PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your PS3

cockney
12th October, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hi

I have heard today from sony that if you press the eject button whilst turning on via the switch at the back it puts the fans in reverse and cleans the inside of the unit / blows out the dust. When the fans stop turn off and on again to reset.

It only works on 40 gb models .

go to you tube and search ps3 fan test .

DrMachineGunn
12th October, 2009, 07:45 PM
cheers m8 wil be handy to know

brian.farrell
12th October, 2009, 08:03 PM
this sounds like a bad idea, is it really that hard to use a vacume cleaner to clean it. it seems to keep mine running sweet

DrMachineGunn
12th October, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hi

I have heard today from sony that if you press the eject button whilst turning on via the switch at the back it puts the fans in reverse and cleans the inside of the unit / blows out the dust. When the fans stop turn off and on again to reset.

It only works on 40 gb models .

go to you tube and search ps3 fan test .

worked on my 80gb

cockney
13th October, 2009, 09:40 PM
I dont think a vacuum cleaner gets right in side mate this came from sony direct . but you dont have to use this method just passing on info.

It doesn't work on the 120gb models but all the others

Raven
13th October, 2009, 10:32 PM
I've heard this actually damages the PS3, but if you heard it directly from Sony it must be safe, but then again it raises questions too like why is it a feature even if it's undocumented - I wouldn't do it....it also makes you wonder why apparently this cab only be done on certain PS3's. Unless I know it's safe I wouldn't touch it, but you heard it directly from Sony you say ?

cockney
14th October, 2009, 04:59 PM
raven

you do have a point about its not in the documents ? I will ring them again and ask the question and post a reply asap.

Raven
15th October, 2009, 03:07 PM
raven

you do have a point about its not in the documents ? I will ring them again and ask the question and post a reply asap.

I'm just forwarding what I've heard....could be baseless, but it could be true - there's obviously a reason why it's undocumented - perhaps you can only do it so many times before damage occurs I dunno....I've just seen plenty of people crap on the youtube video saying it causes damage but it could be a load of tosh for all I know. Usually is, but I'm not about to chance it lol.

cockney
17th October, 2009, 08:34 AM
Raven

Connected sony and they are singing a differnt tune ?

was told that the original technician wasn't aviable and the only way to clean the station was using the hoover method mate.

its not what you know but who you know sometimes .

Raven
17th October, 2009, 02:37 PM
its not what you know but who you know sometimes .

I know that statement's true of life, but I'm obviously missing the point here in terms of how that statement is prevalent in this particular case....for me personally this solution has far too many question marks rather than straight answers surrounding it hence why I would not touch it and just stick with the safe method of hoover and careful console placement decision to avoid heat and dust build up as best as possible or at least to not make it a lot worse by putting it in a tight enclosure with no air flow for example. Seems to be the best method not to mention the safest.

brian.farrell
19th October, 2009, 12:55 PM
cheers for checking that out, will stick to the hoover just now

Twiggzz
8th November, 2009, 12:22 AM
just tried it on my 40gb and it works...

brian.farrell
14th November, 2009, 06:40 PM
i might try it at some point, my fan is on all the time almost, but then again i do have a warm house even in winter. grand theft auto and command and conquer keeps it on non stop. worried im going to fry the system