PDA

View Full Version : Astra electrical fault

Ratchet
20th July, 2008, 09:47 PM
My old Astra (2001 plate) suddenly won't start and the steering is heavy (has power steering), the management system light is also on!! :guns:

I checked the battery and it's very low. I now think that the alternator might be the culprit.:2in1:

Anyone any other ideas to the cause of the fault?

smirnoff_rules
20th July, 2008, 10:00 PM
the power steering is linked into the alternator .. but will still start it u jump it ? wot engines in it and wots the symptoms

Ratchet
20th July, 2008, 10:32 PM
Cheers Smirnoff. It's 2001 1.7Tdi LS
symptoms :- Starter very sluggish then no power to turn (immobiliser light illuminated in dash the one with the car and spanner), jump started ok, but conked out during idle. Re jumped and tried to drive - no power steering! Got battery on trickle charger just now - showing as low.

smirnoff_rules
20th July, 2008, 10:37 PM
the engine light might be on because the voltage is low and that can trigger sensor faults . does sound like the alternator m8 . when u start is tomorrow with a charged battery see it the head lights go bright when u rev it , most alternators should bring the battery light on when there ~~~~ed ?

Ratchet
20th July, 2008, 10:44 PM
Will try that m8.
Cheers again.

Ratchet
21st July, 2008, 09:53 PM
Battery charged overnight and fitted first thing, engine started first time and power steering ok for a while. During this time the only warning light on is the "battery" warning light. Now convinced 99.9% the fault is the alternator :nurse:. Anyway off the Majorca tomorrow :dancing:, so will update when I get back.

Ratchet
30th July, 2008, 10:24 PM
recon alternator fitted problem fixed...:burnout:

eddiegoldtooth
31st October, 2008, 08:12 PM
fan belt?
gone or stolen, turns alternater and water pump as well as power steering pump