PDA

View Full Version : hard drive setup with commando 11.3

ianmac
16th October, 2009, 03:23 PM
Can anyone tell me how to setup an internal hard drive in a dbox2, using the commando 11.3 image.

I am so close to getting right, got the image to format the drive & sort of created a mount, but not sure which is the best file system to use.

Also cannot seem to find the hard drive directory after recording.

Thanx for any help given
Ian

PaphosAL
16th October, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well there's two to choose from- EXT2 or XFS - both supplied with the Add-Ons pack for manual menu install (once you ftp the tarball to /tmp), or can be downloaded and automatically installed (if your dbox is connected to the net properly), via the online menus under the blue button.

Why not try each in turn, then see which one you prefer? Once you have installed either FS, it will appear in the Un-Install Menu if you want to remove it and try the other one. No need for 2 hammers to crack one nut, is there?

Feedback suggests that both EXT2 and XFS each work flawlessly. Amazing. when you consider that neither Renny nor I don't have a HDD equipped dbox to test/dev with, LOL!

Cheers- AL :)

ianmac
16th October, 2009, 07:39 PM
Thank AL

Did'nt expect the help to come from the main man. :beer:
I changed so many settings that I re-flashed & started again, so now hopefully I can get it right without changing settings that did'nt needed to. lol
And maybe someone can use this as a guide to help them...
This is what i've done so far so hopefully you might be able to fill me in next:
1. installed (EXT2) from the add-ons menu,
2. went back & selected the (IDE-HDD menu) that it installed & selected (IDE DRIVER/MOUNT), rebooted Dbox to load the drivers.
3. back into (IDE-HDD MENU) and selected the (HDD initialise) button & selected (EXT2).
The next part is where I get a bit confused as when I go to (HDD-IDE Setup Menu) and select (HDD Patition info), it says: "HDD Partition Sizer, Error: This Mount doesn't exist! (Mount point: /hdd)".
But when I did the (initialise) part before, it said that it was going to "mount data partition /hdd" & "configure HDD parameter". :confused:

Do I have to install anything else from the Add-ons menu, such as the Automount, or do I have to go into network setting & mount a network drive with the directory /hdd, or even go to the recording settings and change the recording device to (direct file).

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Ian

PaphosAL
16th October, 2009, 07:59 PM
Automount is only to do with NFS mounts, sfaik. (I understand that CIFS has this built in). So your second idea looks favourite to me.

Don't worry- someone like LraiZer will be along soon with expert help, as you're doing stuff that I know very little, if anything, about, m8!

ianmac
16th October, 2009, 08:23 PM
Automount is only to do with NFS mounts, sfaik. (I understand that CIFS has this built in). So your second idea looks favourite to me.

Don't worry- someone like LraiZer will be along soon with expert help, as you're doing stuff that I know very little, if anything, about, m8!

Thanks AL

I will have a play with that second option,
I have seen some of Lraizer's posts on here, infact it was LraiZer that posted the (HDD fix) on here for the commando 11 image,

Tried my best to get that fix but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanx again
Ian