PDA

View Full Version : Crackers claim iPhone 3G hack

caveman_nige
18th July, 2008, 08:35 AM
A group of developers has claimed to have cracked the iPhone 3G.

Apple's latest version of the iPhone was released to market on Friday last week. Within hours, the iPhone Dev Team, which cracked the original iPhone, claimed to have hacked the operating system behind the iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0.

The iPhone Dev Team also claimed to have developed a tool, 'PwnageTool 2.0', that will enable users to 'jailbreak', or run unofficial, third-party apps, on their iPhone 3G. In a blog post, the iPhone Dev Team posted a link to a video which they claim shows PwnageTool 2.0 in action.

"Many, many hours have gone into this and now it should be as easy enough for your grandmother to use," an iPhone Dev Team member wrote in the blog post.

PwnageTool 2.0 has not yet been released due to tests aimed at making sure it is "glitch free", the blog post stated.

A report in tech publication Gizmodo on Thursday claimed that not only had the iPhone 3G been jailbroken but that the iPhone Dev Team had managed to unlock the phone, enabling people to use any carrier. At the moment, people wishing to use the iPhone must use O2 in the UK and AT&T in the U.S.

However, a former member of the iPhone Dev Team, George Hotz, who is also known as 'Geohot', claimed in a blog post that the iPhone Dev Team had not managed to unlock the iPhone 3G.

Hotz argued that the iPhone 3G uses a different bootloader to other versions of the iPhone, and there are no existing exploits for the iPhone 3G bootloader.

Bazzb
7th August, 2008, 10:31 AM
and i wana buy one too.. is it worth the money? or is it too big to carry around?

Hejira
7th August, 2008, 09:39 PM
PwnageTool

PC Based:
How to: Newbies Guide to WinPwn 2.0 Jailbreak (http://www.appleiphoneapps.com/2008/07/how-to-newbies-guide-to-winpwn-20-jailbreak/)

Mac Based:
How to: Newbies Guide to iPhone 3G Jailbreak (http://www.appleiphoneapps.com/2008/07/how-to-newbies-guide-to-iphone-3g-jailbreak/)

caveman_nige
29th August, 2008, 10:45 AM
and i wana buy one too.. is it worth the money? or is it too big to carry around?

I understand the battery is bollocks, will not last a day of service unless you switch off all services like wifi, bluetooth and gps. Now lets not forget how much battery it takes to power a large colour screen.. If you wanna play music get an mp3 player so that your phone wil have battery to make calls with..

Will need a user to post an unbiased review really..

personally, i wouldn't touch it..