PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report What Foreign investment in the EPL means to the fans

The Strangler
5th August, 2008, 10:02 AM
Bleacher Report August 03, 2008

For a long time now the money being thrown at our beloved national obsession has caused worry amongst the humble working man.

And I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.

Foreign investment is undoubtedly making the Premier league an exciting league to watch, but we have to look at the long term and
what these non-fans want in return (They are NON-FANS, don't let the club crested "cowboy" boots or the 30,000 free blue & white
scarves fool you).

They look upon your football club as they would any other investment, and want to make as much money as they can out of you-before
the bubble bursts.

The huge amounts each club receives annually from the various Television deals, makes each club a "Cash-cow" ripe for milking, and
once they have there foot in the door it is there's to do with as they wish.

Surely this money should make football cheaper for the loyal fan (who travels to all corners of England every week & arranges there
lives around the ridiculous 12:15, 12:45, 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:15, 19:45 and 20:00 kick-off times), but NO!

Ticket prices still spiral upwards, You may be thinking "So what? I can afford it! If you can't that's your problem."

But is being able to afford it the point?

Without you?THE FAN?the club is nothing. You are the most important person to that club, or at least you should be. How long before
it's pushed further?

How long before your new foreign investor wants to fill a niche market, taking your "local" team 100 miles down the road where there
is no team but a huge population willing to fill your shiny new arena? (Anyone remember Wimbledon FC?)

How long before games kick-off at stupid O'clock because the "huge fantastic Television deal" you have just signed is partly funded
by the far-east and they are sick of watching "There team" at 3am?

How long before game 39 becomes a reality & your team is flying out to Macau or Bangkok in early September to play Chelsea in an
actual Premier League fixture ?

(And don't worry your season ticket is still valid out there you just have to travel a little further than usual because your club
was promised a few pennies more).

Is this all a little far fetched?

Maybe not, this sort of thing has happened in the NFL, NBA & NHL and when you consider that most of the money and influence in our
league (Stan Kroenke, Malcolm Glazer, Randy Lerner, George Gillett & Tom Hicks) comes from across the pond, it cannot be too far
away.

I hope I'm wrong, but one thing is certain,

These new investors want something in return for there money, The cost of "your" seat in "your" ground will go up & up even though
the club makes even more money from television deals.

The huge deal your club signed with the sportswear giant means you will have a new home, away and third choice strip every year &
Kick-off times will get further and further away from the traditional 3 O'clock on a Saturday as we pander to fans across the globe.

I realize that The Premier league is now a global market and our popularity across the globe is a good thing, but what I don't
understand is how the clubs can make more and more money, yet they still want more from us?

We are getting fleeced for our loyalty.