PDA

View Full Version : MS Insider: 60 gig stanard is confirmed, supply issues down to poor planning

janobi
18th March, 2008, 04:48 AM
According to a rumored MS insider, it is 100% confirmed that the Xbox 360 hard drive is moving to a standard size of 60 GB. "Those configurations are in design verification testing right now. I'd bet that this changeover also contributed to the lack of units. When MS changes major sub-assemblies like this, they try not to over produce the old configurations." he said. He also says that the Microsofts supply issues in February were down to poor planning, supply chain and quality issues restricting production. He makes t clear that it was not a case of demand out stripping supply.

quote:

"I have to wonder what the real reasons are that they couldn't ship enough units. They might have converted production capacity for repair. This quarter is traditionally the peak load for returns, which lags peak holiday sales. They may have had supply chain problems of some type. Yield issues with the new CPU. Other quality issues, like a new high fail rate defect that limited how many they could make. Etc. "

As for larger HD's (hard drives), that was always the plan for later in the life cycle. But size was always TBD (to be determined). One consideration you didn't mention regarding the decision of BR (Blu-Ray) vs. downloaded content is streaming speed. I don't know about you guys, but I have BB (broadband) cable to my PC, and 802.1b/g wireless to my 360. It's pretty damn slow to get anything of size onto the 360. I can drive to the video store and back in less time than I could download an HD movie. That would seem to push them towards BR as the HD source for customer satisfaction.

News Source: seattlepi.nwsource.com