PDA

View Full Version : alfa 156 juming out of gear

krazylegz
28th October, 2009, 04:21 PM
i've been offered a alfa 156 and i'm very very tempted, they might not be the most reliable cars but they look great, and i just want it so i can say i've owned a alfa lol.

however the one i'm after looks great but he says occaisionaly it jumps out of gear, is there a common problem that it could be on these, like the linkage, or just need a oil change or maybes clutch...or worse still a ~~~~ed gearbox?

alfagt
28th October, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hi m8,

If any car is jumping out of gear usually 2nd or 3rd it means that the gearbox is showing sign's of wear & tear & the gear box would need an overhaul.
The 156 tended to be driven hard,
The front suspension, a multi link set up tends to wear out regularly, also the valve timing variator goes noisy.

Great looking car but it hard to get a good one.

Regards.

krazylegz
28th October, 2009, 04:50 PM
thanks mate its a selespeed, so no doubt the gearbox for one of those will be more expensive

alfagt
28th October, 2009, 05:21 PM
The selespeed system uses the same manual gearbox,just does away with the clutch pedal. It broke many hearts when it came out first including alfa/fiat. Some cars were thrown back to the dealers.
Best advice , stay away from this one.
I think they sorted the issue but the bad press hurt them.

Meat-Head
28th October, 2009, 10:47 PM
The selespeed system uses the same manual gearbox,just does away with the clutch pedal. It broke many hearts when it came out first including alfa/fiat. Some cars were thrown back to the dealers.
Best advice , stay away from this one.
I think they sorted the issue but the bad press hurt them.

ooh, shittyspeed, if it's anymore than ?1 don't buy it.

if you can testdrive it and take it to a garage for 'a plug in'
might be slightly worth looking at, could be something daft like
bolt loose, or needs a reset.

but, once you have had your fun get rid QUICK

armpower
29th October, 2009, 07:56 AM
The selespeed gearbox is a standar gearbox reinforced and adapted to mount an electrohydraulic.
So open a unti like this is not so much complex.
I've rebuilt a gearbox of 156 selespeed with 200000Km.
The point of high wear are forks and syncro.
After a gearbox rebuilt or clutch replacement you have to relearn the basic setting in the gearbox ecu, with suitable diagnotic tool.
Hope this help.