PDA

View Full Version : what graphics card

fearlessimon
17th September, 2009, 06:50 PM
i have the nvidia geforce 7300, alot of the new games are choppy so unplayable time for an upgrade, what card would you recommend inc price also are they easy to fit or would i need to take pc to shop, do i need to change anything else to support the new graphics card....cheers

Raven
17th September, 2009, 07:32 PM
There's no simple answer to this one mate, because everyone's PC innards are different lol so that has to be taken into account bearing in mind what I have may be different to you and vice versa - but to be honest I'd say the best card for the cheapest price right now might be the 512mb Geforce 8800GTX - I got mine about a year ago for about 150 quid so they've surely come right down in price by now - either that or I got an absolute steal lol...but I would not bother with them GT's they are nothing but trouble on alot of PC's and they aren't as powerful as the GTX variant anyhow.

But if you do go for a modern card as you will be you will also probably need to upgrade the Power Supply Unit and probably to one with two port connectors for the graphics card - but the the PSU is one of the most overlooked elements with regards to upgrading a PC especially when it comes to graphics cards....but if there's not enough power to go around it's not going to work, and it's not so much the wattage you want to be paying attention to it's the amperage....but nontheless the Geforce 8800GTX is possibly the best mix of price and performance - that's what I have and I can play just about anything on max settings at a "playable" rate - which is another thing which differs from one person to the next - what they define as "playable" speeds. And like I said I paid ?150 ish for mine a year ago.

Unfortunately this is one of them situations where I can't rightly give you a 1 size fits all answer and make it easy for you, you are going to need to do some research on your own regardless because as I said before, your PC is different to mine as is your current PSU....as well your prospective gaming needs could well be different to mine - for example if you are wanting to play Crysis at 2500X1900 crazy resolution for example then I would point you in the direction of Crossfire or whatever it is where you have 2 cards linked together - or better yet the single best card on the market right now because in that situation nothing else would cut it to be honest....so you need to do some research yourself mate - I can only give cautious nudges which are to be taken with a big pinch of salt at best, because your situation and PC is different to what mine was.

But you wanted a recommendation, there it is - 512MB Geforce 8800 GTX - but DON'T blindly take my word for it - RESEARCH before you buy anything!

[BIO]Pigeon
1st October, 2009, 12:56 PM
iv currently got 2 gtx260's over sli and running them both on a corsair hx850w which is powerfull enoough to run both and the rest of my components, be carefull u dont mess up on the powerpacks lol hence me being offline for a day :P

Maverick120
1st November, 2009, 08:18 PM
Try a nvidia gts 250 (no real difference in brand) fairly cheap and does the job well. If you can afford more the gtx260 is better but needs more powerful power supply.

masterpn
9th February, 2010, 07:55 PM
Whats your computers specifications ? what size monitor you using? what games you playing?

joner77
12th March, 2010, 10:14 AM
What's your ram? If you are getting low framerates it could mean you need to upgrade your ram.

sattboy
15th March, 2010, 02:26 AM
i have the nvidia geforce 7300, alot of the new games are choppy so unplayable time for an upgrade, what card would you recommend inc price also are they easy to fit or would i need to take pc to shop, do i need to change anything else to support the new graphics card....cheers

get yourself an 8800 gts 512 mb g92 core off ebay for around 70 quid and start from there, modern day graphics cards demand minimum psu of at the least 600 watt .and i mean 600 watt then try a game if it runs near smooth then your in the wright direction. but there is sooo many different pc combo's out there realy its a case of suck it and see.lots of ppl can tell you there pc consists of blah blah blah but at the end of the day it comes down to money.some ppl spend loads on a gaming pc and still can't get it wright. go to OC OVERCLOCKERS on the net they test budget components to high end stuff its a great starting point before you spend money chasing the dream machine

johnfox1
11th July, 2010, 06:19 AM
empty your hdd(transfer to external hdd) and turn your antivirus off

mikissimke
18th July, 2010, 10:17 PM
totally agree with johnfox1