PDA

View Full Version : no sound or pic

krazylegz
7th October, 2009, 01:39 PM
i've been offered a PS3 60gb (backward compatibility) from someone at work for ?100 as its faulty, he says it powers up, you can insert and eject discs but theres no picture or sound on tv, is it worth getting this or let it pass?

Raven
7th October, 2009, 08:56 PM
If it really is faulty then it's an obvious pass - ?100 for a non working console's obviously just throwing ?100 down the drain. Especially when working equivalents or even a brand new Slim aren't much more than twice that amount....

But on the other hand, it might be that he's simply forgotten to set his PS3 settings to whatever cable he has available and doesn't know how to do a factory reset on it - in which case it's a steal so long as you don't tell him lol.

Truth is, nobody can tell you mate it's your choice entirely as it's your money and you are taking a risk either way. All we can do is provide you with the advice that you asked for, my advice....consider the problem of the fault, consider the source, consider the most likely scenario and finally, consider your situation regarding money, want and alternatives. Oh and remember that basically either way there's about ?100 at stake lol.

To be honest, and don't go by what I'm about to say, it sounds to me like he forgot to reset his settings and doesn't know how to do a factory reset, because, I had a similar situation - took my PS3 to a mates house for the weekend but so I left my HDMI cable at home because I knew he'd not got an HDTV but I forgot to set my PS3 settings accordingly before I left - I get to my mate's, plug it all in, power on and insert disc fine....all seems fine and normal, except for one thing - you guessed it, no audio and no video - but I remembered to do a factory reset though by holding the power button for 5 - 10 seconds on bootup and I was good to go.

mm009b
7th October, 2009, 09:06 PM
gr8t advise from raven there mate good luck let us know how you get on cheers

krazylegz
7th October, 2009, 09:17 PM
thanks for the info, think i might take the risk if i'm left with a few bob out my wages on friday