PDA

View Full Version : r4

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 05:48 PM
someone help me please,
i need someone to do an idiots guide to the R4 firmware update. i have just bought the r4 and have been told ill need to do the update.
i have been on various web site and dnt get any of it. am unsure of the exact file i have to down load and then what i do after. sorry for this but help would be greatly appreciated. i am 6 and a half months pregnant and my patients with it are getting thin haha

thanks in advanced :dong:

Tink

pjtaff
3rd November, 2009, 06:50 PM
hi first of all you will need a couple of things the first being the firmware that you need to put on the r4 card
you can download that here
Digital Kaos - Downloads - R4 SDHC v1.25 kernel (English) (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/ds/21/r4-sdhc-v1-25-kernel-english-607/)

next you will need a program called winrar
just google it and you should find it as a free download

so heres a list of how i would do it
1.get a copy of win rar instaled on your computer
2.download the firmware in the link above that i gave you
3.once the download has finished (should only take about a minute) winrar should open up now look on it and it should say on 1 of the tabs extract to click this and choose your destination of where you want the files to go ( what i tend to do is create a new folder on your desktop and call it r4 firmware and extract to that)
4.check that everything is downloaded and extracted to your folder you should have anything between four or five things in your folder.
5.put your r4 memory card into your computer and wait until it opens up on your computer as a blank page
6.now copy all of the things in your r4 firmware folder these should be 5 things named

SYSTEM
MOONSHI
DS MENU
DSMENU
DS MSHL

copy all these files to your sd card

7.create a new folder on your sd card and name it games
(if you dont know how to create a new folder just look on the left hand side of your sd page and your should see a option that says create a new folder)
8 all you need now is some games normaly when you download games thay are in a rar format so just left click the mouse on your game and select extract files here.

once you have done this you will probely have a couple of different things the only thing you need is the game

you will know which one the game is it will be the one that has a .NDS on the end of if

right you got your game now all you need to do is copy it to your games folder on your sd card

once you have done this you can keep on putting games into the games folder using the same procces remember only to put in a file that ends in .NDS cause thats your game

the only other thing is do not totaly fill your card up you need to leave space on it

so if you have a 4gb card you only want to put about 3.4gb of games on it

hope this help you if so click thanks at the bottem

it might sound a bit long winded and dawnting but dont worry it is easy and it should only take you about half hour to set up (as long as you got all the games you want downloaded )

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 07:40 PM
thank you sooo much i love you lol :-)

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 07:50 PM
i have done all of that,
when i put the DS in i get 2 white screens and the top one just says

?
Menu

help lol x

pjtaff
3rd November, 2009, 08:46 PM
what r4 do you have when you bought it what did it say
or what does it say on the box e.g r4 sdhc
r4i
r4v3 upgrade
just so that we know what firmware is the right one for you

also if you visit the site you bought the r4 off lok at the advert again for your r4 and there should be a link on there to download the right firmware

or just tell me what r4 it is and what web site you gought it off and i willl do my best to help

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 08:50 PM
i didnt buy it, believe it or not this DS is for my nan.
the r4 is R4-SDHC 2
i have a 4gb sd card for it

thank you in advance

pjtaff
3rd November, 2009, 08:57 PM
try this link this is the old firmware
Digital Kaos - Downloads - R4 firmware V1.18 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/ds/21/r4-firmware-v1-18-202/)
just delete all the files off your sd card apart from the games folder and then unrar the new firmware open up the folder that says v1.18 and copy all the content to the sd card then hopfully this will work

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 09:19 PM
trying it now thank u so much

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 09:34 PM
nope still the same

pjtaff
3rd November, 2009, 09:50 PM
when you say you have a r4 sdhc 2. do you meen sdhc 11
cause i found firmware for that one at
http://www.dngcity.com/down/Version_1.18.rar

pjtaff
3rd November, 2009, 10:02 PM
sorry that is a dead link try you tube to make sure you are setting it up properly there are some good video's on there for r4 tutorials
the only thing i can think is that you are not putting the files on properly so you tube should be good cause at least you can see it for yourself

hope this helps

tinkerbell2811
3rd November, 2009, 10:12 PM
i will try that. i am formatting that card and gona try again thank you sooo much for your help

cgscott
4th November, 2009, 11:43 AM
Download both the Kernal 1.26 and 1.09b.

Combine both in the card. I have found this works with newer cards. Although if the card was working then it shouldnt really require an update as such.

Be nice if you could match a picture through google to your R4 and post here then i will give you the exact firmware.

bioshen7
4th November, 2009, 07:55 PM
This is exactly what I needed, thanks for the post!

tinkerbell2811
5th November, 2009, 10:36 AM
am fixed, yey i have a working DS. thank you all for you help.

Tink
x

pjtaff
5th November, 2009, 12:54 PM
good stuff what was the prob

tim browne
9th November, 2009, 08:24 AM
am fixed, yey i have a working DS. thank you all for you help.

Tink
x

There so many version for the R4 now, before you update your r4 you need to make sure Which kind of r4 you are using. I know a seller , they sell the R4 online. also they hav many kinds of r4 , maybe you can try to contact them maybe they can help you , their website(), my friend bought the dm800hd for me from their shop in china, so i think they can help you. Thanks.

skr3wball
29th July, 2011, 01:05 PM
thx fr ur help ppl