PDA

View Full Version : freesat from existing sky hd

petecaswell
17th October, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hi i have just purchased a panosonic tv with in built freesat. i have connected it to my existing sky + hd box and receive their channels. however i would also like to receive the freesat channels. can i connect to my television from my box or dish cable or do i need to install another dish ? thanks in anticipation Pete.

dick b
18th October, 2009, 12:29 PM
I"m guessing a bit as I dont have a sky plus box but I dont think they have a loop through for the lnb.even so you wont need a seperate dish you will just need to replace the lnb for one with more outlets eg;a quad lnb and run a new cable from one of the outlets to the TV.
I"d check 1st that you dont already have a quad lnb as your sky plus box needs 2 outlets.

zigzagsky
18th October, 2009, 09:26 PM
It depends on how long ago the SKY system was installed.

Installations done less than 2 years ago tended to use LNBs with 4 outputs. Two of these outputs go to your SKY+ or SKY HD box leaving 2 spares. As all outputs are independent, you could connect one of these spare outputs to your Panasonic TV and receive the Freesat channels whilst still using the LNB for SKY channels.

Hope this helps

petecaswell
18th October, 2009, 09:45 PM
thanks guys for your answers. before today i didn't even know what a lnb was! however a quick shoot up the ladders & i soon connected a cable to the lnb & into the tv. pressed the set up & all was well. however my tv is wall mounted with the sat cables plastered into the walls so running a new cable now is a bit of a problem. what i really need to know is can i splice into the existing cables?

cactikid
18th October, 2009, 11:21 PM
thanks guys for your answers. before today i didn't even know what a lnb was! however a quick shoot up the ladders & i soon connected a cable to the lnb & into the tv. pressed the set up & all was well. however my tv is wall mounted with the sat cables plastered into the walls so running a new cable now is a bit of a problem. what i really need to know is can i splice into the existing cables?
where did the coaxial cable go to??

dick b
19th October, 2009, 02:07 PM
short answer is no,but you can buy lnb switches that are 2 in and 1 out but you have to manually switch them over.but I wouldnt have thought you had any lnb cables at the TV anyway as the sky box would be connected by an HDMI lead.

the lnb switch would need to be reversed so that you used it as 1 in and 2 out as you want 1 dish to feed 2 sets.