PDA

View Full Version : :) how easy is managing a modded wii?

BlueMotion
6th August, 2008, 07:29 PM
:wavey:
Ok so my parents played on the wii at my aunts house and they loved it.
:withstupid:
right then, im a total noob when it comes to wii pirate stuff.

im prefer the ps3 but perhaps i could be converted, lol.

Im planning on buying a wii but only if i can play pirated games, so how do i go about it?
i suppose installing a 'modchip' would be more reliable, than the softmods ive vaguely read about.

if i were to install a wii modchip, what kind of maintenance would it require (i mean stuff like updates)

and after ive set everything up, is it as simple as,
bang in a burnt dvd and away we go.

oh, and i dont care for online play
or should i? ( i dont know how good it is on the wii):s:

wiiman
6th August, 2008, 08:05 PM
:wavey:
Ok so my parents played on the wii at my aunts house and they loved it.
:withstupid:
right then, im a total noob when it comes to wii pirate stuff.

im prefer the ps3 but perhaps i could be converted, lol.

Im planning on buying a wii but only if i can play pirated games, so how do i go about it?
i suppose installing a 'modchip' would be more reliable, than the softmods ive vaguely read about.

if i were to install a wii modchip, what kind of maintenance would it require (i mean stuff like updates)

and after ive set everything up, is it as simple as,
bang in a burnt dvd and away we go.

oh, and i dont care for online play
or should i? ( i dont know how good it is on the wii):s:

you will have to go down the modchip route for now as there is no softmod as yet, it is being worked on but how far away it is is anybody's guess.

You can take any wii firmware updates as yet, and if you get your the right chip you shouldn't need to update it unless nintendo change the disk security again, so just make sure you get a chip that is updatable.

yes it's as simple as chucking a burnt dvd at the wii and away you go.

There is not too much to shout about onlinewise with the wii, mario kart is good but thats about it.

BlueMotion
6th August, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ahh right thanks for the info & quick reply.

so what chip would you reccomend? (so i dont need to make any hardware modifications again, i dont mind updating firmware)

wiiman
6th August, 2008, 08:34 PM
Ahh right thanks for the info & quick reply.

so what chip would you reccomend? (so i dont need to make any hardware modifications again, i dont mind updating firmware)

wasabi, or d2pro if you are getting a new wii, make sure they are d2e complaint versions as d2e drives are filtering into the uk now.

BlueMotion
6th August, 2008, 09:58 PM
ive just looked at the installation guide for both of them modchips, and my mother (a electronics engineer) finds soldering to other surface mounts too risky(well she does not wanna be liable to wasting that money) , anychance of purchasing a premodded one?

wiiman
6th August, 2008, 10:29 PM
ive just looked at the installation guide for both of them modchips, and my mother (a electronics engineer) finds soldering to other surface mounts too risky(well she does not wanna be liable to wasting that money) , anychance of purchasing a premodded one?

I have just sold my last premodded wii, will let you know when i get hold another one if your interested.

ZooLio
6th August, 2008, 10:49 PM
If you aren't into soldering a Wii Clip with a pre-soldered modchip is what you are after.

you need to find out what chipset you have on your Wii's drive to find out what the best mod chip is to buy, before you do anything.

I say that because i have a DMS original chip and i went and bought a D2Sun modchip for no reason as the WiiKey was 67% cheaper and does the job for my Wii :)

start here: Nintendo-Scene Wii Serial Tracker (http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php)

to find out (roughly) what chip you have

wiiman
6th August, 2008, 10:59 PM
If you aren't into soldering a Wii Clip with a pre-soldered modchip is what you are after.

you need to find out what chipset you have on your Wii's drive to find out what the best mod chip is to buy, before you do anything.

I say that because i have a DMS original chip and i went and bought a D2Sun modchip for no reason as the WiiKey was 67% cheaper and does the job for my Wii :)

start here: Nintendo-Scene Wii Serial Tracker (http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php)

to find out (roughly) what chip you have
Just a word of warning clips are rather unreliable though, if you search any wii forums on the net about clips you will find problems galore, i have had to fit chips for quite a few people that have bought clips only for them not to work.

Oggy
7th August, 2008, 09:54 AM
Ive got 3 Pre mods in :)

Brand new with delivery via DHL - ?240

BlueMotion
7th August, 2008, 07:51 PM
Ive got 3 Pre mods in :)

Brand new with delivery via DHL - ?240

Oh god,
if that average price for a modded wii, im afraid my mums gonna have to try modding it.

?210 is highest i can go. :s:

Oh and what on earth is a wii clip???

Dreamer
7th August, 2008, 07:56 PM
the wii on it's own costs about ?180 then you've got postage and then the mod.

ZooLio
7th August, 2008, 08:35 PM
Oh god,
if that average price for a modded wii, im afraid my mums gonna have to try modding it.

?210 is highest i can go. :s:

Oh and what on earth is a wii clip???

you'll not get a modded wii for ?210 mate. lets think about it - ?180 for the wii, ?15 for postage or something. then the cheapest mod is the Wiikey, but chances are that it won't apply given that it will be a D2C, D or even E chipset.

the wii-clip is for those lazy bastards that don't want to solder their mod chip to a wii, like me.

as wiiman says they can be a bit unreliable, playing havoc with your pins and such, but i've fitted about 20 wii clips now and i've only had one defective unit afterwards. i just replaced it with another drive and re-clipped. only lost about ?17.

BlueMotion
7th August, 2008, 08:41 PM
the wii on it's own costs about ?180 then you've got postage and then the mod.

Ahhh yeah, if you think about it like i suppose its not that much.
but ?240 is stretching my wallet :s: ill have to think about it.

does anything ever go wrong with a modded wii, because well i remember the ps2 had laser power problems.

oh and how do nintendo attempt to stop a pirate (by that i mean me and you, not the 'arrrrrrgh' and hook hand type)

ZooLio
7th August, 2008, 11:32 PM
Ahhh yeah, if you think about it like i suppose its not that much.
but ?240 is stretching my wallet :s: ill have to think about it.

does anything ever go wrong with a modded wii, because well i remember the ps2 had laser power problems.

oh and how do nintendo attempt to stop a pirate (by that i mean me and you, not the 'arrrrrrgh' and hook hand type)

depending on the media you burn to, the laser might fvck up. but i've not had a problem in about 1 year.

as for blocking piracy, well, ninty release updates every so often but there's not often a large time-lag before that protection is circumvented by the form of a firmware upgrade for your modchip.

as for things going wrong in general - well, not really, but you can never say never! some drives stop working, some overheat, but this is rare, and par for the course for a modded console - cause it isn't made to be modded!!

Oggy
8th August, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have 2 used ones in stock :)

druid
4th September, 2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Oggy
What sort of price are you selling chipped Wii for?
Many Thanks

Oggy
7th September, 2008, 02:37 PM
I only have brand new units in at ?240 delivered.

rdshp
10th March, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hi guys,

I've had my Wii for a couple of years now and have been having some trouble with loading backup games. Yes, I didn't know at the time that Mario Galaxy and Kart would be a trouble when updating the NTSC update onto my Pal :(

I tried bunch of things, deleting double and hidden channels, downgrading to 3.2e, replacing original IOS's but still half of my games won't work.

Would it help loading the 1.9g or s wiikey update for my argon (one - d2c) chip. Perhaps in combination (or not) with the 1.8 firmware for the argon. Thing with this argon update is that I do not have the Infectus programmer and not sure how to update without it.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

J - South Africa