PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with secure romote pc access over the internet

Dreamer
7th August, 2008, 03:19 PM
I am trying to find a way of remote accessing to friends computer and also the mother-in-laws, so that I can help them out as they are complete newbies to computing.
I found a program called ultraVNC which is open source.
I'm not keen on using logmein or other ones you do via a a webpage. I want to connect directly and securely over the internet. I know there is a remote desktop facility in win xp pro bit this is for comps on a LAN.
I also know there is a prog called PC Anywhere but I can?t afford that and want to keep it all above board.
Has anyone got any experience of using ultraVNC? Specifically I want to know how to securely connect I read somewhere about these progs being dangerous due to leaving ports open. I know you have to use a password to gain access to the other person?s machine when you use ultraVNC. Is this enough to keep it secure?
Please keep any replies as jargon free as possible.

Devilfish
7th August, 2008, 03:50 PM
We use a program called VNC in work and it works fine, I suppose the Ultra version will be just as good.

I used to use a program called NetSupport for controlling my laptop from my desktop and vice versa, not sure if it will work over the internet, you connected using the ip address, sent you a PM anyway. ;)

What about Windows Remote Desktop? Or MSN?

Dreamer
7th August, 2008, 04:12 PM
:beer:Thanks for the information.

When I read up on the windows remote access it said both computers had to be on a LAN.
I looked up netsupport and it says it works over the inernet so that might be just the think I am looking for.
I'm just a bit concerned about using the UltraVNC or VNC as I read that it leaves your ports open to attack. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks again I'm off to do some reading!

mrtell
7th August, 2008, 07:46 PM
I would recommend dameware nt for remote access.
I know that a lot of people use dameware nt for NONE authorised access as well, very easy to use, very powerfull. All you need is the clients "victims lol" IP and administrator password "a lot of people dont set an administrator password so it will be the default password windows set. lots of programs to scan IP blocks for blank passwords. Talking about XP here but i know it works with VISTA.

http://www.dameware.com/news/articles/

bubumt
7th August, 2008, 10:52 PM
Use msn
tell the other user to press REQUEST REMOTE ASSISTANCE

Hejira
8th August, 2008, 12:21 AM
VNC and it's variants are very good and cross platform.

Ports will only be open when the program is running so you can just advise the other end to start the program by clicking say a desktop shortcut when you want access which will reduce any risk.

If a router is being used then some port forwarding will be required and you can also limit the IP addresses of any callers via the router, so if you will only be connecting from one or two locations you can set those as the only IP addresses allowed to be forwarded further reducing any risk.

Remote assistance can be used over the internet I'm sure, not really something I entertain.

I must admit I haven't used VNC for a while I like PC Anywhere, but I always had a very good experience with it even from a pc to a mac!

caveman_nige
8th August, 2008, 09:17 PM
try a prog called logmein mate its free and a piece of piss to use...

LogMeIn: Remote Access and Desktop Control Software for Your Computer (https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=uk)

Dreamer
8th August, 2008, 10:00 PM
try a prog called logmein mate its free and a piece of piss to use...

LogMeIn: Remote Access and Desktop Control Software for Your Computer (https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=uk)

cheers KV I did look at it but I'm not so keen on using it and the way things r going with friends n family I think I might need to install for a number of machines and logmein is has a limit set.

Saltire
9th August, 2008, 06:28 PM
Use msn
tell the other user to press REQUEST REMOTE ASSISTANCE

yea, why dont you do what "bubumt" here quotes above ??

I use msn-windows live messenger all the time to connect to friends and familys computers so that they i can help them, and likewise they can also connect to mines and take fully control too works perfect, so why not use that function mate ?? I know it works on Vista and am pretty much 100% it works on xp too.

caveman_nige
12th August, 2008, 07:50 AM
yea, why dont you do what "bubumt" here quotes above ??

I use msn-windows live messenger all the time to connect to friends and familys computers so that they i can help them, and likewise they can also connect to mines and take fully control too works perfect, so why not use that function mate ?? I know it works on Vista and am pretty much 100% it works on xp too.

Reason i could not use it is because my mum is not techy enough and is not an MSN user. She just needs help when she needs it without fannying about. Also the MS remote assistance does not work so well through her firewall (same at my sisiters house) and i do not want to open up channels in it to make it work. To support a basic user u gotta have a basic but effective support application. There are a few out there but if you wanna support loads start charging them and buy the next level of product. I have ten machines listed in my group that I currently support and I pay nothing to able to do this with logmein.

Horses for courses...

I did fix machine once by getting a user to make video call to me on his mobile phone, he paid for the call and i talked him through fixing his machine.. Beers another day.