PDA

View Full Version : Apple mac??

krazylegz
28th September, 2009, 11:26 AM
does anyone here have an Apple mac?

i'm after a new pc for the kids for christmas but are they are any pros/cons over a windows pc as they are both used to windows...i just like the look of the apples lol

Repoman123
28th September, 2009, 04:20 PM
it's a big commitment mate if you are thinking of switching just because you like the look of 'em lol

i strongly recommend you go to an apple store and try one out before you commit

the biggest thing i hate about apple is that they are literally 3 times the price for the same spec

the operating systems are very different and if your kids are still young it may be a good idea to get a windows laptop until they are old enough to decide whether they wanna 'convert' to mac

dozy
6th October, 2009, 01:41 PM
If you're willing to switch to something better, then don't think twice ;)

krazylegz
6th October, 2009, 08:35 PM
thanks for the replies......yeah the kids are quite young 8 and 4 so guess i'll stick with a standard pc for now

grn
7th October, 2009, 11:22 AM
For that age if they are familiar with PC's I'd stick with them. I've just switched to an Imac and it's taking a while to say the least!

Sirus
7th October, 2009, 10:07 PM
Another thing may be worth doing is to look on ebay for an old mac.. Id recommend a powermac G4 or any mac G4 for that matter but you cant go much wrong with a powermac g4 as theyre classics and workhorses and only about 50 for a good one

You can run OSX tiger on them very well and are brilliant for just online stuff and to break into a mac enviroment

Macs are easier for kids to manage also as they dont require any maintaince so to speak.. windows have all them pop ups and need antivirus spyware protectin and things running on startup and all that crap.. macs are simple and more a choice for kids if you ask me

I just thought to mention that as you dont need to buy a new one or be running the latest OS to get the best out of a mac

I was looking a powermac G4 on ebay for a while and finally got one at 99p(yes under a pound but cost 15 to ship) needed a harddrive and powersupply got it sorted works a treat .. lovin it

dropoutdave
10th October, 2009, 05:18 PM
I highly recommend the mac. The only thing I use the PC for is doing reports for work on because the version of office they wrote for the mac isn't very good.

I wouldn't worry about the transition to mac so much if you'll still have a PC in the house. That way you can ease yourself in. That and the kids will pick it up pretty quickly, you know what they are like with technology. Put us all to shame!!

dropoutdave
10th October, 2009, 05:19 PM
Oh, and also if you really need a PC aswell you can always install windows on the mac using parallels or boot camp. It's pretty straight forward, then you get the best of both worlds on one computer.

Hoggy
7th November, 2009, 06:20 PM
Mac for me every time. No malware

cristec
28th November, 2009, 02:58 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed with a Mac, I have had an imac for about 2 years now and have never looked back.
When I first got it I was going to install Windows XP with boot camp, but it was so good, I decided not to, and as others have pointed out no virus protection needed, very few popups, speed of turning on and off about 20 seconds and it's ready to go from cold start.
The build quality is superb, and now there is much more software about (to try before you buy) if you get my meaning.

HTH

bawbag_
28th November, 2009, 03:55 PM
Get a Mac and you'll never look back. The kids will love it and take to it like duck to water. I've been with Mac for 3 years and I love it. I have Win 7 and XP on VMware Fusion 3 and it runs seamlessly with my Snow Leopard.:smokin:

hooky12
29th November, 2009, 03:45 AM
Mac is easy and friendly to use but takes a little getting used 2. No virus etc and easy to install/uninstall.....Windows is good for kids as used in pretty much most schools. Not a fan of windows doh! Dem boys at Apple know what they're doing.

caveman_nige
29th November, 2009, 05:24 AM
ahem.. no virus for macs..? so wrong.. virus or ''malware" exists for windows, macs and linux... the nonchalant idea that it is somehow immune and give advise to that affect is misguided and wrong... people use what OS most suits them and their needs... In my time i have had to clean up a few macs and also with recent my linux systems i find the need to the same.... no machine attached to the net is immune... mac, linux or windows i can get into it....

as for what machine for your kids krazy thats different... things will change so much between now and when they become part of the workforce.. personally i would have them stick with windows as a main machine but have access to mac and linux... for them to be familiar with all of the above can only be of benefit but love him or hate him Bill has the market and to ignore Windows is truly misguided...

imikho
9th January, 2010, 08:23 PM
Mac this is our everything!

roadsterix
14th January, 2010, 04:54 PM
I vote for mac :thrasher:

flood
30th November, 2010, 08:26 PM
Go for a Mac....you'll not regret it....

propertynorm
2nd December, 2010, 01:18 AM
Get a Mac. You will not regret the switch. If you want to play safe just run windows on it as well. They are gonna take over the world so why resist.

Hoggy
5th December, 2010, 06:08 PM
I've used Macs for the last eleven years and have never had a problem of any sort. Perhaps just lucky.
Would never change back to Windows but I use Windows 7 occasionally through installed Parallels SW.

sup3rb0b
4th March, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've got a MacBook and a little NetBook running Windows 7. When the Mac has software updates, I click on one box and wait a couple of minutes for them to install.

I've just spent half an hour with the NetBook whilst it checks itself over, suggests permissions changes, loads software, installs it and leaves me with a machine that is satisfied that I am no longer open to all manner of attacks.

I have OpenOffice on my Mac instead of Windows Office (a little slower, but totally FREE) and Flip4Mac (for those occasions when I need to open a .WMV file).

Get the Mac, you'll feel like stormclouds have cleared and you've stepped into a brand new world. Good luck! :wavey:

Hoggy
4th March, 2011, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=caveman_nige;354331]ahem.. no virus for macs..? so wrong.. virus or ''malware" exists for windows, macs and linux... the nonchalant idea that it is somehow immune and give advise to that affect is misguided and wrong... people use what OS most suits them and their needs... In my time i have had to clean up a few macs and also with recent my linux systems i find the need to the same.... no machine attached to the net is immune... mac, linux or windows i can get into it....

I've been using Macs for ten years alongside others using MS crap. Never had any Malware of any sort over that time. Buddies with MS have problems all the time.

That's good enough for me to say Macs are superior

chrisg
23rd April, 2011, 12:02 AM
iv'e been mac 6 years now :)
they cost more but they are so much better quality than all that other tacky shit on the market. however i use macs because the OS is so much better than windows. i run a hackintosh as well (normal PC running mac OSX) which is easy to live with but will never compare to an actual mac. you also have to remember that they hold there value very well too, so you will get you money back if you decide to sell. no other PC's keeps there value like a mac.

chrisg
23rd April, 2011, 12:18 AM
ahem.. no virus for macs..? so wrong.. virus or ''malware" exists for windows, macs and linux... the nonchalant idea that it is somehow immune and give advise to that affect is misguided and wrong... people use what OS most suits them and their needs... In my time i have had to clean up a few macs and also with recent my linux systems i find the need to the same.... no machine attached to the net is immune... mac, linux or windows i can get into it....

as for what machine for your kids krazy thats different... things will change so much between now and when they become part of the workforce.. personally i would have them stick with windows as a main machine but have access to mac and linux... for them to be familiar with all of the above can only be of benefit but love him or hate him Bill has the market and to ignore Windows is truly misguided...

it's real difficult but not impossible to get any virus's ect on a mac. i do all of the right things to get them, (things that threw up warning messages in the masses of software windows required to run clean) with no protection and i have never had a problem. OSX is just far more secure than windows and then apple patches any holes asap.

i also had no problems in open suse, (although i dont really use it) it's just not as good as OSX. it's pretty much the same only uglier (even with themes ect) and has far less support than OSX.

each to their own but i think technically OSX is the best.

LeviDenim
24th April, 2011, 04:30 PM
I have seen tidbits of Lion and it just keeps getting better.

As far as keeping cooties out of the system I use Virus Barrier X6 suite. It has been around for a long time and is not bloat ware. It does not slow the boot times or anything else down.
As far as the ultimate traffic monitor I also run Little Snitch and it tells me when ever any program is trying to phone home or a web page is calling to another place it should not be.

bobwill
2nd May, 2011, 08:23 PM
it's real difficult but not impossible to get any virus's ect on a mac. i do all of the right things to get them, (things that threw up warning messages in the masses of software windows required to run clean) with no protection and i have never had a problem. OSX is just far more secure than windows and then apple patches any holes asap.

i also had no problems in open suse, (although i dont really use it) it's just not as good as OSX. it's pretty much the same only uglier (even with themes ect) and has far less support than OSX.

each to their own but i think technically OSX is the best.
I use a imac 20" and prefer it to a pc but just read on ZDnet that malware writers are now targeting Mac OSX I do run an antivirus but is there any good mac based malware removal programs
Coming soon to a Mac near you: serious malware | ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/coming-soon-to-a-mac-near-you-serious-malware/3212?tag=nl.e589)

rookieforlife
2nd May, 2011, 10:26 PM
I vote mac evrytime but for young kids pc will do. I had my first macbook about 3 weeks before i used it just cos i didnt understand it!!!! since then gone Imac n never looked back. Pricey it is but you know what ur getting however if u do choose to get ebay are good but i got mine duty free at aairport after i compared purchasing from abroad (canada, usa) worked out cheaper from duty free than from abroad after you do the exchange rate and pay the duty on it!

bill4676
15th June, 2011, 11:25 PM
mac every time but not for playing games

sams2
2nd August, 2011, 06:07 AM
Install OSX on a PC and use Windows too...

jaja210
7th March, 2012, 01:23 PM
i have moved from window to mac best thing ever .