PDA

View Full Version : Needing help converting 720p avi file to 720p mkv format

jazzmanthe
11th September, 2009, 10:38 AM
Looking for some help please.

I have a couple of video files that are coded as 720p avi and I'm looking to see if its possible to convert them to 720p mkv.

Does anyone have any ideas for freeware/ steps involved that can do this or will I have to purchase conversion software? If so, does anyone have any suggestion or recommendations?

Thanks

John

nevovx
11th September, 2009, 11:53 AM
Searching avi to mkv gives a lot of results on google.

This looks easy and freeware, make a copy of the original file and try it .

http://how-2-do.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-convert-avi-to-mkv.html

jazzmanthe
11th September, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for that. I did try a google search, but came up with a lot of mkv to avi or different end formats.

Guess it goes to show a lot of what you get out of google is down to how you word it!

nevovx
12th September, 2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that. I did try a google search, but came up with a lot of mkv to avi or different end formats.

Guess it goes to show a lot of what you get out of google is down to how you word it!
Yeah google does wonders and sometimes single letters makes the search results different.

How are you getting on with conversion , hope it helped ; )

jazzmanthe
13th September, 2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah google does wonders and sometimes single letters makes the search results different.

How are you getting on with conversion , hope it helped ; )

Back to report that it works well in the conversion, just having the problem that its only converting the first 2 min of video, but all of the audio :(

Haven't had the proper amount of time to play fully, been a bit busy this weekend. I'll keep trying and let you know.

chroma
14th September, 2009, 05:08 AM
WHY?

MKV and AVI are only containers for streams.

An avi is composed of an Audio stream and a Video Stream.
Say an xvid and an mp3 muxed together.

An mkv can contain a few video audio and subtitle streams along with a text file to mark chapters.

Its only difference is that it can contain more stuff, it doesnt actualy change the quality of the sound or the video.

jazzmanthe
18th September, 2009, 03:13 PM
To cut a long story short, I'm using a ps3 as my media centre and as of yet it does not support mkv files.

Once I have a mkv file, I can convert it to a m2ts which the ps3 will play. I just have a couple of Mythbusters esps in 720p HD avi which I need to get to mkv to then convert to the m2ts.

Long winded, I know, but until sony support mkv directly, this is the only choice I have.