PDA

View Full Version : Help needed.

Numbskull
13th August, 2008, 09:16 PM
I recently bought a eurovox 5000. And I do have cable fitted. There is no problem from the vbox, my problem is when I scan for channels using the eurovox, it is not picking up any channels. I have taken this box to my daughters who has cable, and the channels loaded no problem. When I tried it here, I got the message "No or bad signal". I then took it to a friends house who only has cable braodband it worked perfectly on his set, using the channels loaded at my daughters. I have tried all 3 setting given in the setup book, resetting to factory default between each attempt. As my Samsung vbox is working without problem and my braodband is working well. does anybody have any idea as to what is wrong.

clit-eastwood
13th August, 2008, 09:58 PM
Have you tried connecting the cable straight from the ex5000 to the iso? (the white box on the wall, usually behind your tv). undo the cable that goes to the splitter, and try connecting just the vbox on its own.
Its possible you have a weak signal, caused by dodgy splitter or cable or connector, and even though your vm box works, some boxes can be temperamental with a low signal.

Numbskull
13th August, 2008, 10:31 PM
Have you tried connecting the cable straight from the ex5000 to the iso? (the white box on the wall, usually behind your tv). undo the cable that goes to the splitter, and try connecting just the vbox on its own.
Its possible you have a weak signal, caused by dodgy splitter or cable or connector, and even though your vm box works, some boxes can be temperamental with a low signal.

Hi CE and thanks for the reply. I have tried conming straight from the
outside box, with the same result.
Do you think a signal booster would cure the problem. Is this a known problem regarding weak signals with the eurovox?

clit-eastwood
13th August, 2008, 10:37 PM
As far as im aware, the eurovox dont have problems with signal. You really do have a strange problem, and i just thought it would be worth a try for you to connect straight to the iso, obviously thats not the problem then...
It makes it more strange that it works at your daughters and mates. Have you tried using different cables to connect the box at your house?
I will make a few calls tomorrow, and get back to you, hopefully with a cure.

Personaly i cant see a signal booster working, but anything is worth a try.

Sceptic
14th August, 2008, 10:17 AM
Sorry to state the obvious but are you sure you have a live cable entering the house?
If you don't have any cable services then its likely that the cable has no signal unless you live in one of the few areas where the cable company supply terrestrial TV to the area.

Just re read your first post and see that you do have a live signal.

The only time ive had it say "no or weak signal" is when i've hade the feed running through my skybox before the eurovox.

Numbskull
14th August, 2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry to state the obvious but are you sure you have a live cable entering the house?
If you don't have any cable services then its likely that the cable has no signal unless you live in one of the few areas where the cable company supply terrestrial TV to the area.

Just re read your first post and see that you do have a live signal.

The only time ive had it say "no or weak signal" is when i've hade the feed running through my skybox before the eurovox.
Yes you are right I do have a live feed. This is getting annoying now.
TV works fine through the Vbox, but doesn't want to know through the Eurovox. The signal is strong enough for the Samsung Vbox, but not strong enough for the Eurovox. Any help on this would be most appreciated.

clit-eastwood
15th August, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hi m8, any luck yet?
I just had a thought, sometimes the signal can be too stong and you need to put an attenuator on the end of the cable before it screws onto the box/modem. They come in something like 3db 6db or 10db. Believe it or not a signal too strong can be as bad as a weak signal, but without a swires meter to check signal strength it wont be possible to check. But if you can get some attenuators then it might be worth a try ok?

satsmo
15th August, 2008, 05:09 PM
Check you signal level/quality on each TP in menu, installation, user installation.

clit-eastwood
15th August, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thats one way of checking signal level, i think at the moment it should not be above +3db and not below -6db. (it used to be ok down to -12db). Ideally it would be at 0db, but it will work from -6 to +3db

satsmo
15th August, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thats OK if you have a meter, the Eurovox tuner is the only way the OP has of monitoring his signal levels. A signal level below 75% is too low and above 90% is to high, ( a 9Db attenuator is required if that is the case).

clit-eastwood
15th August, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thats useful info satsmo, i dont know much about the eurovox's i just used to work with telewest boxes. But im sure your info will be of use to many.

satsmo
15th August, 2008, 05:32 PM
Knew you were an ex installer think there are quite a few around here. The more the merrier. Cheers mate got to fly.

Numbskull
16th August, 2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the help lads, I will certainly look at these ideas. I did upload some new software, this has enabled me to drag in 239 channels. But I am still getting no or bad signal. I have had a picture that lasted about 5 secs, but no sound.
Things are slowly getting better, but not quite there yet.

<--Numbskull added 128 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...-->

Clit-Eastwood. I have just ordered a 9Db attenuator, thinking about it you might well be right, as the levels and quality bars do sometimes go over 95. I will keep you informed.
Thank you and satsmo for the help.

clit-eastwood
16th August, 2008, 10:11 PM
you might get better results if you got 3 lots of 3db attenuators, and you could add 1 at a time, screw 1 on and see if it improves, then if needed add another, and if needed have all 3 screwed together giving 9db. it might work with 3, 6, or 9 db, if you see what i mean, but good luck anyway, im sure you will get there.

ranger
16th August, 2008, 11:14 PM
hello numbskull, you say that you have done factory reset" each time, i think that you , have changed the symbol rate , from 6887 to 6925, or the other way around , go to main menu, ( installation) down to (user installation)ok that" pin number is oooo or your one"new window opens up, press the yellow button on your remote, , new window opens up! now see 100mzh flashing, and under that is 870mzh, thats the band, under 870 is the symbol rate , if its reading 6887, change it to 6925, or the other way around, and then press (OK) to scann, if the channell list comes up on the side, you have the right symbol rate, if not start again useing the other number, give that a try " mick

Numbskull
17th August, 2008, 11:31 AM
hello numbskull, you say that you have done factory reset" each time, i think that you , have changed the symbol rate , from 6887 to 6925, or the other way around , go to main menu, ( installation) down to (user installation)ok that" pin number is oooo or your one"new window opens up, press the yellow button on your remote, , new window opens up! now see 100mzh flashing, and under that is 870mzh, thats the band, under 870 is the symbol rate , if its reading 6887, change it to 6925, or the other way around, and then press (OK) to scann, if the channell list comes up on the side, you have the right symbol rate, if not start again useing the other number, give that a try " mick
Hi Mick.
I have done that, the only symbol rate I can get channels on is 6.952.
I have well over 200 channels stored. The level/quality on the channels is good between 75/98. but still getting BAD OR NO SIGNAL. I don't think it's a case of no signal, more of a bad signal for the box.

ranger
17th August, 2008, 06:28 PM
do you have the providers cable pluged into (rf in) and not into (ant). try takeing out the scart , and useing another cable from (ant) TO TV, put the providers cable into rf in, and another cable from (ant to tv) dont use the scart, see if there is any change ,, mick

Numbskull
17th August, 2008, 08:37 PM
do you have the providers cable pluged into (rf in) and not into (ant). try takeing out the scart , and useing another cable from (ant) TO TV, put the providers cable into rf in, and another cable from (ant to tv) dont use the scart, see if there is any change ,, mick

This could be difficult I have my TV wall mounted, with all the cables out of view or sunken in the wall. I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can manage it.
Thanks for the tip Mick.

Numbskull
19th August, 2008, 07:19 PM
Quick update. I bought a variable attenuator, tried it through the full range. No difference Still getting NO OR BAD SIGNAL. I have been trawling the Internet for someone with the same problem, I did find one post, on a different forum, they suggested that he had no signal at all. But in my case I know I'm getting a signal, as my vbox and BB work well. ANYBODY HELP
:banghead:

ranger
19th August, 2008, 10:52 PM
mick here again , did you say that box was working at a friends home? can you get his one and try it at your home, and see if it will work? you might have to reflash that box , or swap it for his one,

Numbskull
20th August, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Again Mick. At the moment he is on Holiday. We have decided to try this when he gets back. He is more clued up than me, also he is a member of this forum.
Thanks for your help Mick.

Numbskull
22nd August, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi all
Update. I have taken the box next door to try it on her system,
I used the channels that I scanned in at home. Plugged in turned on, no problems worked perfectly, I am now beginning to think that it has got to be connection problems. But this has me baffled as I have tried it on my Sky scart and my DVD scart neither worked, with the eurovox, but both work for DVD and Sky. Anybody with any suggestions.

ranger
25th August, 2008, 05:40 PM
it has to be your provider cable thats comming in to your home, that is giveing the problem , you should check the lead see if its damaged, , dont use the scarts for the eurovoxm, just use normal cable , into the tv from the box, see how you get on.

Numbskull
26th August, 2008, 09:25 AM
it has to be your provider cable thats comming in to your home, that is giveing the problem , you should check the lead see if its damaged, , dont use the scarts for the eurovoxm, just use normal cable , into the tv from the box, see how you get on.

Hi Mick
Just about sorted now. It was a faulty, or it was a scart lead that was to long.
Tried it on the other TV with a short scart, and it worked perfectly.
Thanks for your help Mick.

BigBalloon
26th August, 2008, 06:39 PM
Glad your sorted out numbskull ..... im back of my hols now :flybye:

Numbskull
5th September, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Andy.
In the end it turned out it was the TV that would not support the box.
Have a word with Jane, swapped televisions with her. Everything working well now.

jh1
11th September, 2008, 08:02 PM
my signal is only howing 8% does anyone know how to mprove this?

aftermath
11th September, 2008, 08:36 PM
@ jh1
might either have a bad feed connection.
or your on a few splitters , hence losing signal.
or you need a signal booster.

my bet would be a loose connection, make sure all your leard are right in, then try a direct feed from box to outside , without any subbed box e.t.c

.: JaCkPoT :.
11th September, 2008, 11:37 PM
Make sure your coax cable ends are done correctly ie. The copper braids not touching the main coax. Why not unscrew the case off the white box to check that there has been no physical disconnection.

leeny
12th September, 2008, 10:09 PM
I recently bought a eurovox 5000. And I do have cable fitted. There is no problem from the vbox, my problem is when I scan for channels using the eurovox, it is not picking up any channels. I have taken this box to my daughters who has cable, and the channels loaded no problem. When I tried it here, I got the message "No or bad signal". I then took it to a friends house who only has cable braodband it worked perfectly on his set, using the channels loaded at my daughters. I have tried all 3 setting given in the setup book, resetting to factory default between each attempt. As my Samsung vbox is working without problem and my braodband is working well. does anybody have any idea as to what is wrong.

make sure the cable from the wall to the box ( is ) the best you can get,
not cheep if it is thin or poor quality that will stop the signal