PDA

View Full Version : water damage ecu edc17cp14 v,a,g

pulsar2000
20th December, 2016, 09:43 PM
Hi we have a bosch edc17cp14 in with us, car fails to start, NO Codes, mechanics say no injector pulse, car has had dpf off and doesnt appear to have been re sealed, and looking at end where loom connects we can see white areas on main loom solder areas, we think moisture ingress, now is it worth re flux and solder ?
or better to replace ecu, if so, i realise not so easy to clone, we done one a few years ago, and altho car started we had a message on dash like safe or some key symbol i cant recall, in the end we had file adjusted and all was good, i read allot on here seem to suffer allot with water damage, i suppose area where is on car and tuner not sealing correctly,
i would like to get this fixed or repaced asap, thanks

spychu14
20th December, 2016, 10:30 PM
More data... what car it is ? Passat, Golf ? Year, do you have communication with ecu ? can you read it ?

pulsar2000
20th December, 2016, 10:40 PM
More data... what car it is ? Passat, Golf ? Year, do you have communication with ecu ? can you read it ?

Passat 2tdi CR 2010 obd comms ok, but no DTC
yes i have a good read inc eeprom area all ok using Boot mode,

spychu14
20th December, 2016, 10:41 PM
So there is no problem to transfer immo from this ecu to used one.

icezero2010
20th December, 2016, 10:48 PM
Use Alcohol and clean both sides from Ecu . If this Not work Buy a new or clone the Ecu

pulsar2000
20th December, 2016, 10:53 PM
So there is no problem to transfer immo from this ecu to used one.

Confirm no problem, i have good reads x 2 full backup,,, I know transfer is not easiest as remember before we do this on a golf and we had "SAFE" or something on dash , NO DTC then someone make a good file and warning gone, whats procedure for Clone ?

pulsar2000
20th December, 2016, 10:54 PM
Use Alcohol and clean both sides from Ecu . If this Not work Buy a new or clone the Ecu

Thanks so move whole PCB out of case ? both sides and Re work main ECU loom area ? you have had success ? this before

spychu14
20th December, 2016, 10:55 PM
Someone here could help or use online service like info.autkey.by or something like that.

pulsar2000
20th December, 2016, 11:10 PM
Someone here could help or use online service like info.autkey.by or something like that.

sorry what you mean ?

smirnoff_rules
20th December, 2016, 11:18 PM
when u have fixed, make sure you clean out water drains so it dosnt happen again m8

pulsar2000
20th December, 2016, 11:32 PM
when u have fixed, make sure you clean out water drains so it dosnt happen again m8

Good point, will check, i think just location in scuttle and lack of re sealing has allowed moisture in, as in undone the torxs and lid fell off LOL --- Not what we are used to, was expecting the usual and assumed the position with heatgun for the LID war wrestle, LMAO

spychu14
21st December, 2016, 12:18 AM
You need readout from new and old ecu - send dumps and we will see.

icezero2010
21st December, 2016, 07:24 AM
Thanks so move whole PCB out of case ? both sides and Re work main ECU loom area ? you have had success ? this before
No Problem to get the pcb out of case. Use 2 screwdrivers one back one one side Same as BMW edc17 . Check youtube there are many videos

pulsar2000
21st December, 2016, 09:07 AM
well i dont have a issue taking out board done before, i dont suppose have any to lose, as fault as is, i take a look today both sides see if can see any component fail or bad solder, i suppose main connector solder area 1st place to look

icezero2010
21st December, 2016, 09:17 AM
well i dont have a issue taking out board done before, i dont suppose have any to lose, as fault as is, i take a look today both sides see if can see any component fail or bad solder, i suppose main connector solder area 1st place to look

i had the same problem for 3 years :-) with clean the pcb the car work . but i see on other ecus that the can ecu burn :-)
i use vinegar and salt for 5 h after this i clean the ecu with 99% alcohol the car work today
i hope you have luck

pulsar2000
21st December, 2016, 10:33 AM
ok thanks well i look today, hope no component burned, if not i get in and clean and rework solder, wiill update, anyone know what part contol injedtors on pcb ?
thanks

icezero2010
21st December, 2016, 10:51 AM
ok thanks well i look today, hope no component burned, if not i get in and clean and rework solder, wiill update, anyone know what part contol injedtors on pcb ?
thanks
On the Other side under the Thermal compound

pulsar2000
21st December, 2016, 08:14 PM
On the Other side under the Thermal compound

so on the side we dont normally see, and Thermal compound ? is easy to see this ? i plan to remove board tomorrow for better look, any idea where i look exactly ?
cheers

pulsar2000
21st December, 2016, 08:14 PM
i had the same problem for 3 years :-) with clean the pcb the car work . but i see on other ecus that the can ecu burn :-)
i use vinegar and salt for 5 h after this i clean the ecu with 99% alcohol the car work today
i hope you have luck

after you clean do you re solder ? or just clean

icezero2010
21st December, 2016, 08:24 PM
after you clean do you re solder ? or just clean
only clean after 1 week i open and check the pcb again

pulsar2000
21st December, 2016, 10:21 PM
so just clean alcohol and did you use heat after to dry any areas ?

thanks

pulsar2000
22nd December, 2016, 01:23 PM
well opened both sides i see blue cap looks like got wet, on the underside.
also connectors from loom have signs of green from corrosion,

icezero2010
22nd December, 2016, 04:28 PM
well opened both sides i see blue cap looks like got wet, on the underside.
also connectors from loom have signs of green from corrosion,

clean all and check with vcds on the 2. pic in the right corner the 4 transistor are for the injectors

pulsar2000
22nd December, 2016, 04:33 PM
got it, ok cheers will take a close look these

pulsar2000
22nd December, 2016, 11:40 PM
4x transistors dont appear to have water damage, mainly green / moisture indiacation on last BLUE cap, and on legs from main Ecu connection on front of PCB and small area on front of PCB as you can see, how to test transistors, Please using VCDS ?
i have a obd Cable i can use on Bench with Obd Diags such as VCDS, as i write i think good point lets interogate with VCDS
pinout of OBD for Diags ?
and what area to test these suspect inj area ?
Cheers

smirnoff_rules
23rd December, 2016, 12:41 AM
looks like its more than damp , looks like it was under water for abit , did you check drains m8 . if there blocked and this was in the drink might be knacked

pulsar2000
23rd December, 2016, 02:28 AM
looks like its more than damp , looks like it was under water for abit , did you check drains m8 . if there blocked and this was in the drink might be knacked
LOL Yea it deffo not so good,
i have only ECU so no way of seeing, looks like someone forgot to seal, owner says DPF removed by a garage over a year ago,
i can read ok, and have comms, for flash etc,
would have been scanned with garage snapon showing no dtc,
but prob not something better like VCDS
im at the point do i send off for repair bba reman 300 squid plus vat, or do i clone and buy a doner ecu.
decisons descisons,
smirnoff u have a repair firm u can recommend, think 300s a tad steep,
cheers

smirnoff_rules
23rd December, 2016, 11:37 AM
if you can find and cheap replacement send your full scan from both to kire106ka and he can send back full backup ie cloned 100%, bba might not be able to repair , lots of time wasted then

pulsar2000
23rd December, 2016, 11:49 AM
if you can find and cheap replacement send your full scan from both to kire106ka and he can send back full backup ie cloned 100%, bba might not be able to repair , lots of time wasted then

I ordered 1 off ebay, and this guy no probs with cloning ? , as i remember ages ago did a golf replacement someone cloned ok but had the stupid "safe" light on dash, till i got proper fix
cheers

smirnoff_rules
23rd December, 2016, 11:55 AM
I ordered 1 off ebay, and this guy no probs with cloning ? , as i remember ages ago did a golf replacement someone cloned ok but had the stupid "safe" light on dash, till i got proper fix
cheers

as far as l know thats sorted m8

pulsar2000
27th December, 2016, 01:06 PM
Just for the hell of it, trying to hook up to my vag com, using mpps obd connector using same wiring as you would to read etc except boot wire, cant get comms,
i can read write etc with mpps etc using boot and this set up,
surely dont need boot for diagnostics do i ?
cheers

icezero2010
27th December, 2016, 01:55 PM
Just for the hell of it, trying to hook up to my vag com, using mpps obd connector using same wiring as you would to read etc except boot wire, cant get comms,
i can read write etc with mpps etc using boot and this set up,
surely dont need boot for diagnostics do i ?
cheers

no boot need for diagnostic .

pulsar2000
27th December, 2016, 02:12 PM
no boot need for diagnostic .

ok thanks. but i should be able to use vag com for diagnostics using pinout yes ?

i Try and cant communicate, yet in car communicates ok for DTC