PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Audi A3 1.6 BGU Simos ECU - Dashboard swap

poxxxy
26th January, 2017, 10:42 PM
Hi guys,

My sisters Audi A3 instrument cluster is playing up... I received a second hand replacement after finally having one appear on ebay. I need to code the new instrument cluster in...

I was hoping to use VAG commander to read pin from instrument cluster (old and new) and then sync with VCDS... will this be possible? If not, what do I need? Carprog/Xprog-m etc?

Thanks for the help!

fogducker
29th January, 2017, 09:36 PM
I've just done this on the same car. It's fairly difficult depending on which type of cluster you have bought. Mine is 2005 so I bought a cluster from a 2005 car hoping it would keep things simple. No

you need to read the security pin from the existing cluster and also the security pin from the new cluster to start with. In my case I have to read the VIN, CS, MAC, PIN, Key IDs and IMMO serial number. These all need to be programmed to the new cluster. I used Carprog to do it and everything has worked so far apart from writing the IMMO serial number. I'm working on a solution for that at the moment.

I could not get VAG commander to work on my car at all.

poxxxy
1st February, 2017, 06:32 PM
Hmmm... well I managed to get the same part number dashboard shipped over from Austria. I read pin/soft coding from original with vag commander 1.4 and read pin from new instrument cluster but no use in VCDS by the looks of things to transfer the cluster/relearn etc. No other functions in vag commander look like they'd work or help.

I guess I need to order carprog... I could not read VIN/CS/MAC/Key IDS or immo serial number as you suggest via vag commander.

amigokola
1st February, 2017, 10:17 PM
If it is Fujitsu dash Carprog is useless. Call for someone with AVDI, SMOK 5 min work.

fogducker
1st February, 2017, 10:28 PM
I programmed mine totally fine with carprog, it's Fujitsu.

diagtech
2nd February, 2017, 01:36 AM
If it is same part no swopping eeprom should work

poxxxy
6th February, 2017, 01:05 PM
Dash is VDO... not sure if it has micronas too? Hoping carprog will do the job :(. Should arrive today.

fogducker
6th February, 2017, 03:54 PM
Should be Fujitsu MCU and not Micronas. Give me a shout if I can help in any way with Carprog. Did you get the A6 clip too?

poxxxy
8th February, 2017, 10:58 PM
I did get the A6 clip, I connected through OBD (think it was the a1 adapter?) on the 2004 can protocol and read immo, and wrote to replacement dash... did I need to read eeprom too? Instrument cluster no longer reports SAFE and car starts/drives but I'm having problems with ABS module reporting incorrect coding, implausible signal. Everything pretty much looks the same other than some serial numbers within a VCDS autoscan before and after. There seems to be some activity going on with each rotation of the wheel from the rear too... not sure whats going on back there! Wondering whether to put faulty original dash back in and see what happens under abs module coding.

fogducker
9th February, 2017, 10:33 PM
I have issues with the ABS module showing up incorrect coding fault too. I believe it's down to my car having the MK60 pump and the newer cluster I installed isn't quite compatible. I think I need the MK60EC1 pump for the cluster to work properly. Is the cluster you installed slightly different?

Faraday
9th February, 2017, 11:45 PM
I programmed mine totally fine with carprog, it's Fujitsu.

yeah in your dreams carprog does not support fujitsu dash

poxxxy
10th February, 2017, 01:22 AM
Cluster is the same part number... looks like carprog can not do the full job. it can do half a job. looks like I need avdi/smok or similar hmmmm...

fogducker
10th February, 2017, 01:27 AM

talk to Carprog yourself like I have and find out the truth

fogducker
10th February, 2017, 01:29 AM
Cluster is the same part number... looks like carprog can not do the full job. it can do half a job. looks like I need avdi/smok or similar hmmmm...

I'll be working on mine soon and will update with my findings. There's definitely some problem between the the abs module and the cluster. I just need to figure out what it is.

can anyone explain exactly what Carprog cannot do in comparison to smok/avid? Especially relating to the ABS module coding.

fogducker
10th February, 2017, 01:30 AM

Are you actually saying that I did not program my dash in my own car with my own computer with my own hands?

Faraday
10th February, 2017, 06:11 AM
I'm not saying that you did not program dash but you still have some issues this mean that it doesn't work correctly.

poxxxy
10th February, 2017, 12:23 PM
Yes for us both to have this problem, carprog does not do the job correctly which is a shame... and very strange :).

amigokola
10th February, 2017, 04:51 PM
Carprog only read's Fujitsu. If you ask support (which is great btw) they will tell you.