PDA

View Full Version : i'm thick........how hard is it?

krazylegz
10th August, 2008, 08:18 PM
we want to get the kids a wii for christmas but i want it chipped as i begrudge paying for games lol.

how hard are they to mod/chip and is there a certain drive/,odel to stay clear of?

the only thing i've modded so far in games wise is the psp, 360 was already done so needs to be quite easy for me to do lol.

cheers

father ted
10th August, 2008, 08:34 PM
we want to get the kids a wii for christmas but i want it chipped as i begrudge paying for games lol.

how hard are they to mod/chip and is there a certain drive/,odel to stay clear of?

the only thing i've modded so far in games wise is the psp, 360 was already done so needs to be quite easy for me to do lol.

cheers

it just depends how good you are with a solder iron,you can buy solderless chips now,to get inside them all you need is a tri-wing screwdriver and there`s a good write up on how to do it ,it will all depend on the leh number (serial)wiiman is full of useful information on these things as a few others:thrasher:

krazylegz
11th August, 2008, 06:43 PM
thanks ted........i'd rather a solderless if possible as i'm not too good with a soldering iron;)

ZooLio
13th August, 2008, 08:40 PM
there's actually some good chat on the topic in here dude:

:) how easy is managing a modded wii? (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6070)

check it out.

after opening up, if you are not adept at soldering, then the wii-clip solution might be the way to go.

easy guide is:

1) check serial number on bottom to give an indication of the chip set
2) buy a chip that will cater for your chipset (+ presoldered to a clip if you can't/son't solder)
3) open wii and clip on chip
4) stick it back together
5) download a game and burn it with imgburn or nero (if you must)
6) that's it :p

eurovox123
3rd December, 2008, 10:47 PM
Didn';t know you could mod a wii

mistermofo
3rd December, 2008, 11:39 PM

cheers

get a wii mod chip with a pre-soldered clip when you get your chip order a tri wing screw driver as well

will take you 15 minutes to do the job and thats if you're dozy

look on youtube for help to open the wii plonk chip on and your sorted

if you get a d2sun v3 chip and clip you wont really need to know the serial number of the wii as it works with all current drive up to the newest D2E (unhackable drive chip) LOL. i have dont about 15 in the last month or so and havent had any issues

the main issue you might have is with firmware 3.3 and above as you cant play back up taht have been signed by truncha but there are simple fixes on the net

if you have already done PSP firmware then you should be bale to find the info you need

BigMall
4th December, 2008, 08:32 AM
You could also softmod it, saves you even having to open it then, i've done about 6 of these for friends/family all with great success.

Doomed
4th December, 2008, 12:22 PM
if you get a d2sun v3 chip and clip you wont really need to know the serial number of the wii as it works with all current drive up to the newest D2E

Still need to check to see if its got that black gunk on it ;)

dctyper
4th December, 2008, 12:35 PM
you dont need to chip a wii, get a memory card in it and search on youtube. You can put software on it so it plays coppied games. You need to buy zelda though

mistermofo
4th December, 2008, 06:52 PM
Still need to check to see if its got that black gunk on it ;)

black Gunk ?? thats new to me as even cut pins are not a problem works just fine

Doomed
4th December, 2008, 11:51 PM
black Gunk ?? thats new to me as even cut pins are not a problem works just fine

The latest D2E boards have black resin around the chip.

mistermofo
6th December, 2008, 06:44 AM
The latest D2E boards have black resin around the chip.

i looked into it and you right what a bummer for the home modders
only problem is i cant see it being too much of a problem for the pro modders out there

looks like the Wii clip will be dead soon

any how i found service who can sort it albeit ata cost

wii-repairs.com

i bought stuff of these guys and they are ok even offer discount for multiple purchases

dell_xps
6th December, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm led to believe a heat gun and a sharp knife can take off the black resin glue m8, if you google it you'll see a video showing you how to do it.
I've also heard that oven cleaner is meant to take it off also, but I'd do a bit more research on that.
If you have a Wii purchased after October I think it is I'm sure they all have the black resin glue around the chip now, best bet is to get it hard wired m8.
:pepsi:

mistermofo
8th December, 2008, 04:41 AM
a heat gun or plastic welder will make the epoxy resin pliable to remove to get at pins for a hard wire install but for solderless clips have to fit flush so removal of the resin must be 100%
i 've already seen lots of vids on this being done on the xbox but the resin on the wii seems to be a lot harder to remove.

oven cleaner may work but would you really wanna chuck oven cleaner on a brand new Wii circuit board?