PDA

View Full Version : Is a harddrive needed for the DM800HD?

hideous.ape
28th October, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi all,

I've been a DM500C user up until N3 appeared in Ireland so switching to satellite and the DM800HD.

Noobish question alert...

Is an internal or external hardrive only needed if you want to record or pause TV? Does the DM800 work fine without a hardrive or is this a necessity for it to function?
Just ordered a DM800 so need to know if I should also order a hardrive this week.

Regards,
h.a

C64
28th October, 2009, 11:34 PM
The HardDrive is only for PVR functions mate.

Your box will run fine.

icaicm
28th October, 2009, 11:39 PM
hello

its a good idea having hdd as you can do lots more with it. as mentioned you can record pause and lots more with hdd. also can backup services etc.

another good thing with hdd is you can have multiboot images.

icaicm

C64
28th October, 2009, 11:42 PM
True, a HDD adds a few more features and is highly recommended, but a basic model without an installed HDD will still allow access to HDTV :)

westkill
28th October, 2009, 11:54 PM
or just a usb stick for backing up settings, epg.dat files or multiboot :)

Walkinmyshadow
29th October, 2009, 12:00 AM
I use a 16gb pen drive instead of a harddrive, and it does the job fine,
If I'm running low on memory and i dont want to erase any files for the time being i ftp them to my PC harddrive.

hideous.ape
29th October, 2009, 12:25 AM
Cheers all for that!

Its like going back to school switching from DM500C to DM800S and Satellite. The next can of worms is cardsharing but obviously that will be dealt with off site.

Will probably go with an external E-Sata HD seen as cooling seems to be a major issue with the DM800's.

Thanks again everyone...back to the Noobie guides for me:)

kiko38
2nd November, 2009, 07:25 PM
usb pen is a excelent idea . I think use it also is better than install a hard disc

thanks

foz
3rd November, 2009, 10:58 AM
posted incorrect info sorry removed
foz

hideous.ape
3rd November, 2009, 12:21 PM
Spent a while trying to fit the HD, eventually just removed the external E-Sata port altogether. Serves no purpose if your gonna use an internal HD so that's a good way of making a bit more room for wedging the cables into.