PDA

View Full Version : What is a dreambox and how does it work???

NLYID
8th September, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hi guys,

Can any tell me what a dreambox is as i have head alot about it but am a little confused.

i currently have a sv4 super usb, and am completely happy but was wondering if the dreabox is better and what the difference is ??

how does it work, i have ask around and somebody told me that it works throught the internet is that true??

can i get more channels??

what channels can i get?

Also what do i need to buy and what is the best model to but as i have heard that there are alot of different models ??

Is is simple to update and install

marxian
8th September, 2009, 12:45 PM
A cable Dreambox will only get you the same channels as your Starview. Dreamboxes do have some extra features, such as a web interface and the ability to stream video via the internet. You can also stream video from your PC to your TV via a Dreambox.

You do not need to connect a Dreambox to the internet in order to receive any channels. In this respect it works in much the same way as the other boxes.

They are quite simple to set up, though they do take a little more effort than a Starview or Eurovox.

The cheapest model is the DM500C. This is the most basic model. The DM600 has the option of fitting an internal HDD, for PVR usage. The DM800HD can decode HD signals and also has the option of an internal HDD.

dctyper
8th September, 2009, 12:51 PM
a dreambox is a linux based receiver. it can recieve cable satallite or terrestrial signals(depends on what model)

you can add an image to this or and operating system, whatever you want to call it. this will allow you to tune in to fta channels. you can add a "program" that will act like a subscription card and decode the encrypted channels by the provider. remember, this is against the law.

they can also do many things. you can stream your tv channel to your pc, internet or phone. you can use your pc as a pvr device. or you can add an hdd to a better model. there are new hd models out now so you can recieve these channels also.

as for what box. get a 500c 1st and learn with it as the others are more expensive

you have the 600 with can have a hdd and you can change the tuner

and 800hd which is the same but hd

a new 500hd which cannot have an hdd(me think)

and 8000hd which is stupid

hope this helps

dc

Mushroom_seven
23rd December, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi,
I am in Canada and would like to buy dreambox which, I guess works through internet and get the channels from dishnetwork. If it is true, which is a cheap model to buy and is the dishnetwork on nagravision 3 up in canada. Tks.