PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba telly

kevob215
12th September, 2009, 07:35 PM
pictures gone on the telly, but the sounds still working. anybody got any ideas?

ruudvandan
12th September, 2009, 08:46 PM
what type of telly is it? If it's an LCD then the backlight might have gone.

kevob215
13th September, 2009, 01:34 AM
yes. its an lcd. so what does that mean?

nevovx
13th September, 2009, 05:53 AM
It means if its a backlight problem screen or tv plays or shows fine but because it is dark you cant see it. See below.

Backlight Wikipedia
Backlight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_backlight)

"
A backlight is a form of illumination used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Backlights illuminate the LCD from the side or back of the display panel, unlike frontlights, which are placed in front of the LCD. Backlights are used in small displays to increase readability in low light conditions, and in computer displays and LCD televisions to produce light in a manner similar to a CRT display.
The most simple form of LCD display is built without an internal light source, which necessitates the use of external sources of light to make the screen and the information it conveys visible to the user. The modern LCD screen, however, has been built with its own internal source of light, so that the viewer will be able to see the screen even in total darkness. A modern LCD screen is made up of several layers. The backlight is usually the first layer (if looking from the back), responsible for the light emanating from the screen. But in order to create screen images, a mechanism is needed to turn down the intensity of light emanating from some of the screen's pixels. This is usually done by means of light valves that vary the amount of light reaching the target by blocking its passage in some way. The most common method is to use a polarizing filter to polarize the light from the source in one of two transverse directions and then passing it through a switching polarizing filter, to block the path of any unwanted light. "

Backlights itself

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00aDaQTftIcEtNM/CCFL-for-LCD-Backlighting.jpg

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/attachments/lcd-display/48923d1207587956-diy-lcd-backlight-brightness-image083.jpg

See the light coming from the bottom of the screen
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/fcastro75/Loose%20Images/new_shot_lcd4.jpg

alker ranger
15th February, 2010, 08:59 AM
Any ideas please, picture on toshiba is good the problem is its just green and purple, the tv guy has had it twice, and it works fine for a day then it switches its self off, when i turn it back on hey hey green and purple, its now starting to pi55 me off. is it time for the skip or could it be something simple, ps its not lcd or plasma, its about 5 yrs old, big heavy ~~~~er.cheers

ruudvandan
15th February, 2010, 07:03 PM
Any ideas please, picture on toshiba is good the problem is its just green and purple, the tv guy has had it twice, and it works fine for a day then it switches its self off, when i turn it back on hey hey green and purple, its now starting to pi55 me off. is it time for the skip or could it be something simple, ps its not lcd or plasma, its about 5 yrs old, big heavy ~~~~er.cheers

I'd tak t to the tip if i were you mate. They're worth nowt these days cos everyone wants an LCD or plasma. You'll spend more repairing it that its worth. If you don't wanna spend money, like I asid, the CRT TVs are worth sod all so you'll be able to pick one up second hand for not a lot of $

alker ranger
17th February, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'd tak t to the tip if i were you mate. They're worth nowt these days cos everyone wants an LCD or plasma. You'll spend more repairing it that its worth. If you don't wanna spend money, like I asid, the CRT TVs are worth sod all so you'll be able to pick one up second hand for not a lot of $

Took ur advice m8 its gone to the tip, shame really it was a belting picture before the fault, anyway just bought 42 inch toshiba regza ?570 looks a good tv.:dontknow: