PDA

View Full Version : Zgemma Star 2S recording issues

an0n848
29th October, 2016, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I've recently upgraded to a zgemma (http://Zgemma.co.uk) star 2s from my old F5s box however i'm having issues recording.

I have done the latest update ( 4.002 i think it is ) and using an external 1tb hdd (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&field-keywords=hard%20drives&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahard%20drives&tag=techkingsorg-21&url=search-alias%3Daps) that came supplied with the box.

The strange problem is, is that the box will "sometimes" record and other times it will show the programme there in the file list but won't play it and when i highlight the recording i want to play it won't show the file size of the file so obviously when i go to play it, i get a brief black screen and then it returns me to the file list.

i've tried recording manually and using the planner, both of which have proven inconsistent, unless i physically record the programme myself while it's on the tv at the time i'm getting a 50/50 chance of it working. I have not messed with the settings too much but i have made the hdd never to be in standby mode or anything incase that was the issue.
It's really winding me up, one of the main reasons i got this box was for the advanced recording features and typically that just has to be the thing thats going wrong for me, i've tried searching all over and found nothing.

If anyone has any help or info it would be greatly appreciated

edit: just also noticed that if i try to go onto the channel i'm recording, all i get is a black screen with no sound or anything

all the best
Ben

cactikid
29th October, 2016, 03:35 PM
all i can say on this i hope you are running either 1.38 or 2.30 for multituner boxes.remember forum rules.

martin035
29th October, 2016, 03:41 PM
Update 4.002 sounds like Openvix? Which the vix team have killed everything to do with the Zgemma, you might have better success changing over to another firmware like openatv.

if you don't fancy doing that then try initialising your external to ext4 via
menu-setup-system-storage devices-initialisation This will delete everything on the hard drive

If the hard drive is USB powered your zgemma might not be providing enough power to run the hard drive, the easiest way to prove this is to add a USB stick drive and initialise that then try recording to that and see if it works.

an0n848
29th October, 2016, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, i have just tried to initialise the hdd again and got the "can't unmount media/hdd:device or resource busy" message, i have disabled timeshift and deleted the few recordings that worked but it won't initialise...
I am running wooshbuild and i have the latest update.
It's just strange how it sometimes will record and other times it won't it's literally a 50/50 chance.
The usb hdd was provided with the box and when it does decide to record it is faultless so i don't think it is a power issue.

I'm a complete newbie with this box so bare with me, is there anything else i can try?
all the best
ben

martin035
29th October, 2016, 05:12 PM
Try stopping your swapfile if you have one;
menu-info panel-plugins-swapmanager then deactivate and delete
then try and initialise your hard drive again.
then back to your swapfile and create activate and autostart
reboot

an0n848
29th October, 2016, 05:39 PM
Thank you, just done all that and i guess i'll have to try recording something to see if this has sorted out the issue, i will post back with the results.

all the best
Ben

an0n848
31st October, 2016, 06:57 PM
Unfortunately i'm still having the same recording issue, it shows the program in the file list like it's there but no file size associated with it so obviously if you try and play it all i get is a blank screen and then it returns to the file list.

I'm really struggling to understand whats causing this, when it does decide to record, it's absolutely fine, no issues what so ever.
Would appreciate any further help or information

edit: i've also just noticed that while a program was recording, i switched to another screen and just got a black screen with no sound or anything

all the best
Ben

martin035
31st October, 2016, 07:12 PM
You have got both your satellite feed cables connected to the correct ports on the back of your zgemma?

an0n848
31st October, 2016, 07:56 PM
I only have 1 cable going into "tuner A in"

please explain lol

martin035
31st October, 2016, 08:09 PM
I only have 1 cable.

please explain lol

To use the full potential of your zgemma it needs two feed cables from your satellite dish like a sky+ box, this will give you the ability to record one channel watch another, however alls not lost, you have two choices;
1. Pay to get another feed from your dish might also need a new LNB
2. Set you zgemma up for single feed, this will mean that you can only record/watch one channel at a time, if you set a timer record the zgemma will switch to this channel to record.

To setup for single feed, connect your satellite feed to tuner A
then on the remote;
menu-setup-service searching-tuner config and select tuner B and scroll to 'not config' save and exit

an0n848
31st October, 2016, 08:24 PM
Thank you for explaining that, the supplier of the box never mentioned this, despite me having a F5s before off him.

I think the most convenient solution really is to buy another cable and do it that way, the dish i currently have is the same as sky and has multiple LNB connections so that should be fine.

in the meantime i will set it up for single feed though, thanks again for explaining that.

Is it just a normal standard lnb cable i need to buy, off ebay for example?

martin035
31st October, 2016, 08:30 PM
Aye, standard satellite feed cable, might be easier & safer o get a local satellite installer to do it.