PDA

View Full Version : metal detector

arky4
14th January, 2017, 05:06 PM
any one out there got experience with metal detectors as a hobby . whats the best specifications , and a good make for the task cheers.

Meat-Head
14th January, 2017, 11:14 PM
Oh it's you again.

nope, but before i was created daddy (before he died) used to go metal detecting, he discovered cheap ones were insensitive, so he got a REAL metal dustbin lid and used it as the antenna, worked great.

not sure if there are not 2 types "inductive" and "passive" one energises, needs researching more

arky4
15th January, 2017, 01:07 PM
so ,go for most expensive ones

DOUGALMCD
15th January, 2017, 01:28 PM
Garret do a good selection depending what you want to look for prices can rise steeply.

arky4
16th January, 2017, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=DOUGALMCD;2932470]Garret do a good selection depending what you want to look for prices can rise steeply.[/QUOTE i know the price can vary quite a bit. but what i am after is some hands on experience.

ifred
17th January, 2017, 09:53 AM
Join the Army and get some paid for hand on experience with the Bomb squad :goodnight::roflmao:

arky4
17th January, 2017, 12:26 PM
Join the Army and get some paid for hand on experience with the Bomb squad :goodnight::roflmao: good idea but too old

DOUGALMCD
17th January, 2017, 12:49 PM
Some are better than others at searching for different types of metals etc so it depends on what you want to search for specifically.

Meat-Head
17th January, 2017, 02:16 PM
good idea but too old

No they still have that deptment

arky4
17th January, 2017, 04:39 PM
Some are better than others at searching for different types of metals etc so it depends on what you want to search for specifically. just something to do when weather gets better to give me another interest

DOUGALMCD
19th January, 2017, 02:52 PM
I got a pal stays down in the borders he says try the bay usually get deals on second hand garrett 250 with extras. He does a lot of reading up on historical sites although he hasn't found anything of note yet. He says check for local sites of interest around you rather than travelling to far. After all look at guy found all gold coins in farmers field.

arky4
19th January, 2017, 05:41 PM
thanks for that good information, i will try e bay as new detectors are a bit pricey , i will read up on places of interest. cheers

maximila
24th January, 2017, 03:17 PM
good idea but too old

Hahhahahaha. I am on the floor with roar. This forum is absolutely worth it!

cleanrite
28th January, 2017, 12:57 AM
Try and get a minelab or a Fisher both good machines with plenty of finds with them both Plenty of dosh on the beaches the odd gold ring,bracelet and watch and when on farmland you will find loads of crap but some good stuff if your lucky silver hammered coins from 1500s
Enjoy mate

ifred
28th January, 2017, 10:20 AM
Also you can buy kits to build your own detector check a few detectors sites. I crossed an Australian one where they show you how to build your own top range model.
Apparently its popular on the Gold Coast, which is a difficult area to prospect due to the geology, so need a very good detector which normally is wads of bucks
Check it out? Could be extra fun and interest.

cleanrite
28th January, 2017, 01:13 PM
Also you can buy kits to build your own detector check a few detectors sites. I crossed an Australian one where they show you how to build your own top range model.
Apparently its popular on the Gold Coast, which is a difficult area to prospect due to the geology, so need a very good detector which normally is wads of bucks
Check it out? Could be extra fun and interest.

Hi Mate any links for the info ta..

Leehebs
9th February, 2017, 06:37 PM
I have a cscope had it and used it for the last 20 years, when i lived in the North East I used to pick up all sorts of coins from the local beaches, from early Victorian to quite a bit of modern cash. A few hours wandering the beach is great for just relaxing and getting exercise without really noticing it. As well as the detector you will need a set of head phones, makes it easier to pick up faint signals, light spade or trowel.

if you live near a busy beach you can pickup quite a bit of cash with just 100 quid machine, 20 quid a day a year or so if you have been bitten by the bug you will have enough collected to buy a good machine.

ifred
9th February, 2017, 11:42 PM
Hi Mate any links for the info ta..
Here the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTEED-2Z_lM

GastonJ
10th February, 2017, 01:07 PM
I'll ask my son and his mate what they use, though I know they aren't cheap detectors that they have. They have found a fair bit fof stuff, Roman/Celic coins, gold coins from the 14/15th century, silver spoons and coins, various gold rings etc, you name it they find it. They do have detectors that you can set to only search for various metals, usually gold and silver - which is where their interest lies lol

Meat-Head
10th February, 2017, 08:23 PM
you name it they find it.

Bunch of coconuts
bunch of bannannas
signex photo of tracy barlow

ifred
11th February, 2017, 07:10 PM
Not find photo of Tracy those are only polaroids!
Probably find bottom cream though?

marcin95pl
4th March, 2020, 12:57 PM
I bought a garret 250, I am an amateur, I am looking for adventures in my free time, this metal detector is enough for me, it is simple to use