PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 64 bit

akbarirfan
11th September, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hi,

Anybody using Windows XP 64bit?

I installed it on a computer I recently built but finding drivers was awful so ended up going to 32bit..

What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Irfan

nevovx
12th September, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hi,

Anybody using Windows XP 64bit?

I installed it on a computer I recently built but finding drivers was awful so ended up going to 32bit..

What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Irfan
Tried it now and then but stuff i ve installed as in hardware wasnt supported on my main pc ( drivers ) so i went back to 32 bit. Not using anything requires 64 bit besides using available 4GB memory so not bothered at the moment.

akbarirfan
12th September, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yes that was my main problem..now I only utilise 3.5 Gb of RAM..I remember back a few years ago how much difference an additional 512 mb stick made!

Cannot say I am missing out though because I don't think I do anything to use the memory to its fullest anyway, I just wanted to max out the motherboard spec withn budget restraints in order to avoid possible future updates as much as possible.

nevovx
12th September, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yes that was my main problem..now I only utilise 3.5 Gb of RAM..I remember back a few years ago how much difference an additional 512 mb stick made!

Cannot say I am missing out though because I don't think I do anything to use the memory to its fullest anyway, I just wanted to max out the motherboard spec withn budget restraints in order to avoid possible future updates as much as possible.
Well thats a never ending story due to competition between manufacturers to be honest :D

Most home users have more then enough power comparing to what its been used for i believe , i guess it will always be like this.

nstz
12th September, 2009, 08:24 PM
akbarirfan, what are your hardware specs for the computer you installed Win XP 64 bit?

akbarirfan
12th September, 2009, 09:34 PM
Hi Nstz,

Specs are as follows:
Asus P5KPL-AM Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz 3mb Cache
4GB 800Mhz DDR2 Memory
160GB SATAII Segate HDD + 80GB IDE HDD

Is that enough?

Thanks

manxspud
13th September, 2009, 08:36 AM
Im not a fan of vista... but i use the vista black 64 bit for video edtting, i have only found a few minor probs with drivers and would recommend this version above the xp 64 bit any day. God never thought i would say that. I use 8gig of ram and mostly adobe software for video work... and work a treat it does.

akbarirfan
13th September, 2009, 10:36 AM
Is Vista Black from Microsoft or did others make it? Like with Superior Windows XP 64 bit..

Thanks

caveman_nige
13th September, 2009, 01:35 PM
Is Vista Black from Microsoft or did others make it? Like with Superior Windows XP 64 bit..

Thanks

it is not an officiAL MS release, its modded by savvy users... it is generally a little faster than a standard release as they cut some of crap out.. However if you use these 'modded' versions be sure to scan the hell out out of them with up to date AV, adaware, spyware removers etc etc.. be sure it is cleaned before you do anything with them,,

akbarirfan
13th September, 2009, 11:30 PM
I see I see..

Can you disable those annoying prompts that come up on Vista everytime you try to install something? Like the background fades out..