PDA

View Full Version : Eurovox PVR / Konig booster - suggestions?

Oggy
23rd July, 2008, 05:16 PM
Righto long story.

Ill start with the setup. Also, feel free to comment on my paint skills, they are supreme ;)

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l432/OggyBST/Cablesetup.jpg

The problem:

Downstairs works fine, illustrated by the wonderful green ticks ;)

Upstairs BB is fine as far as I know but screws up if I split before the Konig 'Yellow Brick'

My PVR struggles with the infamous Sports Channels, I know they are well known for being the worst, although they did work about 3 weeks ago on my old DM500c (that I gave to a family member and purchased a new one that shows the same symptoms, upgraded to a PVR anyway)

So anyways, I tried using a Konig splitter instead of a Y plug but it was worse, I have just got it so E4 / E4+1 doesnt pixelate, but Sports still struggle

I get approx 81% signal and quality on Sports, 84% on watchable E4/E4+1 ( I just used this channel as an example as she watches Big Brother ;))

I have no idea about slope / gain.

What do you suggest I do?

Any help greatly appreciated, Id like this resolved for the footie season ;)

TIA

Devilfish
23rd July, 2008, 06:34 PM
Boosters are trial and error as you probably guessed.

When you add long cable and splitters etc you are adding noise into the feed. The SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) is a measure of how much signal the tuner can see over all the noise. On the dreambox it needs to be about 96%. You'll need to play about with the slope and gain to get the best medium.

If you add the booster after the splitter and at the end of all the cable, you'll be boosting the noise as well as the signal which is not good and you probably won't see any difference. Add the booster as close to the main feed as possible, this is where there will be less noise and it will boost as much as the signal without the noise.

Maybe try your Eurovox downstairs where you know the signal is ok. Then you can check the SNR with the dreambox upstairs.

Hope this helps. Sometimes the signal is just too degraded because of all the splits.

Oggy
23rd July, 2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply DevilFish

Its as early as it can be really, well as far as I know lol.

I think the problem lies at length of cable + total splits.

Eurovox works 100% Downstairs, I used it to scan for channels :)

The external box is on the front of the house but enters upstairs at the rear, split --->Booster then back to the front of the house for the bedroom.

If i dont have the booster, I get no signal so it is working and not just amplifying the same noise, fine tuning it with Slope might just crack it, but its a time thing, and the fact its in different rooms!

How do I go about adjusting slope/gain for the most thorough results?

Both min: Increase Gain slowly, see results

If nothing, increase slope slightly, increse Gain again

Repeat as necessary?

Or is there a simpler / more productive/effective method?

Thanks again.

RAUNKI
28th May, 2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks to Devilfish:cheer: