PDA

View Full Version : HDD software for Starview 4 PVR?

urbanwarrior
15th October, 2009, 02:53 PM
Just bought a 500GB HDD for my Starview 4. Just formatted into FAT32 format, able to transfer files on my computer - but the Starview freezes when I connect it. Do I need to load additonal software onto the HDD so that the stariew can see it. If so can anyone help.:banghead:

khenryashley
15th October, 2009, 03:06 PM
Just bought a 500GB HDD for my Starview 4. Just formatted into FAT32 format, able to transfer files on my computer - but the Starview freezes when I connect it. Do I need to load additonal software onto the HDD so that the stariew can see it. If so can anyone help.:banghead:

Make sure your starview is turned off when connecting and disconnecting hard drive

larryoke
15th October, 2009, 03:09 PM
I think 500gb hdd is too big, I read on a forum somewhere that a 350 gb (I think) is the biggest you can use.

urbanwarrior
15th October, 2009, 03:25 PM
thanks for taking the time

urbanwarrior
15th October, 2009, 03:28 PM
thanks
i'll give it a go, larryoke thinnks the drive could be to big = thanks

larryoke
15th October, 2009, 03:30 PM
thanks
i'll give it a go, larryoke thinnks the drive could be to big = thanks
I'll try & find where I read it and pm you details

urbanwarrior
15th October, 2009, 03:37 PM
cheers - I wonder if I can create a partion in the drive and just use one part

larryoke
15th October, 2009, 03:45 PM
cheers - I wonder if I can create a partion in the drive and just use one part
2 posts with conflicting answers both stolen from another forum, may help!!
1) Think 500gb is too large, have seen mentioned on the site that 300gb is the max (someone might need to clarify that!) And once formatted on your STV4 you will not be able to re-connect HDD to your computer and then back to the STV4 again etc as it will ask to reformat and you will lose all saved data. Hope this helps
2) Hello i have been using a SV4 for about 6 month - i have it connected to a External 500gig Maxtor USB HD with seperate power supply and it works great i have converted loads of programs to DVD i use WinAVI vidio converter to convert the ts files to AVI then i convert them to DVD with the same program - i also use AVI MPEG PM WMV spliter to edit the start and the finish and any adverts then i use AVI MPEG PM WMV joiner to join the edited parts together it takes a little practice but after a few goes i managed to get perfect edits - it depends on your PC how long the programs take to convert but with my AMD 5000+ Black Dual core and 4 gig of memory it takes about 30mins for a 1hour prog i hope this helps

urbanwarrior
15th October, 2009, 07:05 PM
HI Larryoke - thanks for the info. I have finally got it to work thanks to you. I reduced the HDD partition down to 120GB first and it worked. I then re did the partition @ 350GB - this did not. I loose about 280GB but it work. Many thanks again - I'll leave a post with the instructions and the software I used. many thanks again.

tal1
15th October, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have been using Maxtor 500gig since I've had my Super USB Box and I record any and everything including Weakest Link, Eggheads &Eastenders with the EPG. eVERY NOW AND THEN i DELETE SOME OF THE stored programs to speed up access time.
It is important to power down every time you put or take out something in the USB slot at the back.
Do not switch off from remote control but use on and off switch at the back.
I hope this helps.

urbanwarrior
15th October, 2009, 07:26 PM
Cheers - I'll give it another go when I have some time - but I have got it to work on 220GB by re fromatted the HDD with a partition. many thanks