PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Starview 5 and have a few questions.

Gazlong
28th September, 2009, 08:28 PM
Everything has loaded up well enough. just got a few questions:

1) I'm trying to create a favourites list but it's not working. I'm following the instructions in the manual but nothing is happening. Any ideas?

2) I've noticed that a good chunk of channels are pretty choppy and pixelated. Some look excellent though. What settings are best?

3) I've unlocked all the pay channels but those channels still have the little dollar sign beside them. Is there anyway to get them off or is it something you just live with?

Thanks.

Gazlong
29th September, 2009, 07:45 PM
Just to elaborate on the picture quality:

It really depends on which channel I'm watching but sometimes there's really bad pixelating. It's mostly noticable on movement and can ruin a solid picture. I can live with a bit of blur but not full squared pixels popping all over the place. Even my old analogue box wasn't that bad.

Now I've looked at my two signal bars and think that may be the problem. The quality bar is nearly always 99% but the level bar ranges from 45% to about 60%, which is the highest I've seen. Are these percentages normal?

I have a splitter which splits the Starview box and my broadband. I've also tightened the cable into the Starview box as well as I could but it won't go up to the very top. Could this be the reason? Although I don't think so as I get all the channels and they all work.

Any ideas?

smoggy
29th September, 2009, 07:58 PM
your signal is low, I would remake all connections to try and improve it (try removing the splitter to test if signal improves)
the dollar sign is just an indication that its a subscription channel

can't comment on your other queries as I have no experience with this box

Gazlong
29th September, 2009, 09:36 PM
your signal is low, I would remake all connections to try and improve it (try removing the splitter to test if signal improves)
the dollar sign is just an indication that its a subscription channel

can't comment on your other queries as I have no experience with this box

Thanks for answering.

I've gotten used to the dollar sign now and have managed to create a favourites channel. Only the picture quality query remains. Just for example, what's the usual percentage for the two signal bars? How would I know it's normal?

DESSERTDOG
30th September, 2009, 08:49 AM
Is this the first box you have connected to this cable?
are all the connections nice and tight?
how many spitters have you in line ?
what firmware are you using 2.02 or 2.03?

jaydee
30th September, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for answering.

I've gotten used to the dollar sign now and have managed to create a favourites channel. Only the picture quality query remains. Just for example, what's the usual percentage for the two signal bars? How would I know it's normal? On my box the Signals are Top bar 50% Bottom 90%, i am not sure if this is the norm but the pictures are perfect.

Gazlong
30th September, 2009, 05:15 PM
Is this the first box you have connected to this cable?
are all the connections nice and tight?
how many spitters have you in line ?
what firmware are you using 2.02 or 2.03?

Had an old analogue box that used this cable for a long time. No real picture problems with it at all.

I think so. I tightened it as far as I could. Does the bolt have to be all the way up? I've got like three wrungs that still show but, as I said, I probably couldn't get it further unless I used a wrench or something.

Just one splitter splitting my broadband internet and the Starview box.

I'm using 2.02 and don't see anything wrong with it. I get every channel. Could that really affect the signal? I wouldn't want to upgrade for nothing.

vtorres
30th September, 2009, 05:54 PM
Try user setup pal I. Not an expert might help. Menu, user input, modulator PAL-I.

DESSERTDOG
30th September, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think you have tightened the connections up as far as they will go have you concidered an amplifier? also try what vtorres suggest it may help m8 you could also try 2.03 i have no idea why it was released but there must be a reason lol

khenryashley
30th September, 2009, 06:22 PM
Had an old analogue box that used this cable for a long time. No real picture problems with it at all.

I think so. I tightened it as far as I could. Does the bolt have to be all the way up? I've got like three wrungs that still show but, as I said, I probably couldn't get it further unless I used a wrench or something.

Just one splitter splitting my broadband internet and the Starview box.

I'm using 2.02 and don't see anything wrong with it. I get every channel. Could that really affect the signal? I wouldn't want to upgrade for nothing.

Plug your box in with the direct feed(no splitter)
If that fixes the problem you might have a faulty splitter or the cable running from the splitter.

Gazlong
30th September, 2009, 06:24 PM
Try user setup pal I. Not an expert might help. Menu, user input, modulator PAL-I.

How do the modulator options affect the picture? My default setting was PAL-G. I changed it now to PAL-I. I don't really notice much difference but I'll give it a while for my eyes to adjust.

My problem isn't really noticable straight away but you can see it mainly with lots of movement. It's like the picture goes out of focus a bit when the picture moves then fixes itself when the movement stops. Pretty annoying as a picture can look very good with small movements then turn into a pixel-fest with rapid movements.

smoggy
30th September, 2009, 07:22 PM
the uhf modulator settings PAL 1 etc. are for when you are connected to the TV via the coax cable so will make no difference if you are connected via scart

Gazlong
7th October, 2009, 04:38 AM
Just thought I'd update my situation after the downtime.

I've tried the cable lead in without the splitter and, although the level signal goes up (only to about 69% though), the problem still remains. It's not really a big problem on programs with little or no movement but it pixelates and chops like hell on a lot of action scenes. For example on the new show "Flashforward" it goes super pixelated everytime someone has a "flash". Now surely that isn't normal?

Could it be my SCART lead? Or could it just be a crappy VM signal?

boomer39
7th October, 2009, 10:38 AM
am always suspicious of scarts, try new/different ones. worked for me a few times, especially with dvd player connected.

Gazlong
9th October, 2009, 11:06 AM
I was thinking of trying the 2.03 firmware. But I don't really want to waste my time and maybe lose channels. Can a firmware upgrade fix picture quality/pixelation problems?

DESSERTDOG
9th October, 2009, 02:23 PM
I was thinking of trying the 2.03 firmware. But I don't really want to waste my time and maybe lose channels. Can a firmware upgrade fix picture quality/pixelation problems?
Waist your time mmmmmmmmm it takes minuets m8 but to be honest i cant see how upgrading will help i have run 2.02 and 2.03 i cant find any difference but there must be some lol. if your connected via scart try rgb (phono) it may help.

leighton.s.b
12th October, 2009, 05:58 PM
pixilation shouldnt have anything to do with the scart, its more to do with incoming signal. and the speed at which the digital signal is processed. if you were to unscrew the input cable slighty and move it in and out of the connection, you would find the problem worsen. check that there are no loose earthing braid wires touching the copper core anywhere, this will definately not help.