PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus - Petrol Tank Sensor Repair

ManofScience
19th October, 2009, 03:34 PM
In January this year my Ford Focus Estate 1.8 Zetec (Y reg, 2001 not facelift model) got rear-ended while parked outside the house. Got it to be repaired at the Ford Dealership fine no problems. However, when i got it back the petrol guage wasn't showing the correct amount of fuel in the tank. then over the next few days/weeks it would give random readings. Evenutally it stopped altogether. So, took it back to the dealership who said "they're known for going faulty and it wasn't the fault of the crash" My point was it was working fine before the accident and now it wasn't. They said they'd have to spend time and money dismantling it then if it was not the accidents fault - i'd have to pay for it. The other thing he said was the petrol tank was under the passenger seat. so, i gave in. i know little about cars and didn't want to look a fool.

Anyway, i did the 'dashboard test' to test it wasn't the dials (holding trip button while turning key) and the fuel guage itself on the dash seems to work perfectly fine. could even scroll on the lcd to display the fuel level in digits. zero. Having a quick google around, looks like it's the whole fuel sending unit that needs replacing

So,

1) is the petrol tank where he said it is?
2) is replacing the fuel sending unit something a keen ameuter can do?

Meat-Head
19th October, 2009, 10:57 PM
1) is the petrol tank where he said it is?
2) is replacing the fuel sending unit something a keen ameuter can do?

1) yes fuel tank unde rear seat area

2) in you are really sesprate then yes, but bear in mind
that give or take one litre weights 1kg of liquid
if 'full' tank will be too heavy

seem to think 2 gallons of fuel, on your back on axel
stands to plenty to play with!

fordman
31st October, 2009, 12:23 AM
Yes give it a go . As already said make sure tank is as empty as possible .Take of inlet or breather pipe and syphon out fuel if required .Take exhaust of rubbers drop it if required remove heatshields. Be careful with connectors can be brittle and break easy.Turn sender cap to open note installation arrows. Remove pump and sender complete .Sender card can be got seperate do not replace pump

Meat-Head
31st October, 2009, 10:46 AM
did have a vauxhall ****era in once same thing, sender had 'fliped up' and went crack

how much fuel was in it on impact?

Liteace
2nd November, 2009, 10:00 PM
I have had a couple Focus dislodge the fuel tank unit going over a real bumpy road, the slightest little knock to the bottom of the tank will dislodge it. They have got like a bayonet fitting to the tank, pain in the arse and yes you do have to take the tank out

cactikid
2nd November, 2009, 11:01 PM
ok then to all joy riders do not rob this car rough riding knock petrol pump out of place:giveup::bike::ahhhhh:lol

Meat-Head
3rd November, 2009, 02:59 PM
ok then to all joy riders do not rob this car rough riding knock petrol pump out of place:giveup::bike::ahhhhh:lol

that includes Rover 75.

So a focus or rover 75 is NOT suitable for zipping up and down Coranation Street, looking for Tracy Barlow :date::love:

Liteace
3rd November, 2009, 03:02 PM
that includes Rover 75.

So a focus or rover 75 is NOT suitable for zipping up and down Coranation Street, looking for Tracy Barlow :date::love:

well after that statement it must mean you are a big corrie fan, I would never admit to that on a public forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meat-Head
3rd November, 2009, 07:30 PM
well after that statement it must mean you are a big corrie fan, I would never admit to that on a public forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh no, only watcheted it whilst Tracy Barlow was in it, then once she 'left'
not seen it since.

The signed photograph of her (ebay - frame 75p from Tesco) besides my
bed, is now facing the way since i discovered the actress Kate Ford
(used to be kateford.co.uk but that's gone) got married and now has a
dustbin lid.

There is about 3 fan clubs for her on yahoo.groups (yes i'm a member).

Kate Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Ford)

Any way what was up with the original posters houcus-pocus?

ManofScience
4th June, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yes give it a go . As already said make sure tank is as empty as possible .Take of inlet or breather pipe and syphon out fuel if required .Take exhaust of rubbers drop it if required remove heatshields. Be careful with connectors can be brittle and break easy.Turn sender cap to open note installation arrows. Remove pump and sender complete .Sender card can be got seperate do not replace pump

Cheers - it's given me the confidence to have a go.

did have a vauxhall ****era in once same thing, sender had 'fliped up' and went crack

how much fuel was in it on impact?

Not sure, maybe half full

I have had a couple Focus dislodge the fuel tank unit going over a real bumpy road, the slightest little knock to the bottom of the tank will dislodge it. They have got like a bayonet fitting to the tank, pain in the arse and yes you do have to take the tank out

Cheers - sounds like i know what i have to do.

found a pretty good guide with photos here : How-To: Replace the Fuel Pump (56k death) - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet (http://forums.focaljet.com/svt-headquarters/576116-how-replace-fuel-pump-56k-death.html) , so i've got 2 sets of axl stands and a decent trolley jack so i'm going to have a go

What part is it that i need - the sender card? got any links?

edit : sorry for late replies, i've ignored it for months guessing MPG!

ManofScience
4th June, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hmm.. scrub that - found a few on ebay 2nd hand - pump and sender - can you get the sender seperately brand new?

Meat-Head
4th June, 2010, 06:36 PM
HOW LONG YOU HAD NO FUEL GAUGE!!!!!!?????

fordman
4th June, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hmm.. scrub that - found a few on ebay 2nd hand - pump and sender - can you get the sender seperately brand new?

Yes you should be able to get the fuel card seperatly from your local friendly Ford main dealer. If you need anymore advice on fitting it let me know.

ManofScience
5th June, 2010, 04:19 PM
HOW LONG YOU HAD NO FUEL GAUGE!!!!!!?????#

ahem...ermm... jan 09? we're good at estimating MPG!!!