PDA

View Full Version : router/ip configuration advise needed

litespeed
15th October, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have a Netgear router which my Virginmedia modem plugs into - From this I have an ethernet cable in LAN port 1 and another in LAN port 2. I have had to hardwire my internet connection to both laptops as the wireless would never work - When it did the connection would drop constantly. I am convinced all my ip configuration is incorrectly setup!Also, with the wired connections I keep receiving a message on laptops stating there is an ip conflict on the system. Is there any way I can sort this out??thanks in advance

Mooley
15th October, 2009, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you have a fixed ip put into your wireless card. You need to change to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically'.

ianmac
15th October, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have a Netgear router which my Virginmedia modem plugs into - From this I have an ethernet cable in LAN port 1 and another in LAN port 2. I have had to hardwire my internet connection to both laptops as the wireless would never work - When it did the connection would drop constantly. I am convinced all my ip configuration is incorrectly setup!Also, with the wired connections I keep receiving a message on laptops stating there is an ip conflict on the system. Is there any way I can sort this out??thanks in advance

you need to setup a home network, to stop the conflict you have to take off the DHCP in each of your computers & and put each of them on a seperate static ip, as every time you turn a computer on it will allocate an automatic ip address, then when you turn on another computer it will also allocate an automatic ip address, but sometimes you get a clash when the same ip address is allocated on both computers, hence the conflict..

have a look here, it will explain how to st up a home network + share files & and printers between all of your pc's

How to setup a simple home network | D-A-L Computer Help (http://www.d-a-l.com/122008/how-to-setup-a-simple-home-network/)

There are other very helpfull sites, you only have to google it..

home network setup - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK348&q=home+network+setup&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB&aq=2&oq=home+net)

Hope it helps
Ian

[jobber]
24th October, 2009, 12:51 AM
You need to set the Netgear as a DHCP server, you can do this during the setup wizard. Remeber it's the trusted/LAN network that you want to issue addresses on.

You also want to change the channel of your wireless. You should then get a solid connection via this.