PDA

View Full Version : BMW E90 Camshaft, intake problem

chafka
15th April, 2017, 09:54 PM
Hi guys, I have problem with my BMW 318i 2006 with the camshaft, intake sensor. Firstly the car was unable to start due to bad started. I replaced the started the the car now it's starting fine. Tried scanning the fault codes and I've run on: 2B62 DME: Camshaft sensor, intake. Position of phase edges or installation position outside tolerance. The SAE diagnostic code is P0341. Ordered new sensor, replaced it, cleared the error but after 2 minutes idling the error comes back. Also when idle the engine rpm are not stable and they drop and increase. Tried googling a little bit and some people say that maybe the timing is wrong or the timing chain had jumped and that is causing the issue. If you faced any issue like this I would be really happy to share it with me. Here is a photo from the diagnostic software.

autoden
16th April, 2017, 09:33 AM
Replace the vanos, the sensor was not wrong.

electromech
16th April, 2017, 09:36 AM
Timing could be wrong .....But i to came across the Cam sprocket being the issue especially after its been disturbed

makysplit
16th April, 2017, 08:32 PM
Timing is good if car starts perfectly. Check the wires in the socket of the sensor.

dert777
16th April, 2017, 10:49 PM
Oil pressure ok ? Oil is in good shape and filter also ?

smirnoff_rules
16th April, 2017, 10:53 PM
sounds like worn chain to me , if it jumped one tooth its would still start
if you tried rocking the car in gear because of starter it may off jumped

chafka
17th April, 2017, 09:24 AM
Oil pressure and filter are also ok. I'm not sure if the chain is jumped because if it is I think there should be another errors not only P0341. The car is starting without any problems. If I remove the sensor and try to start the car will she start? That way I can diagnose again and see if the error description changes to something like no connection to sensor etc and I will know for sure if the sensor connection is good.

makysplit
17th April, 2017, 05:59 PM
Oil pressure and filter are also ok. I'm not sure if the chain is jumped because if it is I think there should be another errors not only P0341. The car is starting without any problems. If I remove the sensor and try to start the car will she start? That way I can diagnose again and see if the error description changes to something like no connection to sensor etc and I will know for sure if the sensor connection is good.
which brand you buy a sensor?

chafka
17th April, 2017, 06:34 PM
The sensor is original BMW. But I guess it's not the sensor. Tried swapping with the outlet and the error is still there. The new sensor doesn't show error on the outlet so I guess it's has nothing to do with it. Also tried disconnecting the cable to the intake sensor and the error is changed to bank 1 circuit malfunction and this means that the connection with the ecu is good. Noticed some oil and dirt in the vanos intake connector but there is no dtc about that. Probably the timing is incorrect because someone bump started the car. I hope it's not hard to reset the timing. Looking forward for any suggestions.

makysplit
17th April, 2017, 06:53 PM
If you own a tool for timinig nothing is difficult! Or search on google or youtube!

chafka
17th April, 2017, 06:54 PM
@makysplit do you think that the dirty vanos connector can be causing this issue? maybe I should swap the inlet with outlet vanos if they are both the same.

electromech
17th April, 2017, 07:08 PM
Do you have the tools?......I wouldnt try this one with the eye....as said before they loving getting Carbon clogged

chafka
17th April, 2017, 07:16 PM
@electromech (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/member.php/108760-electromech) thanks for the effort. I am wondering why there is no error thrown about the vanos. I will buy the timing kit from ebay and try to do the timing if the vanos cleaning doesn't help. I'm concerned about the oil in the connector. Maybe that is causing the issue, but as I said no error thrown about vanos.

makysplit
17th April, 2017, 08:18 PM
@makysplit do you think that the dirty vanos connector can be causing this issue? maybe I should swap the inlet with outlet vanos if they are both the same.

Dirty connectoe is not problem only bad contact or break wire! Dont need swap vanos! While the engine is running how it behaves (work)?

chafka
17th April, 2017, 08:31 PM
There are no strange noises, the engine is running fine. I only can notice the rpm dance. Also this error seems to be only happening when the car is starting, while the car is idling nothing is wrong. The frequency counter is increased every time I start the car. I will definitely try to clean the intake vanos solenoid and the connector inside also.

makysplit
17th April, 2017, 08:36 PM
Do u have inpa or any bmw diagnostic? For check live data? And check all vacuum hoses!

chafka
17th April, 2017, 08:41 PM
I have inpa I will definitely try it tomorrow and let you know.

sherl645
18th April, 2017, 09:50 PM
As others have said, I would check the chain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

chafka
19th April, 2017, 09:49 AM
Found the problem. I've opened the cover and there was a broken piece from the chain guide rail. I wonder if it is possible to replace only that peace, because the chain was in perfect condition.

makysplit
19th April, 2017, 09:13 PM
Found the problem. I've opened the cover and there was a broken piece from the chain guide rail. I wonder if it is possible to replace only that peace, because the chain was in perfect condition.

Good job! The chopper came near the camshaft sensor

sherl645
19th April, 2017, 11:28 PM
Nope, all must be removed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Stelaras
27th April, 2017, 02:09 PM
Does this car have 2 vanos?One for exhaust and one for intake?
if they are the same,try changing their positions.
When you go out to test it,does the car work well?
Does it have the power as before the problem?