PDA

View Full Version : Vectra starting prob

Dreamer
6th August, 2008, 09:16 PM
My bro has a Vauxhall Vectra 96 model. It won't start unless he gives it full throttle.

The eng management light is also on all the time.

He thinks it might be ignition coils.

anyone had the same prob or know the fault?

krazylegz
6th August, 2008, 09:25 PM
there is loads of things it can be dreamer, the best thing for him to do would be ake it to a small garage and get them to read the fault codes as there is loads of sensors or other things it could be.

codes can be read from as little ?10 or cheaper if u know the garage owner;)

Dreamer
6th August, 2008, 09:34 PM
Ok thanks I will tell him to stop guessing and put his short arms into his long pockets. He said he was quoted ?40 for a diagnostic. I'll tell him to get on the phone and call round.

cheers m8

krazylegz
6th August, 2008, 09:59 PM
yeah tell him to stop being tight lol.

it could also be cheaper than changing loads of unecessary parts;)

eddiegoldtooth
31st October, 2008, 08:09 PM
i rekkon its the flux capacitor not generating the required amount of jigga watts

shady77
31st October, 2008, 08:13 PM
thats giga-watts actually and the flux capacitor doesnt generate electricity, either plutonium/lightning in BTTF is used to obtain the 1.21 gigawatts or in BTTF 2, rubbish via the mr fusion generator.
hope this helps your brother dreamer lol

thered
31st October, 2008, 08:25 PM
i had a similar problem a few years ago with my p reg vectra twas a lovely car it had everything it was fixed by torching it and collecting the insurance money not the most conventional method but it saved on repairs plus my insurance only increased by ?4 per month

i have a vectra now and every now and again my engine management light comes on and the car goes into emergency controls luckily a guy at work sorts it on his diagnostic machine for nowt something to do with air and the turbo he just re sets it and its fine for another six or seven months

incidently the old vectra was apparantly something to do with the cat converter i didnt keep it long enough to find out in depth though lol

eddiegoldtooth
31st October, 2008, 09:02 PM
thats giga-watts actually and the flux capacitor doesnt generate electricity, either plutonium/lightning in BTTF is used to obtain the 1.21 gigawatts or in BTTF 2, rubbish via the mr fusion generator.
hope this helps your brother dreamer lol
well ill be rogered with a stiff wire brush ! thanks for showing me the path to rightiousness, and may the force be with you !!!

cactikid
31st October, 2008, 11:27 PM
egr valves a problem as in exhaust gas recycler,my neighbour had to buy 5 of them short
lived units for life of car.

drakov
1st November, 2008, 06:54 PM
http://www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akhow2/16pin.jpg
use a paper clip to bridge pins 5 and 6, switch ignition on and count the flash codes, see example below:

10 flashes = 0
4 flashes = 4
10 flashes = 0
10 flashes = 0

result = P0400 EGR fault

each code is seperated by a 2 second pause have a pen and paper handy as there may be a few codes stored.

using a wire connected to pin 6 and other end connected to earth will give same result, my guess is he has a coolant temp sensor fault though:)

hope this helps to http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm