PDA

View Full Version : notepad

mini
24th July, 2008, 09:11 PM
Is there a way to delete notepad without harming other files.

Femalelizzard
24th July, 2008, 10:51 PM
Its part of windows why would you want to delete it anyway ?

seems a pointless act it doesnt even take up memory if you were on about norton are nero id understand.

just curious why do you want to delete it its very handy

caveman_nige
24th July, 2008, 11:27 PM
Windows automatically restores notepad if you copy over it or delete it. This is a sensible security feature.

One possibility is

- Change Explorer view options to show system files
- Open folder C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
- delete notepad.exe
- Open folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
- delete your notepad.exe
- Open folder C:\WINDOWS\system32
- Open folder C:\WINDOWS

Now you'll need to stop the file being copies again by excluding it from the restore\filelist.xml.
----------------------------
attrib -s -h -r %windir%\system32\restore\filelist.xml
' edit the file
notepad.exe %windir%\system32\restore\filelist.xml

' now add the following lines to the excludes node of filelist.xml
<REC>%windir%\system32\notepad.exe</REC>
<REC>%windir%\notepad.exe</REC>
' change the attributes back to hidden and read only.
attrib +r +h %windir%\system32\restore\filelist.xml

That should work if you absolutely MUST delete it.

The fact that windows doesn't offer the ability to remove notepad easily, if its designed to be removed it would be in the add/remove programs section.

Rather than messing with windows files and changing things I would suggest that you simply leave it there.

mini
25th July, 2008, 10:55 PM
I need to delete of the office pc's as staff are using notepad to go onto internet....
Or should I try to restrict the file so guest users cannot use it.......

riptoff
30th July, 2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry to jump in on the thread but how can u use notepad to access the internet ?

aftermath
30th July, 2008, 11:28 AM
I need to delete of the office pc's as staff are using notepad to go onto internet....
Or should I try to restrict the file so guest users cannot use it.......

What operating system you using, ive got Vista and no way can i get on the internet with my notepad.

I did find this (http://www.notepad.org/) on the internet, maybe you got that installed ?

mini
31st July, 2008, 11:24 PM
you go on to help on notepad then index slide down to unicode websites click and hai presto internet acess

caveman_nige
8th August, 2008, 02:02 PM
you go on to help on notepad then index slide down to unicode websites click and hai presto internet acess

Not sure how this works as i cannot see how reading that section on the Notepad help index gives you the ability to gain net access via Notepad... Have you managed to do this yourself or actually seen a user do this...?

Ok, ok, I see what you mean now, yeah I can do this also. You can also do it with Calculator. One of my colleagues was aware of this and said they tried locking it down years ago. Some of the other issues include your users ability to access all the files on the hard disk also. If youu have a net access problem due to this prog, there is no point trying to delete Notepad as there are other inbuild apps with Windows that have the same hole.. You will render the OS useless if you take too much out so save time and money and install a proxy server..

@aftermath, this hole is not in Vista...

mini
10th August, 2008, 01:25 AM
I got it sorted, I just moved the files around so they cant access them.