PDA

View Full Version : Finding root password

Richard_IOC
8th August, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I have purchased a dreambox and need its root password to play with the software CAMs (and it is passworded so that I can't :-P), the system does not allow me to install plugins straight from the net despite definite interenet connectivity, and naturally without the root password I can't do ftp.

Currently I am trying to install tuxbox commander from pendrive, but if anyone has a better idea, please help!

Thanks,
Richard

aftermath
8th August, 2008, 07:38 PM
username = root
password = dreambox

Richard_IOC
8th August, 2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have tried that - the guy I bought it from has changed it from the default. Does restoring to factory settings / flashing kill all files on the box, i.e. will software CAMs and associated setting be deleted?

father ted
8th August, 2008, 08:20 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have tried that - the guy I bought it from has changed it from the default. Does restoring to factory settings / flashing kill all files on the box, i.e. will software CAMs and associated setting be deleted?

yep if you reflash it will kill it all

thamon
9th August, 2008, 11:58 PM
I am not sure if you reflash your box it can be destroyed please explain thx

Devilfish
10th August, 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #3 talks about killing files, not the actual box.

tottenhamyid
18th August, 2008, 09:17 PM
Use dreamup to flash ne image, will reset password back to:

user: root

Pass: dreambox

thelegend
20th August, 2008, 09:00 PM
Richard
You can do the password reset from within the dreambox by doing the following:
1- the password is saved within filename called passwd under sub-directory var/etc
2- you have to download a plugin called Tuxbox Commander, here is the full explanation, you must be connected to the internet:
a- go to setup / blue-panel / addons / Download & install / plugins / tuxcom 1.16 "or latest rev"
b- select this plugin & press OK, yes to download, so now the downloaded file is stored under plugins
c- go back to blue-panel / plugins / select the files you just downloaded & press OK
d- scroll down on the left panel to the directory /var, then etc and find file called passwd
e- press 4 to edit this file
f- you will see 4 lines, where the 1st line contains the password and look like this= root:JAx4scY.u7P:0:0::/:/bin/sh
g- now you have to change the characters between the first 2 colons, ie between :xxxx: using the remote control, with the following (case sensitive) characters which is the encryted format of the original password dreambox.
the characters are V26.Uf.kSvoYg
h- the first line should look like this
root:V26.Uf.kSvoYg:0:0::/:/bin/sh
now save the changes and exit all the way, reboot your receiver and then you can login with user name: root
and password: dreambox

NOTE: using this way NO files, images or settings are deleted, while with factory reset you will loose everything.
++++++++++++Enjoy++++++++++++++:listen:

jassy
20th August, 2008, 11:27 PM
Thats cool it works a treat do you know what kind of encryption this is like is it md5 or whatever

beady
21st August, 2008, 12:31 AM
Thats cool it works a treat do you know what kind of encryption this is like is it md5 or whatever
It's the old unix 'crypt' program's salted hash. The 'salt' value is V2, and is supposed to be a random 2 number/letter sequence. Anything could be used for the salt. For instance, the following are all encrypted versions of 'dreambox' as a password, just with different salts.

aaGyIeHs1g3l2
bb0ylH9fJtbEY
ccmihTh3uPajo
11dA/2q3iswZc
22VqLJ7yxmoaQ
33Eiq7UCE.45A

It's cryptographically weak (actually based on the Enigma machine's algorithm) and only supports passwords up to 8 characters, so has been replaced on modern unix machines by md5 or sha hashes for more security.
See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypt_(Unix))

thedragon
24th August, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I have purchased a dreambox and need its root password to play with the software CAMs (and it is passworded so that I can't :-P), the system does not allow me to install plugins straight from the net despite definite interenet connectivity, and naturally without the root password I can't do ftp.

Currently I am trying to install tuxbox commander from pendrive, but if anyone has a better idea, please help!

Thanks,
Richard

Hello,

Did you manage to solve the issue?
I too have the same problem. The password for root has been changed.
I'm also unable to install the tuxbox commander plugin vid download addons. When the addon is downloaded and installation is in progress it generates the following error: "Error: install not successful!".
But you think one could install it via a pendrive instead?

satfoot
29th August, 2008, 09:13 AM
On a DM500, you normally get that message because there is not enough space in your var directory. So, if you have DM500, to install, first delete something else from var, install tuxcom, renew your password as suggested above and when ready, remove tuxcom and re-install what you had previously. You cannot use the pendrive on a DM500 because it does not have a USB slot. Cheers.

jfk2009
13th June, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Richard
root password"dreambox"

agrima
2nd January, 2011, 09:49 AM
Hi and a happy 2011 to all.
Does anyone know how I can change the root password? I know the present password and have full access to the box, but from where can I change it?

GastonJ
2nd January, 2011, 11:38 AM
Should be able to login with telnet and type

passwd

shahbana
31st March, 2011, 07:53 AM
please email me for info..
( no adds to be posted )

agrima
1st April, 2011, 08:51 AM
From tuxcommander, passwd shows the hex for the passowrd entered. Anybody knows how to convert the hex into a legible "password"

fadihad
19th February, 2012, 04:24 AM
Hi
For all those who cannot install tuxbox commander plugin and need to reset the root password, below what I did to do this:
1) create a share folder in your PC and mount using your remote to /media/var
2) change the location of the local /var to the newly mounted folder
3) thats it the box will reboot and all the /var folder will be copied to your PC.
4) Now you can browse to the /var/etc folder and edit the passwd file.

good luck

mtv1
19th February, 2012, 04:30 AM
Hi
For all those who cannot install tuxbox commander plugin and need to reset the root password, below what I did to do this:
1) create a share folder in your PC and mount using your remote to /media/var
2) change the location of the local /var to the newly mounted folder
3) thats it the box will reboot and all the /var folder will be copied to your PC.
4) Now you can browse to the /var/etc folder and edit the passwd file.

good luck

:hmmmm: great first post welcome to DK i think ;)

f22n22
10th March, 2012, 03:59 AM
:hmmmm: great first post welcome to DK i think ;)

Can somebody tell me how to decrypt a dreambox password?
I have the password from the Tuxcom but i want the real!!
Does anybody knows a way to do it?

jonnyboy123
12th October, 2014, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I installed Commando yesterday via a null modem cable and it was super easy! Although there was another file called 'lipcrypto' that I am not sure what to do with.

Anyway, the installation looks really good but for some reason I am now unable to access the Dreambox via Enigma TV on my PC. I have checked the ip address and password but still get no joy.

What is really odd is that I can however access the deambox in Firefox (without a password as well - user name only)

I have therefore want to make sure that I can input the correct password and have pasted the contents of the above file below:

root::0:0::/:/bin/sh
sshd:*:65532:65534::/:/bin/false
ftp:*:65533:65534::/:/bin/false
nobody:*:65534:65534::/:/bin/false

Can someone please check and let me know what the password should read?

Regards John.