PDA

View Full Version : engine noise

wilf
18th October, 2009, 05:39 AM
i have just purchased a 2005 vauhall astra estate 1.7 cdti 40,000 on clock, i have noticed that when cold the engine is quite noisy like the tappets need resetting, this goes away after a couple of mins when warmer, i have also noticed that there is a noise like three or 4 taps when i take my foot off the excelerator pedal to change gear. I have rung the garage and he says these noises are normal of these types of engine, the first being its till the oil pressure builds up and the second is its diesel knock. does amyone work on this engine type that could agree with him or is he pulling a fast one and should i ask for further investigation whilst under his waranty. i already have a 2002 1.7dti version with 300,000 miles on that is much quieter than this one

lotus791
18th October, 2009, 08:08 AM
tappets are manual in that engine i think ,if they are set right you shouldnt really hear them over the diesel knock ....id ask for them to be checked and set it doesnt take long to do . as they are manual, oil pressure would be a b/s answer ..........as for the other noise if your other one aint doing it , it must not be right .......

Meat-Head
18th October, 2009, 08:11 AM
questions like did the last owner run it on, red diesel, chipfat, vodka diesel etv.

worth plugging in computer & some errector cleaner.

wilf
18th October, 2009, 03:58 PM
thanx guys for replies i think i will call him and ask for it to be investigated further, in the mean time i will run some injector cleaner through as i have to do 200 mile round trip tomorrow that should push out any rubbish

cactikid
18th October, 2009, 05:42 PM
curious what grade of oil was used in engine ,is that model to run on 5w 30 oil? bit late now.

wilf
18th October, 2009, 07:29 PM
not too late mate i also was wondering this, i wondered if garages prob buy their oil in big drums of universal oil so the real thing may well be the way to go for noise reduction, ill check on the oil that should be in and do oil change and dont spose ill ever know what was in it. the car runs like a dream its just a couple of niggly things that need ironing out, it just dont sound like my other one and has done less than a quarter the miles lol

mm009b
18th October, 2009, 07:47 PM
hi wilf
this noise is common its not tappets its hydraulic lifters i had frontera, omega and a carlton they all had same noise
they say you must start engine and let it heatup before you drive but i agree mate its anoying get a pressure test done mate good luck

wilf
20th October, 2009, 12:14 PM
i did fill up a tank full of ultimum diesel (Totals top of the range fuel) and diesel redex fuel system cleaner through and to be honest i did notice the engine noise was reduced by prob 50%. As i had booked it in at garage anyway i still took it to be looked at, i have just collected it and he said that there was a fracture on an injector, it sounds like it should for now but lets see in the morning when its cold lol