PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Nissan Primera

AirShowNut
18th July, 2008, 11:24 AM
I own a 1996 Nissan Primera,1.6 litre 16v.
I am very happy with the car but have one niggle with it that i can't seem to get sorted.
If the car is full,ie five people,when going up hill the car really struggles and i have to down shift once or twice to keep going forwards.I realise the car was never meant to be a power house,but my previous car,a 1.4 litre 1989 Astra,would climb hills with five people in it as though it was a flat road.Can anyone give me a few pointers as to what could possibly be the problem,i am a fairly competent diy mechanic,done engine re-builds etc etc,so i am hoping i'll be able to sort this out without resorting to a garage.In all other respects the car runs perfectly.
The "nuts and bolts" bit i can do,i'm not too hot at diagnosing problems though which is why i decided to post this thread.
Any help/hints/tips appreciated.
Cheers.
:driver:

krazylegz
19th July, 2008, 08:46 PM
could just be that the engine is underpowered m8 and since the primera is a big heavy car plus 5 people in just makes it harder for the engine, or clutch could be starting to slip when put under pressure

prawny007
20th July, 2008, 04:36 PM
try out your clutch buddy handbrake on pop it in 2nd rev engine 4.5 000rpm take foot off clutch if engin stalls clutch is good iff rvs dop clutch is shaged m8

smirnoff_rules
20th July, 2008, 04:50 PM
im in the motor trade m8 and l wouldnt do that in 2rd .. 4th or 5th yes

AirShowNut
20th July, 2008, 05:43 PM
Tried the suggestion,and guess what ?!
The engine stalled,so i guess the clutch is ok.The engine revs drop when going uphill fully loaded with people,if clutch was suspect i'd expect revs to rise the more it slipped,and to smell too.I guess this niggle is going to haunt me for a while longer.

Femalelizzard
24th July, 2008, 10:30 PM
1996 primera 1.6 with 5 people going up a hill I bet you have to drop a few gears I reckon thats normal up a hill with 5 people if it struggles abit just use 3rd gear and do the norm 30mph are drop to second if its loosing thats normal I reckon

AirShowNut
25th July, 2008, 11:25 AM
Never had this prob with other cars i've owned in the past.As i said in my first post i used to own a 1989 1.4 Vauxhall Astra which would go uphill in 5th gear with five people on board no problem.I assumed that the Primera being a bigger engine would be able to do the same.Maybe i have an air leak somewhere ?
Back to the drawing board i guess lol.