but there's been fresh talk about this topic recently, again Microsoft saying they've no plans for blu-ray....it's not so much the fact that Microsoft are disinterested in blu-ray....but it'll never happen because of Microsoft's pride (their format lost and taking bluray even if offered would be like them admitting defeat) and also mainly because both Apple and Sony are on the board of directors that created the blu ray format. So unless Microsoft can pile tonnes of money at the board and nab a majority vote there's no way they're getting in ever. Which as things stand is a big problem for them especially regarding their next console.

And what's the natural response to something you can't have - "heh, don't want it anyway it's crap!".