PDA

View Full Version : Ecu thermal paste

teerak2uk
20th November, 2017, 05:30 PM
Just wondered what people are using in this area once an ecu has been opened

Regardshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/fa5aeb49d3bc965584e10048007b736f.jpg

narkeleptk
21st November, 2017, 03:33 AM
Most prob dont use anything.

autoSP
21st November, 2017, 11:38 AM
nothing :D:D but we should!

GolfmkI
21st November, 2017, 11:43 AM
Both are rigth

Almost nobody do nothing but we should use new thermal paste and remove original.

Any other info will be great .

Ive never used because I really dont Know exact paste to buy.

To be honest seems very difficult to remove old paste....

Interesting topic...

heteromies
30th January, 2019, 10:19 PM
Need to know what paste should use and how remove old paste? Maybe with "alcohol"?

carmageddon
31st January, 2019, 07:46 AM
you dont need nothing : no removing old paste and no new paste...from 1998 i have never used anything for ecu's

TuningInside83
31st January, 2019, 08:22 AM
I too have never used anything because it is difficult to remove it

narkeleptk
3rd February, 2019, 03:58 AM
I too have never used anything because it is difficult to remove it

the thermal adhesive in the photo is the easiest of them all to remove. all you need is a flat square shaped razor and it peels off cleanly.

I been using this stuff recently. "Halnziye HY400 100G tub" Its a grease and not a adhesive type so its a little easier for rework if needed. Seems to do a good job so far.

Its good idea to use something when you can. I have seen many voltage regulators go bad from overheating and it has always been from refurbished units where the pcb had been removed or from where case was cut away.

carmageddon
3rd February, 2019, 09:01 AM
the thermal adhesive in the photo is the easiest of them all to remove. all you need is a flat square shaped razor and it peels off cleanly.

I been using this stuff recently. "Halnziye HY400 100G tub" Its a grease and not a adhesive type so its a little easier for rework if needed. Seems to do a good job so far.

Its good idea to use something when you can. I have seen many voltage regulators go bad from overheating and it has always been from refurbished units where the pcb had been removed or from where case was cut away.

i have never used anything and none had problems after opening...i think that the problem are created from who dont know how to open one ecu.

narkeleptk
3rd February, 2019, 02:45 PM
i have never used anything and none had problems after opening...i think that the problem are created from who dont know how to open one ecu.

I think you miss understand what I mean. it maybe many years before any issues show up if any even turn up at all. You would be long gone and car may even have different owners. To them it will just be another issue with car.

Simply saying overheating of some componenets is a thing and prolonged overheating will resault in premature failures.

carmageddon
3rd February, 2019, 08:19 PM
i understand perfectly what you wrote...i say only that is not important replace paste if you dont remove it, when you close the cover, at the end of job, the thermal paste do his job without problem