PDA

View Full Version : bmw help

lotus791
5th October, 2009, 09:19 PM
i have a 2003 320d not starting ...red lights come on no turn over ..starter checks out ok ..( came in for a bust intercooler) get codes 4212,4222,4232,4242..but i think these are cyl codes due to the intercooler ..... have tried spare key still same ......have checked a few other things which come up ok . any ideas ??

cheers

oldford
6th October, 2009, 07:50 AM
The 4 codes refer to the 4 glow plugs you have.
It seems none of them is working. Check fuses and relays.

grezacediagnostics
7th October, 2009, 09:24 PM
The 4 codes refer to the 4 glow plugs you have.
It seems none of them is working. Check fuses and relays.

if it has glow plug fault codes and it doesnt crank have you checked engine earths

smirnoff_rules
7th October, 2009, 09:29 PM
can u turn over by hand ? wonder if one of the bores is full off oil if the cooler went

Meat-Head
7th October, 2009, 09:39 PM
look for a huge round multiplugs under the hood and swing on them with a sixfoot pair of stilstons and 12 foot long scaffold pole.

has anybody stood on the wiring plugs doing the intercooler.

vauigly remember having one that was due to a multiplug being a nts bo**ock loose.

had several pug 206, same shit diffarnt day, ended up on them removing the 'nut' (stick in pocket, don't tell anyone)
just means next time engine out plug drops in your face instead of holding in body

smirnoff_rules
7th October, 2009, 09:47 PM
look for a huge round multiplugs under the hood and swing on them with a sixfoot pair of stilstons and 12 foot long scaffold pole.

has anybody stood on the wiring plugs doing the intercooler.

vauigly remember having one that was due to a multiplug being a nts bo**ock loose.

had several pug 206, same shit diffarnt day, ended up on them removing the 'nut' (stick in pocket, don't tell anyone)
just means next time engine out plug drops in your face instead of holding in body

wot u drinking man lol

lotus791
7th October, 2009, 09:55 PM
lol sounds like my tools since im a HGV fitter .... yea stuck a jump lead across the earth no different ....when i cross the starter out it will spin but not engage so i decide to pull it out ...what a nasty little job ....now that i have the bolts out and the wires of it has anyone any idea how to actually get it out of the housing there isnt enough clearance lol looks like an oil seperator in the way and the bolts fot it are below the inlet manifold ....should be named mission impossible i could have the engine out quicker :afraid:

smirnoff_rules
7th October, 2009, 10:05 PM
dont u have to remove the exhaust and drop starter down ?

Meat-Head
7th October, 2009, 10:08 PM
three things

1) not drinking but i'm going to shop in a mo to get some 'red cola' because it is cheap and smells like brake cleaner (it does)

2) under the circumstances of the job as in assume the customer went from home/work was driving down the street singing "do-wah diddy dum diddy day", when intercooler goes bang? as in possably a man made fault, hence checking round multiplugs are fully home. Or loose starter relay

3) starter *think* if you remove the dipstick tube, *DRAIN OIL FIRST* starter might come out, but remember if the customer says it has dumped it's oil on there nice brick drive, it might have been a good idea to put an 'o' ring on dickstick tube

4) if the starter is going 'wish' you are joinngg the small terminal (50) to b+ (30) and not the brass nuts?

5) NO PROBLEM but if nobody want's my opions just say, i'l happly find other people to insult.

6) if i said 'push off' what would you say, rules out immboliser then

7) no i cant count

8) have had bms where the starter switch 'rounds' off so no crancky crancky, think black/yelloe outta switch, changes color

lotus791
7th October, 2009, 10:16 PM
lol.......no exhaust to play with ......run when someone asks you to fit one ........black wire with forget the colour out of ign switch is giving power on crank ...and yes shorted the smaller 8mm nut terminal on starter onto 12v supply ...the 10mm one has power on crank key position but twinkles nicely when shorted to 12v and does nothing .....o and its an auto so no push

Meat-Head
7th October, 2009, 10:28 PM
lol.......no exhaust to play with ......run when someone asks you to fit one ........black wire with forget the colour out of ign switch is giving power on crank ...and yes shorted the smaller 8mm nut terminal on starter onto 12v supply ...the 10mm one has power on crank key position but twinkles nicely when shorted to 12v and does nothing .....

AHH OOPS

*sounds* like the brushes are fu*ked in the starter

get some dibber to hold it in the cranck position and tw*t it with a big wooden stick, take the customers money and run.

the crackle is the solenoid 'hold in' winding, to 'prove' it is the brushes and not pull in winding of starter get somebody you don't like to hold a bit of wire on the lower stud of starter and other end of wire to the earf, whilst you get office girl to turn the key whilst you and the boss watch as it should be *CLUNCK* fissle, <scream> as the temp wire earths the pull in winding until the wire then gets full batterypower.

shorting the two nuts should make starter go' wish'

if it's an auto tow it to 28mph, jamb it in drive and see what damage it causes!

* HAVE YOU CHECKED BATTERY VOLTAGE IS AT LEAST 12.50 VOLTS*
Try some humper leaders from a smaller engined car eg viva,nova, old mini, old vw beetle, maxi, allergo etc and see if engine note drops and makes the fan belt squel like a pig, indicating the bmw battery is too discharged to run