PDA

View Full Version : Tyre machine motor

Liteace
7th October, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi All, Ive been given (lucky me) from a school a used twice tyre machine, it?s wired for 380v 3 phase as I only have single phase 230v in my workshop so I want to convert it. Ive taken the motor out and its a 220-380v motor, I have checked to see if it will run on 220v and it does with a condenser, has anyone got or can they draw me a wiring diagram to wire up the motor through a drum switch so the motor will run in forward and reverse

Thanks
Steve

Meat-Head
7th October, 2009, 03:01 PM
feeling of deja-vous

as you have been 'given' it it is worth/best to go to fleabay
type inverter look for a company in nottingham with long opening hours.

i looked into this as for for some ex-mot brake rollers for home.

I ended up selling them and will be using the money to go towards a single phase set (know where there is one)

becareful with the inver that you don't go to slow with the motor rpm, can cause it to overheat, don't go too fast otherwise it will make the motor, go boom, shake the room.

the word on the street is that yes a condeser might 'unbalance' the phase to make it run, but good chance the motor might, burn baby burn.

to make a three phase motor spin backwards you simply swap two of the phases over.

double pole change over switch rings a bell.

or try prising off the wall a 3phase garage door roller contactor box.

can you get a single phase motor to fit, try machinemart (yes i know free advert againts the rules, lol)

OFF topic

what **** put this smily :wink: in your face when typeing replyes is annoying.

Liteace
7th October, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Our 2 post ramp is a single phase and we also had our lathe converted to 220v years ago & thats got reverse so looks like i'll have to see how they done that. Getting an inverter sent from the UK to here will cost more than the tyre machine is worth

Thanks
Steve

Meat-Head
7th October, 2009, 07:20 PM
did not notice you are out of uk, still worth checking checking postage of inverter from uk.

meant to say, if you do obtain one, try your motor on if first, they sometimes don't have the balls to start the motor , as they take 3 times the running currant to start, oh yeah something about, don't keep starting and stopping

you need to research, but you 'can' only start x number of times and then let the motor cool down.

is there a nearby 3-phase suppy you can use.

unconfirmed word on the street is you can use 3phase motor as a generator, but not confirmed, but will be expesive to run

let us know what you end up doing

Liteace
7th October, 2009, 07:30 PM
nearby 3-phase suppy you can use!!!!!!!!! We're lucky we've got 220. We have got a diesel 3 phase genny but dont fancy starting that everytime i want to change a tyre, we just use it for the LARGE welder. I'll just have a look how the ramp & lathe is wired & copy them, ive got 3 or 4 220v motors here, 1 of them must be ok to use on the tyre machine