PDA

View Full Version : The truth about original AVDI and Kap Diagnostics

obdmaster
15th February, 2017, 10:10 PM
I myself have had an original nearly fully loaded AVDI, after 8 years of continuous use in all weathers. Has the internal battery gone flat "NO". At one time I was an avid user of this forum as the members were knowledgeable and always keen to help.
But it got took over by AVDI haters who insisted the internal battery would go flat. Well I can tell you after 8 years of non stop use and firmware updates after firmware updates my original AVDI is still going strong and still leads all other machines in this industry. I've updated BMW cas 3 modules to later firmware on my own car, and many other other, I've read about 700 pin codes from psa can bsi,s without any issue. The art is a stable battery voltage as with all re-flashing. All I can say the doubters eat there words, after 8 years I think the internal battery proves itself. I've started this thread to help ORIGINAL AVDI users, use there interface safely and correctly. Please post any questions and I will answer honestly and as promptly as I can, as you can imagine I'm very busy. I also have zed full and MVP pro with super dongle and I will give my honest opinion. But I can tell you now AVDI is best ��. You guys have nice night and please ask as many questions as you like. Obd

smokey08
15th February, 2017, 10:30 PM
Are you affiliated with abrites or just a seasoned AVDI user?

obdmaster
15th February, 2017, 10:35 PM
Nothing to do with AVDI just someone who tell truth if zed full or MVP pro with super dongle can do car better will tell you m8. Nothing to hide just got cured of idiots moaning about internal battery. I'm seriously here to help no marketing ploy ��. I'm no salesman just a technician with 8 years AVDI experience prob 4 years zedfull experience and 8 years MVP experience. Another example w204 steering lock mechanical fault used abrites emulator programmed in and removed steering lock . Car still working perfectly

rob h
15th February, 2017, 11:23 PM
My Avdi battery whent flat.
No free support and free updates as promised.
I did not really hate them, but i am growing some real disslike to this thread you started.

cqae
Thanks OBD, I am in a similar position to you. I have watched AVDI be hated & bashed on these forums & to be honest I am more than happy with my AVDI too. Ive had mine for about 5 years & it has been the go to tool for me as well. It hasnt been perfect, but has done most of what I've asked of it. I would not consider myself an expert & feel I am only using a fraction of its potential and love those more seasoned users that share their experience & help me learn. Overall I am happy with both the tool & my support & would be happy to share what I can also.........And my battery hasnt gone flat either

lush29
`whats this to do with kap? sorry i do not understand just using avdi in the last few months.....

norman1967
15th February, 2017, 11:24 PM
I am new to avdi. I've had mine since around September 2016.

Whats the story with this internal battery?

What is the potential problem? Mines less than 12 months old so I assume still under warranty

Cheers norman

P.'s I'm happy with the special functions I have bought. All I have asked it's done and if i had problem (which I have)it was resolved by abritus over TV

So far it's all good

Siham
15th February, 2017, 11:34 PM
I myself have had an original nearly fully loaded AVDI, after 8 years of continuous use in all weathers. Has the internal battery gone flat "NO". At one time I was an avid user of this forum as the members were knowledgeable and always keen to help.
But it got took over by AVDI haters who insisted the internal battery would go flat. Well I can tell you after 8 years of non stop use and firmware updates after firmware updates my original AVDI is still going strong and still leads all other machines in this industry. I've updated BMW cas 3 modules to later firmware on my own car, and many other other, I've read about 700 pin codes from psa can bsi,s without any issue. The art is a stable battery voltage as with all re-flashing. All I can say the doubters eat there words, after 8 years I think the internal battery proves itself. I've started this thread to help ORIGINAL AVDI users, use there interface safely and correctly. Please post any questions and I will answer honestly and as promptly as I can, as you can imagine I'm very busy. I also have zed full and MVP pro with super dongle and I will give my honest opinion. But I can tell you now AVDI is best ��. You guys have nice night and please ask as many questions as you like. Obd

What about avdi with range rover keys prog ? Does it work or still kill the KVM ?
For BMw cas downgrade it is working well now or still brick the cas ?
Thank you :)

totalkey
16th February, 2017, 12:11 AM
He is the owner of kap !

gttuning
16th February, 2017, 07:50 AM
Obd r you owner of KAP.?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mojomojo
16th February, 2017, 07:53 AM
If everyone bought clones there would be no more tool development and nothing for the chinese to clone

Not nor more...some tools are being made branded and developed. Some do what these mainstream companies dont offer...dont think that's a valid statement.

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 09:25 AM
Rob h, I've been a member on this forum since 2009 so I think I'm more than allowed to express my opinion, please tell me how do you know your battery went flat?

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 09:27 AM
Agree Chinese are making own tools some being very good, but a clone is a copy, not a new Chinese tool

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 09:28 AM
Obd r you owner of KAP.?

i have no money m8, so no

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 09:30 AM
Never ever bricked a CAS on downgrade or upgrade, and AVDI is the only tool not to brick the KVM due to software improvements constantly,

Always keep voltage good and cas should never be bricked

gttuning
16th February, 2017, 09:30 AM
He is the owner of kap !
He said he has no money and not owner of kap🤔🤔🤔🤔

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 09:32 AM
I am new to avdi. I've had mine since around September 2016.

Whats the story with this internal battery?

What is the potential problem? Mines less than 12 months old so I assume still under warranty

Cheers norman

P.'s I'm happy with the special functions I have bought. All I have asked it's done and if i had problem (which I have)it was resolved by abritus over TV

So far it's all good

8 years later, my interface working fine, make your own intelligent opinion��

norman1967
16th February, 2017, 09:37 AM
I've been told by a Good friend to avoid KAP at all costs. So I did and I have...

I'm in the UK.

What's everyone's else's thoughts?

I am told they charge to use there forum..

So in effect charge you to chat with other avdi members on the forum about there experience day 2 day working with the tool

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 09:44 AM
I've been told by a Good friend to avoid KAP at all costs. So I did and I have...

I'm in the UK.

So in effect charge you to chat with other avdi members on the forum about there experience day 2 day working with the tool
What they charge for is to use the on line BMW and subura software, plus getting updates after first 12 months, as do even abrites the makers of tool, Kap also have a secure plan which insures your investment at a reasonable cost, which other seller offers this??
But yes must have a plan to use forum, which I personally don't agree with m8.
Kap also have an android , apple app. Where you just punch in registeration and gives you videos on exactly how to do the job, also gives you a full vehicle check.

lush29
16th February, 2017, 10:05 AM

I'm in the UK.

I bought from them and I am still with them. I just pay ams subscription.
To be honest they are ok nothing to be scared of. But if you need support you need to pay so thats all.

rob h
16th February, 2017, 10:53 AM
I can respect that people protect there own property.
After the first clones came, Fvdi and svdi, they start punishing old customers.
No more free update, no free support, closing off the offical forum.
And only a money grabbing, full package 10.000€ deal came in that place.

Everyone lost that time, creaters and customers.

When my avdi stopped working, i considered AMS and repair cost.
Then i found out that it whas better to buy a VVDI2.
It came with a better Passat 95320 tool, and BCM2 keylearning.
Until today, i have got great update from VVDI2, like the new BCM2 dump tool, the PSA keylearning tool.
And many free updates and support.

So my AVDI is collecting dust, until i decide to have it repaired.
And i came close to do so last week.
The new Toyota 10.4 Avdi tool looked worth it.

repair cost
ams
supportplant
Toyota emulator
TN005
TN006
Total off about 1600€

For that money i could buy a Original Tango.
And buy the Toyota options that i needed.
And have free support and updates.

So my AVDI is still collecting dust, with a dead battery!

rapidlocksmiths
16th February, 2017, 11:15 AM

I'm in the UK.

So in effect charge you to chat with other avdi members on the forum about there experience day 2 day working with the tool based on personal experience and my own opinion from my own 1st hand experience on dealing with KAP Diagnostics for many years since 1st buying avdi is a positive one .
i have read the issues others have had with kap , but their experiences differ from my own , i dont have a call to use support very often at all , but on the few occasions ive used it , the responses have been prompt and to the point as advertised on my ams plan , all sales and transactions have been smooth and seamless , and when ever ive met them at shows they have always been helpful and sociable and knowledgable , so my own experience with them has been very good and their service has been excellent.

They dont charge for their forum , access to this is free with your ams plan , but you do need ams plan to get access , so its not a charged for forum as such , its just part of ams .

i cant speak for issues others claim to have had , i can only post on my own experience which is positive. im sure if you speak to enough people about any supplier their will be good and bad reviews , thats life , but i certainly cant fault the service ive had over the years.

with regards avdi , there can be no denying that if you have it then its generally your go to tool , its certainly a top end tool , although i disagree with some of abrites decisions and actions and how existing customers seem to be treated less favourably than new customers , i cant and have never slated the tool and what it does , their product is good . i think info and clarity could be improved and resolve many issues , but most of all i think benefits and fixed goal posts for existing users would also vastly improve views and relations , but the tool is what it is , excellent and on the whole a sound investment but not without issues .

its good to read positives as well as negatives , and someone offering help is a welcome and a valuable commodity , so good luck with the thread.

ecuremap1
16th February, 2017, 11:32 AM
I can respect that people protect there own property.
After the first clones came, Fvdi and svdi, they start punishing old customers.
No more free update, no free support, closing off the offical forum.
And only a money grabbing, full package 10.000? deal came in that place.

Everyone lost that time, creaters and customers.

When my avdi stopped working, i considered AMS and repair cost.
Then i found out that it whas better to buy a VVDI2.
It came with a better Passat 95320 tool, and BCM2 keylearning.
Until today, i have got great update from VVDI2, like the new BCM2 dump tool, the PSA keylearning tool.
And many free updates and support.

So my AVDI is collecting dust, until i decide to have it repaired.
And i came close to do so last week.
The new Toyota 10.4 Avdi tool looked worth it.

repair cost
ams
supportplant
Toyota emulator
TN005
TN006
Total off about 1600?

For that money i could buy a Original Tango.
And buy the Toyota options that i needed.
And have free support and updates.

So my AVDI is still collecting dust, with a dead battery!

You can repair yourself cost ?20 very easy... not a big hassle at all.

Gavra
16th February, 2017, 11:49 AM
Why this topic has been started yesterday after 25+pages of bad experience with new AVDI updates?

rapidlocksmiths
16th February, 2017, 11:57 AM
from what i can see this thread is simply someone offering help and advice on using avdi based on there own experience , which im sure would be welcomed by some , they have offered to help if questions are asked on use , maybe they thought a new thread for purely user help was needed as with all the anger and posts in other thread makes reading and finding user help hard for some .

give it a chance , it may just be genuine and helpful , what is to lose ? seems many may gain and add to it .

give it a go , ask user questions and get answers and leave the anger threads to the other thread , may just help some .

rapidlocksmiths
16th February, 2017, 12:03 PM
Never ever bricked a CAS on downgrade or upgrade, and AVDI is the only tool not to brick the KVM due to software improvements constantly,

Always keep voltage good and cas should never be bricked have you tested doing a late landrover vehicle where kvm has been updated at dealers ? is it now possible to program a spare key or a key if all keys lost even after the kvm has been updated ? and safely without issues ? im sure plenty would like a definitive answer on this as a concern for many .

Fallen
16th February, 2017, 12:38 PM
have you tested doing a late landrover vehicle where kvm has been updated at dealers ? is it now possible to program a spare key or a key if all keys lost even after the kvm has been updated ? and safely without issues ? im sure plenty would like a definitive answer on this as a concern for many .

I have nothing but positive things to say about AVDI and range rover.
I have tried it with updated KVM modules and it will give you a weird warning that is not very obvious.
It will flash something like "AKE - SBL activation failed" quite briefly in the scrolling log menu and will enter and exit the key programming mode in a split second.

It will not damage the car, it just wont work.

AVDI + Range Rover is safe in my opinion (you know I would tell you if it wasn't).

rapidlocksmiths
16th February, 2017, 12:41 PM
that makes sense , so not a fix to code an updated vehicle but a fail safe to ensure you do no damage , thus safe to use and avoid litigation .

obdmaster
16th February, 2017, 12:42 PM
have you tested doing a late landrover vehicle where kvm has been updated at dealers ? is it now possible to program a spare key or a key if all keys lost even after the kvm has been updated ? and safely without issues ? im sure plenty would like a definitive answer on this as a concern for many .

Everyone I've done has worked perfectly, don't know of kvm was updated I know a locksmith did a 2016 Range Rover sport without issue.

totalkey
16th February, 2017, 12:53 PM

sparkz02
16th February, 2017, 01:24 PM
I've been meaning to buy an AVDI over the year so many times when I sit down and read forums, even owner reviews I always walk about and buy a clone or something else.

I wanted BMW key programming, years ago a lot on there wasn't working and risky bla bla, got mulittool done the job, few walk always as expected but much cheaper.

Wanted VAG key programming, few years ago there was some problems cant remember exactly, and people said interface was very complicated (been told its improved alot)- when paying 4k / 5k not what I want to hear, so got myself VVDI and Tango and I do enough VAGs to keep me going.

The battery issue people gone on about is nonsense, who cares if there is a battery, because it MIGHT go WRONG. Thats the same as anything else in life?

Recently wanted something for the newer Ford's looked AVDI the price is CRAZY. so ended up with a Zedfull.

If seems the way to package the software is so expensive compared to years ago,

Maybe one day...

rapidlocksmiths
16th February, 2017, 01:44 PM
some of the pricing is indeed expensive and its true they are forever inventing new ways to squeeze a little more out of existing users , but on the whole it does pay back well in the end in my opinion . everybody has a different business model , some can get payback quick and some slow , some need this licence and some dont . unlike a token based machine it does at some point pay back and move to profit where as tokens or utp are an ongoing cost so never truly pays back.

i have never invested in zedfull out of principle over the way IEA dumped all over the zedbull customers , despite liking their software alot , had they not done this i would have a token free zedfull long ago , but principle is principle.

i read lots of good reviews of vvdi 2 and vvdi mb tool , had i not had abrites i may have been tempted , at one point it was cheaper to buy vvdi 2 with all vag and bmw coverage than to just buy ANO59 licence , i was tempted to buy vvdi then , but abrites have reduced the an059 licence to make it more affordable in recent licence shake up on vag so they have listened , maybe they will do same for other licences or do some existing user promotions that are as impressive as the new customer deals , we keep hoping.

deals for new customers always seem so much better than those for existing customers , ie to add just bmw key programming is far more expensive than vvdi2 which includes vag and bmw coverage , so i can see the lure , if abrites did a good one off deal on bmw licence 10 and 12 im sure many would support this , or mn026 again plenty would add this too . maybe some super deals and some incentive for long standing existing customers would sell more licences , but this has been suggested many times before .
like many here i have far more invested in my avdi than most new customers pay , and in some case despite having far more invested i have less coverage than some new users as new user deals are very good indeed , but despite this my avdi has paid back and is in profit , so i do have alot of paid for token free coverage on a unit that is in profit.

at the end of day we buy what will make us profit and what we can achieve payback on , buying the kit that suits our own needs and budgets best .

yugo45
16th February, 2017, 04:41 PM
One thing I do not understand why you have to pay forum?
Every other tool have free forum besides AVDI????
Every other tool cost less then AVDI????
I do not care who is running , KAP ,AVDI team or someone else ?
I agree to be hidden for people who do not own AVDi , but they can allow people who has AVDI interface and paying AMS to join it for free?

rapidlocksmiths
16th February, 2017, 06:21 PM
but it is free if you own avdi and have the correct ams plan already , as far as im aware all avdi owners with the correct ams can join , you dont have to pay just have correct ams plan .

there is another abrites forum here as well http://www.avdi-forum.com/

whiskeyman
16th February, 2017, 07:19 PM
now why would the owner of crap diagnostics start this thread i wonder???????????????????????

obdsystems
16th February, 2017, 07:39 PM

Internal battery will go flat eventually
- that's fact. Not rocket science.

Does it matter?
- no, just send it back to Abrites and they will fix. Had mine repaired within days, and no expensive KAP scheme

BMW CAS3 Downgrades?
- Never used On-Line version for downgrades - don't like idea. And all tools bugger up car from time to time.
Your lying if claim else as no tool 100%. However, ALL members should respect AVDI software for what it does do.

And finally -
Best buy direct from Abrites website. I won't do link cos naughty forum rules.

Good kit - Pleased with mine. Well done Abrites

I don't need to ask any questions :)

Meat-Head
16th February, 2017, 08:11 PM

He is the owner of kap !

Obd r you owner of KAP.?

Would like to confirm this DK member is real, he also has more "friends"
than you can count.

He is located between london and scotland, when i went to visit him he is a great guy
but he dont like propane gas heaters.

Rob h, I've been a member on this forum since 2009

confirmed

He said he has no money and not owner of kapk

confirmed when last visited

now why would the owner of crap diagnostics start this thread i wonder???????????????????????

Whoa whoa "diagnostic= airbag light, abs engine light etc"
as far as one is concerened this is a programming too, steering locks keys, instrument etc etc

rob h
16th February, 2017, 08:17 PM
Repair only if AMS is paid first!

It will better be a gold battery then!

indienick
16th February, 2017, 08:36 PM

Always keep voltage good and cas should never be bricked

Brother I appreciate you very much on these forums but this is simply not true.

I have AVDI and did ISTA firmware downgrade maybe 40 times in total. Every single time the procedure is the same exact. I have a laptop that is dedicated for AVDI that has Intel processor and Windows 7 only. Zero other software. Just AVDI. And I use a microprocessor controller for voltage regulation.

In 40 attempts, I have had 100% success on all 3-series cars. Never had a problem.

BMW X5 - never had a problem.

5 series cars, I have done four, and three of them required multiple attempt to flash, and luckily after I learned to jump ignition fuses so AVDI can detect the OBD system and never had to send to dealer. Was able to successfully flash.

BMW 1 series - I have hooked to two vehicles - both for spare keys. Both required firmware downgrade, and both became bricked and required CAS replacement because I do not work with dump. Abrites tech support told me the CAS is stuck in "boot mode". Both times, they were not able to get it going by OBD.

BMW X3 - I have hooked to one vehicle, and it acted exactly like the 1 Series. It completes the step 1/2 of the downgrade and then frozen. Nothing. New CAS required. Can try to reflash a million times and it will never work.

These procedures are same on all cars that use the PCF7945 or PCF7953 key. And I know I am not EEPROM guy but I know enough about BMW programming to know what works. There is nothing in the software to prevent someone like me from attempting to program 1 series. The 1 Series and the X3 have something in the CAS that does not work with AVDI. But the keys are same as 3 series, 5 series, X5, so I tried them and all three of them required new CAS module.

Maybe it's fixed now, I don't know, but I will never know because I will never hook to these vehicles again. The fact that people say "AVDI BMW cannot brick a car" is dangerous brother. It's simply not true. I am happy you have had good luck but there are a million markets out there and AVDI BMW does not work with 1 series and X3 in USA. I can testify to it. First hand experience here.

indienick
16th February, 2017, 08:45 PM
For what it's worth, I have never even heard of this dead battery issue. And my company has 14 or 15 AVDI total and never heard of this, so I'm not sure that is a problem for us.

My experience with KAP -

Bought first few AVDI from them. Had trouble with BMW firmware downgrade. For all the money you spend with them and the support they pride themselves on, they don't offer a phone number......~~~~ing crazy man. Anyway I had a customer car and customer was waiting and I sent several Skype requests and email and finally I got a rude phone call from Naheem stating that they are in France trying to expand AVDI. So this is why I did not get support, but a rude phone call. And of course he told me the car was the problem.

"Here customer, take your car to dealer because it does not start now. But don't worry, it's not my fault, it's the fault of the car". Their support is shit m8s. They have a pretty website, but in my experience, most of their customers are not loyal or long term.

rob h
16th February, 2017, 08:54 PM
Then please tell me what is wrong with it!
Abrites, they told me to send it in, so they would putt a new Battery inside.
And update it.
Pay AMS first, and offcourse shopping.

indienick
16th February, 2017, 09:18 PM
Then please tell me what is wrong with it!
Abrites, they told me to send it in, so they would putt a new Battery inside.
And update it.
Pay AMS first, and offcourse shopping.

what kind of problem you are having?
I have had to replace Tag programmer several times over the years but that's it.....if the tag programmer is having issue it will make the whole machine work poorly

rob h
16th February, 2017, 09:36 PM
As soon as i plug in the usb cable, a red led blinks 1 time.
The interface wont connect.
I used many different laptops, and correct drivers.
Butt i am not getting any connection.

I have emailed them, and they insist on AMS.
The repair itself is only 50 euro. So that is fine.
Butt the AMS, i can not do that.
We were all prommised free updates, and support.
And i will rather play, with my vvdi2, smok, obdstar and tango, then waist money on scAMS.

shafo
16th February, 2017, 10:20 PM
For what it's worth, I have never even heard of this dead battery issue. And my company has 14 or 15 AVDI total and never heard of this, so I'm not sure that is a problem for us.

My experience with KAP -

Bought first few AVDI from them. Had trouble with BMW firmware downgrade. For all the money you spend with them and the support they pride themselves on, they don't offer a phone number......~~~~ing crazy man. Anyway I had a customer car and customer was waiting and I sent several Skype requests and email and finally I got a rude phone call from Naheem stating that they are in France trying to expand AVDI. So this is why I did not get support, but a rude phone call. And of course he told me the car was the problem.

"Here customer, take your car to dealer because it does not start now. But don't worry, it's not my fault, it's the fault of the car". Their support is shit m8s. They have a pretty website, but in my experience, most of their customers are not loyal or long term.

I only have my avdi a couple of months now but today I had a cas3+ ... stories like this stopped me from making a spare key for this car..I'm a total noob at this so please forgive me ...when you downgrade it does it via online server, correct? In my country the Internet is so weak and I feared I may lose connection to the server...what happens if the connection drops while downgrading?

indienick
16th February, 2017, 10:38 PM
I only have my avdi a couple of months now but today I had a cas3+ ... stories like this stopped me from making a spare key for this car..I'm a total noob at this so please forgive me ...when you downgrade it does it via online server, correct? In my country the Internet is so weak and I feared I may lose connection to the server...what happens if the connection drops while downgrading?

buddy there is no reason to apologize. Everyone is a n00b at some point.

If the connection drops while you are downgrading, I am told you can start it again, but I am not comfortable doing this. I have not used the firmware downgrade tool much since they moved it online. I only use the offline version which I detailed in my post above the one you just quoted. You are right....it is dangerous. I don't worry about my own internet connection as much as I do the Abrites connection. Lots of people have very slow downloads of software updates from Abrites server, or the download times out. When they first released the online tool, I asked for manual, because I did not understand how to use it and I do not have my own BMW to experiment with. They told me "manual is coming soon". I stopped asking after a year......

I tried 4-5 different times to use the online ISTA firmware downgrade but after Abrites even didn't know how to do it, I no longer tried. I do not offer spare keys on CAS3+ cars anymore using AVDI. It is too dangerous and not worth the money. Every time a CAS has problems I have to sell maybe 7 keys just to make my money back. Not worth it. Go to the dealer.

There are people on this site that will tell you it's 100% safe. Abrites will always tell you it is 100% safe. I do not agree with this claim as I have bricked cars before. I can tell you that the only cars I ever bricked were 1 series and X3. Everything else has been fine / never had a problem. So really it's ultimately up to you....what are you comfortable doing? If the car is all keys lost and must visit dealer anyway, it is quite different from a customer who drove their perfectly functioning car to your shop for a spare key and the car has to leave on a tow truck.....

indienick
16th February, 2017, 10:45 PM

And i will rather play, with my vvdi2, smok, obdstar and tango, then waist money on scAMS.

I haven't seen this issue man. Sorry.

What version Windows you are running?
stupid question but you tried replacing USB cable? You are using two usb cable for power or just one?

If it is collecting dust....why not pop that sucker open and try to fix it yourself :-)

Do you have VAG software? I know a lot in the past I had to open VAG software while having internet connection to complete the update. Even if you do not have VAG.

rob h
16th February, 2017, 10:47 PM
Always make a backup first. And makes sure that you have a stable battery charger connected.
Not sure that downgrading goes online,

indienick
16th February, 2017, 10:48 PM
@Rob H send me teamviewer sometime, maybe we can get it going together. Send me PM and let's try to figure it out.

rob h
16th February, 2017, 10:53 PM
I have the single usb cable.
I run it on W7 32. Never had any problem.
Yes i have the VAG package.
The problem did not occur whilest updating.
So i should bite the bullet and open up the unit.
I might do that the end of the week. If i have any questions, i will contact you. Thank you

I haven't seen this issue man. Sorry.

What version Windows you are running?
stupid question but you tried replacing USB cable? You are using two usb cable for power or just one?

If it is collecting dust....why not pop that sucker open and try to fix it yourself :-)

Do you have VAG software? I know a lot in the past I had to open VAG software while having internet connection to complete the update. Even if you do not have VAG.

Meat-Head
16th February, 2017, 11:06 PM
1) off topic:- funny how thethiefs can steal a car with no keys add new and away in
seconds but pro brick stuff

2) on topic:- those unsure if obdmaster part of kap, your "proof " he is NOT here

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07119690/officers

any one see Obdmaster in the list?

3) reading padt threads open it up, battety falls out and
turns it into a novetly dawg lead

totalkey
16th February, 2017, 11:58 PM
1) off topic:- funny how thethiefs can steal a car with no keys add new and away in

2) on topic:- those unsure if obdmaster part of kap, your "proof " he is NOT here

I always tried to think how to answer your comments and always my brain exploded in the process. Lol
Just giving up

indienick
17th February, 2017, 12:18 AM

Big difference between stealing a BMW w no keys that's CAS3 versus CAS3+ and definitely CAS4 etc

The CAS3+ theft job would take 20 mins minimum

I have a feeling there are more people that have bricked a car than me. I have no shame in admitting it. Shit happens sometimes. As long as we learn from our mistakes.

If OBDMaster is the hulk like man I met in UK he's not owner of KAP. Great guy. Knows his shit.

key point
17th February, 2017, 01:12 AM
He is the owner of kap !

LOL HE WISHES HE WAS :chuncky:

rapidlocksmiths
17th February, 2017, 01:16 AM
Hallelujah

duplikeytor
17th February, 2017, 04:31 AM

If the connection drops while you are downgrading, I am told you can start it again, but I am not comfortable doing this. I have not used the firmware downgrade tool much since they moved it online. I only use the offline version which I detailed in my post above the one you just quoted. You are right....it is dangerous. I don't worry about my own internet connection as much as I do the Abrites connection. Lots of people have very slow downloads of software updates from Abrites server, or the download times out. When they first released the online tool, I asked for manual, because I did not understand how to use it and I do not have my own BMW to experiment with. They told me "manual is coming soon". I stopped asking after a year......

I tried 4-5 different times to use the online ISTA firmware downgrade but after Abrites even didn't know how to do it, I no longer tried. I do not offer spare keys on CAS3+ cars anymore using AVDI. It is too dangerous and not worth the money. Every time a CAS has problems I have to sell maybe 7 keys just to make my money back. Not worth it. Go to the dealer.

There are people on this site that will tell you it's 100% safe. Abrites will always tell you it is 100% safe. I do not agree with this claim as I have bricked cars before. I can tell you that the only cars I ever bricked were 1 series and X3. Everything else has been fine / never had a problem. So really it's ultimately up to you....what are you comfortable doing? If the car is all keys lost and must visit dealer anyway, it is quite different from a customer who drove their perfectly functioning car to your shop for a spare key and the car has to leave on a tow truck.....

How
How do you know if CAS3+? Is there a particular number to check in CAS? Or if it asks to downgrade, it's CAS3+?

Also what is suggested to use for Microprocessor battery maintainer when flashing?

shafo
17th February, 2017, 05:39 AM

It's never happened to me before but this is my GREATEST fear!! Having a perfectly working car come in and it has to be towed out! I suppose in this game it will never be only roses...sooner or later there will be a f*#k up! Over all I'm happy with my avdi tho! I personally haven't seen any other single tool that is so diverse in its capabilities both in function and types of vehicles it covers .

shafo
17th February, 2017, 05:41 AM
How
How do you know if CAS3+? Is there a particular number to check in CAS? Or if it asks to downgrade, it's CAS3+?

Also what is suggested to use for Microprocessor battery maintainer when flashing?

With me I knew it was a cas3+ when it asked to downgrade .... I was like- hell naw lol

yugo45
17th February, 2017, 06:35 AM
but it is free if you own avdi and have the correct ams plan already , as far as im aware all avdi owners with the correct ams can join , you dont have to pay just have correct ams plan .

there is another abrites forum here as well http://www.avdi-forum.com/

No m8, you have to buy support plan and AMS , look here, and they charge much more then real price is:
http://www.kapdiagnostics.com/avdi-assist-plans/

Fallen
17th February, 2017, 07:53 AM

Open it up and change the USB connector, 9/10 that is your problem.

bonecrusher
17th February, 2017, 08:33 AM

If you renew AMS your AVDI will magically start to function. I had this exact same issue

obdmaster
17th February, 2017, 08:56 AM
Would like to confirm this DK member is real, he also has more "friends"
than you can count.

He is located between london and scotland, when i went to visit him he is a great guy
but he dont like propane gas heaters.

confirmed

confirmed when last visited

Whoa whoa "diagnostic= airbag light, abs engine light etc"
as far as one is concerened this is a programming too, steering locks keys, instrument etc etc

At least someone talking sense, there really is so many silly people on here nowadays, that's why the best members who really knew there stuff in 2009 don't even bother posting anymore. It's still a good forum, but too many information eaters and not enough information feeders. In 2009 it was full of true technicians, not just a grease monkey with a tool box full of Chinese shite.

Meat-Head
17th February, 2017, 09:03 AM
It's still a good forum, feeders. e.

Think you meant to say the worlds best website.

like anything the FOUR times a year you REALLY need help you dont get it.

Then again Z786 awlays NEEDED help 4 times a day, but did manage to upload
dumps of weird mcu etc etc

obdmaster
17th February, 2017, 09:03 AM
Brother I appreciate you very much on these forums but this is simply not true.

I have AVDI and did ISTA firmware downgrade maybe 40 times in total. Every single time the procedure is the same exact. I have a laptop that is dedicated for AVDI that has Intel processor and Windows 7 only. Zero other software. Just AVDI. And I use a microprocessor controller for voltage regulation.

In 40 attempts, I have had 100% success on all 3-series cars. Never had a problem.

BMW X5 - never had a problem.

5 series cars, I have done four, and three of them required multiple attempt to flash, and luckily after I learned to jump ignition fuses so AVDI can detect the OBD system and never had to send to dealer. Was able to successfully flash.

BMW 1 series - I have hooked to two vehicles - both for spare keys. Both required firmware downgrade, and both became bricked and required CAS replacement because I do not work with dump. Abrites tech support told me the CAS is stuck in "boot mode". Both times, they were not able to get it going by OBD.

BMW X3 - I have hooked to one vehicle, and it acted exactly like the 1 Series. It completes the step 1/2 of the downgrade and then frozen. Nothing. New CAS required. Can try to reflash a million times and it will never work.

These procedures are same on all cars that use the PCF7945 or PCF7953 key. And I know I am not EEPROM guy but I know enough about BMW programming to know what works. There is nothing in the software to prevent someone like me from attempting to program 1 series. The 1 Series and the X3 have something in the CAS that does not work with AVDI. But the keys are same as 3 series, 5 series, X5, so I tried them and all three of them required new CAS module.

Maybe it's fixed now, I don't know, but I will never know because I will never hook to these vehicles again. The fact that people say "AVDI BMW cannot brick a car" is dangerous brother. It's simply not true. I am happy you have had good luck but there are a million markets out there and AVDI BMW does not work with 1 series and X3 in USA. I can testify to it. First hand experience here.

Problem might be be different market from Europe, as AVDI is produced in Europe and I imagine tested on European cars. And I take it you was using on line version?

shafo
17th February, 2017, 09:10 AM
Problem might be be different market from Europe, as AVDI is produced in Europe and I imagine tested on European cars. And I take it you was using on line version?

Can you downgrade using the offline version?

obdmaster
17th February, 2017, 09:22 AM

The offline version has never been updated in years you really do need to use on line version, for spares or all lost keys. When all keys lost you read ISN FROM DME. And make key that activates in slot. I agree though it needs a manual if I wasn't shown how to use it personally I'd have no idea how to use it

obdmaster
17th February, 2017, 09:25 AM

Cause I'm bored of spending all your money on fast cars and fast women. Ask meat head if I own Kap he's been to my workshop. And can confirm I have no money

obdmaster
17th February, 2017, 09:29 AM
-
Can you downgrade using the offline version?

offline version never been updated in years, online version is always updated and best to use.

But I agree could do with user manual.

i also think an iOS version, working by Bluetooth work be fantastic, or even by iPad zif connector

obdmaster
17th February, 2017, 09:36 AM
Just to say it's constantly improving, I did a 2017 fiat duccato remote key yesterday, which AVDI failed on last week

shafo
17th February, 2017, 11:51 AM
The offline version has never been updated in years you really do need to use on line version, for spares or all lost keys. When all keys lost you read ISN FROM DME. And make key that activates in slot. I agree though it needs a manual if I wasn't shown how to use it personally I'd have no idea how to use it

That's exactly what happened to me...I fitted a new dme on an e90 and needed to change isn coding in cas...manual gave me an idea but it still took a whole lot of reading on here to eventually come right...end of the day it was done tho and I was pleased with the tool��

rapidlocksmiths
17th February, 2017, 12:21 PM
manuals have always been an issue , as has clear coverage lists and clear announcements , which i suspect is the main cause of so many user difficulties and tech issues , better info clear manuals and more clarity would improve things alot for many.

the product gets some stick unfairly sometimes as people dont know fully how to use it , address this and they make their own life simpler with far less support tickets and far less forum stick , good manuals would free up alot of their time for development and bug fixing so win win , as long as you can convince some to actually look at the manual of course .

rapidlocksmiths
17th February, 2017, 12:54 PM
Just to say it's constantly improving, I did a 2017 fiat duccato remote key yesterday, which AVDI failed on last week thats useful to know as had failures in past on late ducato

indienick
17th February, 2017, 02:21 PM
How

the only way I know to check for CAS3+ is if you go to program keys and it asks you to change ISTA. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell otherwise? Would be nice to tell a customer 'check on the dash, what does the key do when such and such'
before they make a trip for spare keys.

this is the battery maintainer I use. I like this one a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-INC-700A-Amp-Automatic-Charger/dp/B002Z2Z7ZY

indienick
17th February, 2017, 02:40 PM

No sir....offline version.

I've never successfully done an online ISTA downgrade. Five or six attempts max.....I stopped trying....too nerve wracking.....but each time I tried it I was able to get the car to start again so that's good.

Meat-Head
17th February, 2017, 02:53 PM
. Ask meat head if I own Kap he's been to my workshop. And can confirm I have no money

1) cant remember excact figure but DEFFO no money after running electric
Heater in winter

2) no money after buying me lunch everyday for a week

3) BOXES of junk, hopefully one still has ldv maxus remote in it (BIG mistake
Leaving that, silly me)

4) does not own,kap, "can't remember" what it was naheem posted you, think
Something like Black Lace aagadoo 7" vinal, because he didnt trust anybody
Else in the world to sign it or something

paul_12345
17th February, 2017, 02:55 PM
Just to say it's constantly improving, I did a 2017 fiat duccato remote key yesterday, which AVDI failed on last week

good to see you back posting m8...

Its easy to moan about all the non-working functions but we all know the amount of different software and hardware versions even in the same model and year. Also easy to forget of all the functions that we wouldn't have if it wasn't for abritus.. like the new fiat software.

Still a bit more clear info like the Subaru software... no doubt they always intended to charge eventually.. a simply note would have saved all the hassle.

Also a clear table of cars it supports especially for key programming would be good... they can't even be bothered to update the sales webpage to include the updates.

What Fiat or Fiat based cars can AVDI now program obd - or maybe easier which models can't it do?

indienick
17th February, 2017, 03:22 PM
good to see you back posting m8...

Its easy to moan about all the non-working functions but we all know the amount of different software and hardware versions even in the same model and year. Also easy to forget of all the functions that we wouldn't have if it wasn't for abritus.. like the new fiat software.

Still a bit more clear info like the Subaru software... no doubt they always intended to charge eventually.. a simply note would have saved all the hassle.
Also a clear table of cars it supports especially for key programming would be good...
they can't even be bothered to update the sales webpage to include the updates.

What Fiat or Fiat based cars can AVDI now program obd - or maybe easier which models can't it do?

At this point I truly think they do not know what cars their equipment works on. This is why everything is demonstrated as "support for this cluster, support for this MCU" and not the car itself. I'm sure they have an idea what it works with but the fact is they engineer specific components of cars and not the car itself it seems. At least that's my experience.

duplikeytor
17th February, 2017, 04:56 PM

Question. Reading ISN from DME, offline or online version preferred or same result? Sometimes it asks to hold the start button to start the process in the online process, is that safe or is there risk to damage the DME or CAS for whatever reason.

Step by step would be appreciated because of the vague manual.

Gavra
17th February, 2017, 11:30 PM
Holding start is only for flashing units, ISN is easy to get from CAS&keys menu.....

bearheroes
18th February, 2017, 12:22 AM

Usb plug is known problem in abrites team...i have sent mind avdi two times for repair...first time 50 euro second 100...
Don't try to change alone because their pcb in every tool has battery for protection...and when you touch your tip of soldering iron loses data...their thought was that they protect their tool from copying...
Btw offline downgrade is for version until v45. Next versions need online.

rivalryan
18th February, 2017, 01:10 AM
A little off topic

A number of DMEs also need to be flashed in order to extract the ISN in lost key situation.
I have done a lot of BMWs over the years and repaired CAS modules others had bricked with the help of AVDI when correct flash could not be located.
I have only had 1 issue with a spare key ISTA-45 online with AVDI when it froze, I went back the next day as it was late and repeated process and completed the job, this was a server problem at the time.

You can identify if the car is CAS3+ by checking if security upgrades have been implemented, e.g do windows come down when key held in drivers door lock open position.

On the bench you can also tell from quartz inside CAS which variant it is.

CAS3+ encryption and the firmware are essentially two different things, the change in firmware allows access to Eeprom in CAS3+ via obd then you still need to decrypt it, hence why if ISN is known you can do job on bench without changing firmware.

Anyway ......Overall I think its a great tool with many additional functions not found in other devices e.g ford ETIS as-built data access which I use quite a lot. It paid for itself in no time and rarely lets me down for what I use it on.

duplikeytor
18th February, 2017, 08:00 AM
A little off topic

A number of DMEs also need to be flashed in order to extract the ISN in lost key situation.
I have done a lot of BMWs over the years and repaired CAS modules others had bricked with the help of AVDI when correct flash could not be located.
I have only had 1 issue with a spare key ISTA-45 online with AVDI when it froze, I went back the next day as it was late and repeated process and completed the job, this was a server problem at the time.

You can identify if the car is CAS3+ by checking if security upgrades have been implemented, e.g do windows come down when key held in drivers door lock open position.

On the bench you can also tell from quartz inside CAS which variant it is.

CAS3+ encryption and the firmware are essentially two different things, the change in firmware allows access to Eeprom in CAS3+ via obd then you still need to decrypt it, hence why if ISN is known you can do job on bench without changing firmware.

Anyway ......Overall I think its a great tool with many additional functions not found in other devices e.g ford ETIS as-built data access which I use quite a lot. It paid for itself in no time and rarely lets me down for what I use it on.

This is where my question came from, some DMEs in lost keys, AVDI start a flashing process which is where it asks to hold the start.

If someone can work on a guide to CAS3+ and reasons it would brick, and ways to get it back alive, I'm willing to pay for it.

shafo
18th February, 2017, 09:03 AM
I need to do an edc17cp14 ecu via boot...it reads fine but I now need to update the flash with an egr dpf off file...Guy who made the file sounded very concerned that I am using avdi as he was not sure if avdi can do checksum...I see an option to checksum the file but I'm not sure how that works? Load the file to avdi..do checksum and then flash to ecu?anybody successfully do this before using avdi?

gttuning
18th February, 2017, 09:44 AM
I need to do an edc17cp14 ecu via boot...it reads fine but I now need to update the flash with an egr dpf off file...Guy who made the file sounded very concerned that I am using avdi as he was not sure if avdi can do checksum...I see an option to checksum the file but I'm not sure how that works? Load the file to avdi..do checksum and then flash to ecu?anybody successfully do this before using avdi?
I never done with avdi but if you have otion to checksum file do that and then write in to ecu.it might ask you befor writing do you want to preform checksum ...so press no as you done it before.

obdsystems
18th February, 2017, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=indienick;2959347]Big difference between stealing a BMW w no keys that's CAS3 versus CAS3+ and definitely CAS4 etc

I have a feeling there are more people that have bricked a car than me. I have no shame in admitting it. Shit happens sometimes. As long as we learn from our mistakes.

Other day i got Erased flash ...done, programming ....failed. shite myself. Now i always backup 1st.

JIMMYQ
19th February, 2017, 11:37 AM
i have no money m8, so no

you must be minted by now lol he's not the owner we bought our avdi's at a similar time. AVDI is the one of the best tools on the market and i have never had any issues with either the tool or KAP diagnostics who have always been there and never let me down neither has AVDI. Very rare occasions where it has not worked its on the next update and rectified the techs are working 24/7 to keep us boys rolling with the new software and keep us up to date with the new platforms. Yes there have been some changes but still worth every penny and the best investment one can buy as professional.If you want to be a professional setup you need professional tools and services too which do cost.

Now all depends on you and yes you can buy an FVDI or VVDI which may work alongside a mickey mouse setup. I personally support any original developer and stick by them and support their products and services so they can develop more which benefits us. End of the day it does the job the first time and every time i aint worried its going to mess anything up or crash on a car. Every tool has some hiccups no matter what but abritus always listen and rectify it. prime example I had some clocks avdi wouldnt recognise them sent them off to kap and now included in latest update. You have to support and co-operate not just banter and cry.

for me its KAP and AVDI all the way i invest and rest i dont invest and stress you get what you pay for like they say pay peanuts and get monkeys.

whiskeyman
19th February, 2017, 01:29 PM
Had a wee chuckle at this:chuncky:

abrities always listen"...............really ?

rapidlocksmiths
19th February, 2017, 03:59 PM
As ive said earlier until theres compramise on both sides , relations will only worsen , without abrites we suffer but without loyal customers so do abrites suffer , its an undeniable fact that abrites have upset alot of their existing and long term customers in recent weeks , and for what ? a few extra euros ?

dont have to sell it to me at all , i love the abrites product and have always had a good experience with kap , but after recent events even my loyalty is tested , loyalty and respect is two way , not just 1 way.

Meat-Head
19th February, 2017, 04:03 PM
Off topic:-

like zedbull being zedfull leaving customers with bricks

on topic:-

can't you email the maker direct for support?

z786
19th February, 2017, 10:51 PM
The TRUTH about AVDI is............
its the best tool on the market, you cannot touch it in comparison with another, smok is not far behind but other than that its THE best

the truth about KAP is........................ i'll leave that to your imagination

key point
19th February, 2017, 11:45 PM
The TRUTH about AVDI is............
its the best tool on the market, you cannot touch it in comparison with another, smok is not far behind but other than that its THE best

the truth about KAP is........................ i'll leave that to your imagination

Tango and Orange 5 are right up there, great value for money.

bonecrusher
20th February, 2017, 07:26 AM
I see this thread has awoken most of the 2009'ers. I enjoy using the AVDi and I am pretty sure I cant do without it.

gttuning
20th February, 2017, 09:39 AM
I see this thread has awoken most of the 2009'ers. I enjoy using the AVDi and I am pretty sure I cant do without it.
Most cant do with out it just hope they adjust to there costumers expectations. Still nothing out there close to abrites.
Few problems but thats life.

indienick
20th February, 2017, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=indienick;2959347]Big difference between stealing a BMW w no keys that's CAS3 versus CAS3+ and definitely CAS4 etc

Other day i got Erased flash ...done, programming ....failed. shite myself. Now i always backup 1st.

What'd you do, bud?

Also - what is this backup option? This is built into BMW software now?
The 1 series I had - there was zero communicating with CAS after failed flash so I am not sure backup could help me, at least by OBD.

indienick
20th February, 2017, 04:13 PM
Mods please change my start date to 2009 so I can be considered a 2009'er.

electromech
20th February, 2017, 04:28 PM
A question I pose is that if everyone bought the Original unit would they still need to make the prices this high (AMS suddenly appeared when FVDI was at it peak of $999 for full)....I have come to support people that do good work...Just recently I bought a Original VCDS unit knowing full and well I can get a knock off for the fraction of the price But I honestly believe they doing good work and would like to support them for future development....same with Abrites I bought Original.....The more we support good companies the better staff and facilities they can aquire and in turn making us and end users lifes abit easier though Support.......Just my two cents

paul_12345
20th February, 2017, 04:40 PM
A question I pose is that if everyone bought the Original unit would they still need to make the prices this high (AMS suddenly appeared when FVDI was at it peak of $999 for full)....I have come to support people that do good work...Just recently I bought a Original VCDS unit knowing full and well I can get a knock off for the fraction of the price But I honestly believe they doing good work and would like to support them for future development....same with Abrites I bought Original.....The more we support good companies the better staff and facilities they can aquire and in turn making us and end users lifes abit easier though Support.......Just my two cents

If everyone had avdi they would charge more because they wouldn't care if they lost some customers.

yugo45
20th February, 2017, 05:05 PM
If everyone had avdi they would charge more because they wouldn't care if they lost some customers.

This is where the biggest problem when this job when down the hill.

No matter what tool you have cheap clone or original we should charge same price. The thing is that many guys do not know what customer pay , customer pay our knowledge not that we own cheap tool then we can charge cheaper.

I had a guy that start complain about price , it takes only 10 minutes and you want to charge me this much , and I hang him my tool and told him ,here you have free tool , DO It.
He goes but I do not know how, I told him , this is what you paying for , my knowledge not my time.

sparkz02
21st February, 2017, 02:37 PM
Abrites may well be the best, I agree but other tools aint far behind these days, Lets take a ZED FULL and MVP Pro as an example, They are token based and like everyone else I aint keen BUT,

Abrites Renault package - Including VAT from KAP would cost me ?2871 - Even if it cost me ?20 per car in tokens I'd have to do 143 Renault cars to get my money for the AVDI SW instead, plus by the time I have done 143 Renaults they will release more paid updates, which again might take me about 100 RENAULTS to pay again, whilst on ZEDFULL/MVP Pro its added for FREE new versions.

What makes the stats even worse is that off that 143 most of these Renault I'd be able to do with older toosl e.g. zedbull or clones or whatever. So it'd have to be 143 NEWER renaults, megane 3, laguna 3, clios ect. At the rate the jobs can in would take me 10 years.

Have I got this wrong? Or how busy are you guys!

electromech
21st February, 2017, 03:02 PM
Abrites may well be the best, I agree but other tools aint far behind these days, Lets take a ZED FULL and MVP Pro as an example, They are token based and like everyone else I aint keen BUT,

Abrites Renault package - Including VAT from KAP would cost me ?2871 - Even if it cost me ?20 per car in tokens I'd have to do 143 Renault cars to get my money for the AVDI SW instead, plus by the time I have done 143 Renaults they will release more paid updates, which again might take me about 100 RENAULTS to pay again, whilst on ZEDFULL/MVP Pro its added for FREE new versions.

What makes the stats even worse is that off that 143 most of these Renault I'd be able to do with older toosl e.g. zedbull or clones or whatever. So it'd have to be 143 NEWER renaults, megane 3, laguna 3, clios ect. At the rate the jobs can in would take me 10 years.

Have I got this wrong? Or how busy are you guys!

One can almost never make your monies back on these expensive modules...BUT if you do spent the money then you will have better spin offs to other jobs that you do make up for it as you will have a Reputation as one that can do where others can not....Old saying "What you lose at the swings you make up at the roundabouts"

rapidlocksmiths
21st February, 2017, 03:08 PM
i guess it depends on each individual business , ie how much tokens are how many you buy etc , ie buy tokens from ad in 50s then token costs are ?19.08 each inclusive of vat , buy tokens in 250s and they cost you ?9.57 each , so whether better or worse value depends on volume of work and how many you buy.

buy unlimited use on mvp pro for 12 months then almost ?2400 with the vat , so ?46 per week for unlimited use so just short of ?7 per day , if using the machine constantly then cheaper option.

the obvious advantage with avdi is the later coverage they seem to have first .

token machines like zedfull and mvp pro can represent good value

i just prefer the token free units , always have .

also to buy a zedfull isnt cheap compared to an avdi unit , ie you can buy avdi plus renault package for a similar price to a zedfull unit , so unit cost is a factor too , mvp pro is far lower priced than zedfull as a unit , unlimited use is cheaper too . over all token free is my prefered option , tokens and unlimited use are a forever money drain , token free unit once paid back is free , yes you update to new coverage and pay some more , but updates are not as expensive in a year as tokens.

in my opinion zedfull is very overpriced for a token based unit , by the time you add on the extra packs needed to get most out of it , what they charge for bmw and mercedes packs just to be able to do these on token basis is very expensive . it may suit a new start with no other kit , but for someone who has alot of token free coverage , an orange and tango , and a decent cloner , the unit is very expensive option for limited added benefits , so not a tool aimed at most of us and more aimed at new starts , id certainly struggle to make one pay as would always use my token free options before a token option. mvp pro offers better value as an add on unit due to cost.

avdi was what i invested in when iea did their long vanishing act and stabbed zedbull users in back and twisted the knife , had they not done this and did a deal for their zedbull customers id have trusted them more and would have bought a token free zedfull by now , but once i had invested in avdi it made payback on a zedfull almost impossible sadly , i may get one second hand at some point , but wouldnt pay that price new for an add on occasional use token based unit. what if they decide to do a vanishing act again and stab their zedfull users as they did zedbull ? if they did it once they have form to do so again.
when you look at cost of mercedes pack to have token use versus cost of MN026 with avdi , avdi is cheaper solution token free , so swings and roundabouts .

for a new start with nothing , it has more appeal and value than to someone with a decent set up already.

these may not have ams for updates , but if wanting support you must also have the extended warranty as well and pay this annual fee .

theres positives and negatives for both , at end of day it comes down to usage and individual business , for me token free coverage will always win the day . who knows if ever a good enough deal , or they have a change of mind and do a deal for zedbull users or a good one comes up 2nd hand at right price , never say never as i like what they do , but too expensive for me on what extra it offers me so il stick with avdi warts and all .

norman1967
21st February, 2017, 06:55 PM
Good post rapidlocksmiths.

Here is my point of view. I bought my avdI September 2016 so I'm quite a new user.

I have no experience in life before ams but I am sure that would have left a bitter taste in my mouth if I had bought it pre ams like you people

It took me over 12 months to decide to buy as I was watching closely and had my guard up as I had heard about crypoworks zed full and so on

Obviously as you can see I decided to go for it

I bought two licences which cost me over ?2000 plus of course my hardware cira ?700. So I'm 3 grand in now. Lucky for me I've had no real issues with anything I've asked it to do. I have approximately earned 50% of my investment back. Now I was planning on buying more licences once I had seen my investment returned. I have a desire to learn merc and was also toying with the idea of opel package for pin reading.

Now seeing what's been getting posted on this new thread and the original one avdi user help I have decided to not go ahead and count myself lucky my investment is limited.

Now don't get me wrong I am not gloating about this I am truly disappointed.

I now feel I am not confident in Abritus enough to carry on investing in a tool I really enjoy owning and using, I am actually quite proud i have the tool and its at my disposal.

I will be watching and studying what goes on with Abritus and what gets said on DK

But as far as future investments from me go its a no.

I'm be seeing what the veteran tool owners are doing/buying and using in 12 months from now until I make any more investment's with Abritus.

rapidlocksmiths
21st February, 2017, 07:43 PM
well if you decide to invest , opel , fiat and psa on avdi have been excellent investments for me , all giving payback very quickly but i do a good number of these makes , so opel is a good one to take on when your confident to do so as best pin coverage of any tool .

obdsystems
21st February, 2017, 11:01 PM
Trouble with Tokens is do you get your money back when kit doesn't program key/remote ?
Happens all the time -

Customer certainly won't pay. So rather spend that ?10 a token down betting office & bar

obdsystems
22nd February, 2017, 11:12 PM
@OBD MAster

So how come AVDI fails on Ford Focus smart with no key slot ???

Can you pass this on to KAP And Abrites. Many thanks appreciated since it was advertised to work on these cars

aceton
24th February, 2017, 11:08 AM
This is where the biggest problem when this job when down the hill.

No matter what tool you have cheap clone or original we should charge same price. The thing is that many guys do not know what customer pay , customer pay our knowledge not that we own cheap tool then we can charge cheaper.

I had a guy that start complain about price , it takes only 10 minutes and you want to charge me this much , and I hang him my tool and told him ,here you have free tool , DO It.
He goes but I do not know how, I told him , this is what you paying for , my knowledge not my time.

I'm admin forum.
I divide forum for new users ( sandobx ) and users with experience and knowlage ( vip ).
If i see that baby is good he get vip and see hidden part of forum.
Interested topic with solution i move to vip group.

Here knowlage is leaking - prices going down.

Most users helps without check who they help.

sorry for my english

Fallen
24th February, 2017, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=obdsystems;2960805]

What'd you do, bud?

Also - what is this backup option? This is built into BMW software now?
The 1 series I had - there was zero communicating with CAS after failed flash so I am not sure backup could help me, at least by OBD.

There is no OBD backup, you have to remove the CAS and read both eeprom and flash with a programmer like xprog before you downgrade the CAS.
If the downgrade fails, you can always remove the CAS again and write the original files back to the unit, it will work 100%.
I always do this now and it has saved my bacon many, many times.

norman1967
24th February, 2017, 12:44 PM
@OBD MAster

Can you pass this on to KAP And Abrites. Many thanks appreciated since it was advertised to work on these cars
There are 10 types of people in life, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Year? After 2015 focus smart no longer 80bit and key must be placed in armrest during programming.

obdsystems
24th February, 2017, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=indienick;2962181]

There is no OBD backup, you have to remove the CAS and read both eeprom and flash with a programmer like xprog before you downgrade the CAS.
If the downgrade fails, you can always remove the CAS again and write the original files back to the unit, it will work 100%.

Hi Fallen,

Yes always now but i'd never use XProg - R270 but saving up for SMOK cos heard the best.
XProg genuine is probably great but i found clone too hit n miss - i never walk away with genuine Orange for older stuff

Also plan to buy VVDI2 BMW - i hear it's very good over AVDI

obdsystems
24th February, 2017, 09:20 PM
@OBD MAster

There are 10 types of people in life, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Year? After 2015 focus smart no longer 80bit and key must be placed in armrest during programming.

this was a 2013

it's not just me, but also others users who have experienced this bug.

But to be fair, all tools have issues with Ford - nothing 100%

rapidlocksmiths
25th February, 2017, 01:10 AM
you are correct that nothing is 100% on ford , we have all moaned when avdi has failed and other kit has succeeded , especially ad100 pro which has made big strides on ford , today the tables turned and avdi saved day .

AD100 failed on a 2014 1.0 ltr fiesta , went through motions , screen saying can take 8 minutes , then access denied and failed , plugged abrites in and 5 minutes later 2 new keys coded , all kit has odd issues and unexplained failures , on this occasion avdi succeeded when the others failed.

all for moaning about failures of avdi to get it fixed , but also good to post on the positives when it does succeed when others dont , all goes to prove multiple options are required to get the job done .

ive been critical of avdi over past month , and in many cases rightly so , i still disagree with some of recent actions and issues , but despite odd issues , for me at least the successes outnumber the failures and if i was to list the positives the thread would be far bigger than now , but as people we tend only to shout about the issues and not about the positives , i wouldnt be without avdi just as i wouldnt be without my ad kit and other units either .

duplikeytor
25th February, 2017, 04:28 AM

s

Is Smok the best to read these freescales secure processor?

Fallen
25th February, 2017, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=Fallen;2965631]

s

Is Smok the best to read these freescales secure processor?

I have 2 Smok programmers and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
All my CAS get read using an x-prog running xprogbox software.
It's expensive but not as expensive as replacing a CAS or having to explain to the customer why they can't drive their car away.

duplikeytor
25th February, 2017, 06:07 AM
[QUOTE=duplikeytor;2966298]

I have 2 Smok programmers and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
It's expensive but not as expensive as replacing a CAS or having to explain to the customer why they can't drive their car away.

My

Understanding is XPROG clones are only available, where can legit ones be purchased?

shafo
25th February, 2017, 06:47 AM
Would the black r270 be good enough to read cas3+ with?

gttuning
25th February, 2017, 08:44 AM
Since i bought Smok was using x prog for MCU but always had some conection issue.
Thats why i bouhht Smok.
Realy good tool i use it now for maybe 4 years and never had issues with it.fir CAS buck up i only use it and for EZS aswell.

vageric
25th February, 2017, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=Fallen;2966301]

My

Understanding is XPROG clones are only available, where can legit ones be purchased?

http://www.eldb.eu/

http://www.xprog-m.com/

obdsystems
25th February, 2017, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=duplikeytor;2966298]

My friends recommend SMOK - all professional auto guys.
but will share your concern to them!

I think many negative comments on DK have been from old versions -as being commercial it's always updated.

obdsystems
25th February, 2017, 10:37 AM
Would the black r270 be good enough to read cas3+ with?

Check the forums here - some good and bad R270 versions out there. Open it up & look at components. Get a CAS to practice/test on!!

My R270 damaged flash once on CLK but used many times np on CAS and EZS ok.

tunertool
25th February, 2017, 11:41 AM

Even if the flash is totally messed... I can still repair the CAS3+ even when its updated to latest software by dealer and AVDI makes it dead... all I need is the CAS3/CAS3+ and a key.

duplikeytor
23rd March, 2017, 06:49 AM

Hi Rob,

Guess what, after 1.5 years of usage, now I have the exact same problem you have. 1 red blink and then nothing, changed USB, new computer, I even got new links to download. Nothing

Did you end up repairing? I'm thinking of opening and checking it out.

rapidlocksmiths
23rd March, 2017, 11:29 AM
i would send back for repair , do you not have an extended warranty plan with your distributor ? if so repair should be free , better to be safe than sorry i suspect

obdsystems
23rd March, 2017, 01:09 PM
mine got repaired asap for ?90 and wasn't on any extended warrenttee plan.

my advice is don't run engine when plugged in - the multi[plexors blow above 15V so subject to spikes

obdsystems
23rd March, 2017, 01:11 PM
Hi Rob,

Guess what, after 1.5 years of usage, now I have the exact same problem you have. 1 red blink and then nothing, changed USB, new computer, I even got new links to download. Nothing

Did you end up repairing? I'm thinking of opening and checking it out.

may be worth oppening just to check for burnt out chips

duplikeytor
23rd March, 2017, 02:19 PM
Yes it was plugged into a vehicle and at first it worked but after 5 minutes working on vehicle, stopped.

obdsystems
23rd March, 2017, 05:24 PM
Easy to open up AVDI, unlike an M8 which i totalled lols, next

hope u get it fixed ok

rob h
23rd March, 2017, 06:06 PM
Just finnished with replacing the battery, the problem remains.
The Com port is visible in the device manager.
After plugging in the usb, a single red led blinks one time on the interface.

As soon as Abrites comes with something that i need, i will send it in for repair.

gokart
23rd March, 2017, 08:22 PM
Just finnished with replacing the battery, the problem remains.
The Com port is visible in the device manager.
After plugging in the usb, a single red led blinks one time on the interface.

As soon as Abrites comes with something that i need, i will send it in for repair.

I hope you didn't replace the battery in AVDI.

shafo
23rd March, 2017, 10:11 PM
Just finnished with replacing the battery

LOL sure seems as if that's what he's done....y should he not have tho?

paul_12345
23rd March, 2017, 11:56 PM
LOL sure seems as if that's what he's done....y should he not have tho?

Because encryption keys are held in RAM as protection from chip attacks - so if you remove the battery you loose the keys and it wont work.

I tested a clone and you can use usb power and change the battery - although I wouldn't trust how reliable it would be.

Also dead battery = device detected in control panel but avdi software wont detect it, obviously ruling out laptop/driver issues first.

duplikeytor
24th March, 2017, 12:29 AM
I tested the battery and it was 3V, so I did not touch that. Nothing else seems obviously damaged. The only thing the technician had mentioned is that when he plugged it in the ford first to perform PCM work, there was a booster on the car, it first worked, but then after turning off the software and back on because it was not doing a particular task. Then it kept on updating the firmware, and at some point you get the message "Security Dongle Fail" or something of that sort.

Will be sending it in for repair.