PDA

View Full Version : Water damaged MEV17

Fallen
5th February, 2017, 12:37 PM
Hi guys,

Does anybody have a full BDM read for this ECU?
It's out of a 120i E87 with a manual transmission.

The existing ECU is severely water damaged and will not power up on the bench or in the car.

Label attached.

Thanks

mislav88
5th February, 2017, 12:55 PM
try to power up tricore with external 3.3v and then read it in boot

Fallen
5th February, 2017, 12:59 PM
I have never tried to do that before, I did not even know it was possible.
Can you send me the power up points please?

schumy1502
5th February, 2017, 01:30 PM
Galleto 2 have pinout for this ecu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mislav88
5th February, 2017, 07:52 PM
look for 100nf block capacitors near tricore, you can easily see which side is positive and which is gnd. post photo of tricore and surrounding components if you cant fint it

Fallen
5th February, 2017, 10:55 PM
Thanks mate, if you could mark this photo it would be great.

426401 426402

mislav88
5th February, 2017, 11:26 PM
First of all, check with your scope, or at least voltages with multimeter if you dont have it:

Power up ecu with standard connection
Marked red is main 3.3V rail feeding tricore
Marked green should be 100nf block capacitors i was talking about

And your big problem is marked yellow, crystal oscillator doesnt look good, like it is missing its top, it should be 16 or 20mhz for tc1796, try to find used ecu and check it, or at least picture of it. If you have an oscilloscope you can easily check if it is alive.
Without working oscillator forget about reading this mcu in any way, even in boot. Maybe this is the only reason car is dead.

Fallen
6th February, 2017, 10:00 AM
First of all, check with your scope, or at least voltages with multimeter if you dont have it:

Power up ecu with standard connection
Marked red is main 3.3V rail feeding tricore
Marked green should be 100nf block capacitors i was talking about

And your big problem is marked yellow, crystal oscillator doesnt look good, like it is missing its top, it should be 16 or 20mhz for tc1796, try to find used ecu and check it, or at least picture of it. If you have an oscilloscope you can easily check if it is alive.
Without working oscillator forget about reading this mcu in any way, even in boot. Maybe this is the only reason car is dead.

Thanks for all your help mislav88.
I changed the crystal from another ECU but still would not power up.
I powered it up by the points you showed and I did get 3.3v across the capacitor marked in green and it was drawing about 120ma so it looked good.
I was still unable to get a reading off this ECU in boot mode, I believe the BDM pads and the connections through the PCB have been damaged.
Pretty sure there is not much we can do for this poor ECU at this point!

Thanks again for your help with this Mislav88, your a legend.

GTB2260VK
6th February, 2017, 03:38 PM
try to flush the ecu board with DI water or isopropanole and dry it in the oven at around 70?C for several hours. You need to get rid of all those watermarks and residues.

If you are lucky it may power up if there isn?t anything shortend in a way that yet killed some IC. Did you check current consumption when powering it up? Try to limit the current for testing.

mislav88
6th February, 2017, 03:48 PM
yep, probably water got its way under mcu and done the rest...

you can try reballing mcu but i think it is not worth the hassle, just buy used ecu and sync with cas

GTB2260VK
6th February, 2017, 07:34 PM
its still worth to try with isopropanole and in the best case with ultrasonic cleaning - pay attention as the alcohol will heat up by the ultrasonic waves!
My method does not cost much, so why not giving it a try.

Fallen
7th February, 2017, 01:04 AM
try to flush the ecu board with DI water or isopropanole and dry it in the oven at around 70?C for several hours. You need to get rid of all those watermarks and residues.

If you are lucky it may power up if there isn?t anything shortend in a way that yet killed some IC. Did you check current consumption when powering it up? Try to limit the current for testing.

It draws zero amps when trying to power it up the normal way, dead as a door nail i'm afraid.
I would love to get a donor ECU but there is none available IN THE WORLD!
Checked so many places, thats why I was after a full BDM read from one if it was available.

Siham
7th February, 2017, 03:13 AM
Hi Dude ,

Try here http://www.proplus-technologie.fr/calculateur-moteur/calculateurmoteur-bmw-1seriese81e82e87e88-120i20ll416v130kw174hpmev1746-4757

Best regards

bearheroes
9th February, 2017, 09:00 AM
Even if you read it you can't write it to other ecu. The reason is otp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mislav88
11th February, 2017, 12:36 AM
bmw stores only theft recovery relevant data in otp (not like vag which also has immo data decryption key in otp) so it will usually start, this at least works in bmw EDC, not sure about MEV

bmw has otp activated in only one sector, while vag and some others have 2

mislav88
11th February, 2017, 01:26 AM
and a little update if wish to put some more effort to read this ecu

bosch ic marked red is power regulator, but it also has one important function, it has built in can transciever.
can lines from ecu connector go directly to that little bastard which i can see has suffered major water damage, which besides acting as can transciever also wakes up ecu on can wakeup signal and powers it up (thats why we no more have ecu relays from msa/edc15 era).

what you can try is to remove it and wire in another bare can transciever, for example TLE8250 found in many car modules which are on can. just connect +3.3v, gnd, tx, rx lines to it, plus can h/l wires from your tool