PDA

View Full Version : BMW Z3 E36 sw 11

zoom69
19th November, 2016, 06:40 PM
I somehow corrupted the 9356 internal dataset on an old 2002 BMW Z3. Mileage still shows but only faintly, about 25% as bright as it should be, and several different machines are telling me it's a bad data set in the internal 9356. The outer "code plug'' 9346 seems to read and gives correct mileage. Internal 9356 is def corrupted. Would a matching pair of good datasets cure this for me, and if so, does any of you kind people happen to have a good dataset for a circa 2002 vintage Z3 or E36 compact, in Miles, from a HW 0.6 SW 11 cluster?
Thanks in advance :giveup:

clusters
19th November, 2016, 06:48 PM
Dim odometer is not usually a dataset problem. I believe those have two bulbs behind the display and probably one of them is burnt out.

I would not play around with the dumps on those chips, the internal 93c56 is encrypted and I have never seen a solution for them.

zoom69
19th November, 2016, 09:39 PM
Dim odometer is not usually a dataset problem. I believe those have two bulbs behind the display and probably one of them is burnt out.

I would not play around with the dumps on those chips, the internal 93c56 is encrypted and I have never seen a solution for them.

Have you encountered this problem with this type of cluster before? I did try to do it diag and via 912 cable, with two original machines from the same era, Dashfixer and Digiprog, believe me it wouldn't go, I had no intention of ''playing around'' with the datasets.

The outside ''code plug'' 9346 chip read OK. The internal one, 9356, somehow got corrupted probably whilst handing it, or maybe a bad connection on one pin, who knows.
Funny enough, whilst trying different datasets in it, the back lighting was spot on, displaying the word CODE.

I was hoping that a matching pair of datasets from another cluster with the same sw version might work. Before I give up and start searching for a replacement cluster, I'm still very willing to give it a try if anyone happens to have datasets from a version 11

But anyway, thanks for your reply.

clusters
19th November, 2016, 09:45 PM
Try searching the site, there have been a few posted here. Because you can't do a local search with three characters, try this. Google: "BMW Z3 E36 sw 11 site:http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk" without the quotation marks.

zoom69
19th November, 2016, 09:49 PM
Thanks for that, I'll certainly give it a try. What else would I be doing on a wintery Saturday evening!

zoom69
19th November, 2016, 10:03 PM
Hi Clusters, just found someone with the same problem, zak same HW and SW numbers. It's possible I still have the original dataset saved and it could be OK after all, only I can't re-write it properly due to write protect on the 93S56, which is what the eeprom is. I think I might be on the right track now!

HCIP...If it's who I'm thinking of, I haven't heard of her for years, she used to be on a few forums I frequented. A very clever lady, from the Phillipines I think.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated. http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/diezelpower/tiphat.gif